Finally out of lurk mode and saying hello

JaiissoawesomeJaiissoawesome Registered Users Posts: 1
hello all. I'm a long time lurker and first time poster here.

I've been natural all my life until I turned 16 when my mother allowed me to get my first perm. Up until that time I got made fun of for my thick coily hair and for having it braided all the time. Even though I was considered to have long hair because it was always a little past my shoulders but not quite APL like it is now.

I actually transitioned by accident back to natural while going away to college by keeping my hair in extensions and losing touch with my hairdresser.

So I've been back natural now for 2 years now and although I've gained much inspiration from watching youtube videos I still can't quite figure out what to do with my hair.

My hair is dry, brittle, has no movement and just looks awful but most of that is my fault for not taking care of it.

So my question is: how did you ladies get started on your hair journeys?

Are there any tips for a young woman (22) like me who wants to go on a healthy hair journey but don't know where to start?

Comments

• claudine191claudine191 Registered Users Posts: 8,221 Curl Connoisseur
    Welcome!

I'm just a wavy so no good advice here, but wanted say "hi" and glad to have you.
  • BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    The only tips I can give you is:
    1. read everything on the main site about curly and kinky hair - something's that shouldn't work for your hair type may work and vice versa,
    2. learn your hair density, strand size and porosity
    3. don't be afraid to experiment - YouTube videos are good for giving ideas
    4. learn about ingredients so you can save money on products

Oh and the most important one is rock your hair with confidence as there are some self-haters out there.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Hi. I guess with out knowing more I would start with a slight trim, invest in a couple of good deep conditioning treatments and just start experimenting w different ingredients & techniques. A lot of this is trial and error.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using CurlTalk App

• bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Registered Users Posts: 1,308 Curl Neophyte
    Hey welcome to naturallycurly.com !!!
    Read read read!! Get yourself on cowashing and get cg if possible!! Start learning all the acronyms and sometimes finding people with hair like yours or "hairtwins" can help you tweak your routine until you find something stable. I'm a 3a so I couldn't give you mine but I know some 4's who use products I use similarly and get awesome results! No one curl is the same. Goodluck on your journey!! Don't give up ! :icon_smile:
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:

Leave a Comment