Newbie Issues :: Porosity and Frizz?? Help.

BuffyCupBuffyCup Posts: 11Registered Users
Okay. So I've pretty much determined my hair is 3c/4a. I've only been natural a (rough) year and 2 months. I've never read a hair blog or YouTube until about a month ago. I've been using products without any knowledge. I just knew natural girls that had used them before (my sister being one). She was the one who told me to start learning and here I am. <br />
<br />
I did that porosity test and my hair floated. I guess that means I'm low porosity. But if that's true, why does my hair still frizz like crazy? Shouldn't my hair be less susceptible to it if it's hard to absorb moisture? Maybe I'm not using the right products? I work in night clubs so on my working days I use kinky curly knot today and curling custard (which I also use for twist outs) and on my non working days I use Shea moisture Curl enhancing smoothie and soufflé. <br />
<br />
No matter which I use, if it's humid (at work it always is), I will frizz. Much less frizz with the kinky curly combo (but more shrinkage). And vice versa with the Shea. <br />
<br />
Should I just accept being a frizzy mess?! Help. Lol.
Xo, Buffy

BC - July 4th, 2012
3C/4A
Low Porosity

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Curl Neophyte Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The float test is notoriously unreliable. A better indicator is how long it takes your naked hair to dry. If it dries quickly, it's probably porous. If it takes a long time (6+ hours), it's low. In the middle is normal. When I worked, I'd shower around 6am, diffuse, use no products and it would still be damp at 11:30. I'm low porosity. Now, I use curl towels to scrunch our water and diffuse--with a minimal amount of product, it's still a few hours to dry (maybe 3.)

KCCC is known for making hair take a long time to dry, so it's not a good indicator of porosity. KCKT is a detangler and not conditioner. The SM products just sit on my hair and don't absorb. I had to wash them out.

It seems like you aren't adding enough moisture to your hair. You probably need to do DTs and seal to add and keep moisture to your hair.

You don't say what you're doing to cleanse your hair. Are you cowashing, shampooing?? Did you clarify to remove any build up??

Best thing you can do is read and learn.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BuffyCupBuffyCup Posts: 11Registered Users
    I cowash mostly and my hair does take HOURS to dry. I only shampoo when my hair starts to feel heavy or looks weighed down which is like once every 3-4weeks. The SM sits on my hair for maybe the first 10 min and then it absorbs. Thanks for letting me know about the KC products though. I'm definitely trying to learn and read everything I can. It's just really hard because everyone's hair is different. Lol. Any suggestions on something more lightweight I can use as a leave in and a sealer???
    Xo, Buffy

BC - July 4th, 2012
    3C/4A
    Low Porosity
  • BuffyCupBuffyCup Posts: 11Registered Users
    I use a clarifying when I get the buildup.
    Xo, Buffy

BC - July 4th, 2012
    3C/4A
    Low Porosity
  • kathymackkathymack Curl Neophyte Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You may want to get a hair analysis, so you'll know your properties. If you search, there are a few places that do it--livecurly/live free, Kozama and another one that a member here is doing. I'd question that your hair is low porosity, if it starts to absorb product in 10 minutes. My hair is frequently dry before it finishes absorbing products. That's HOURS, not minutes. Frequently, my hair gets better as the day goes on. Because of the richer products, my hair is well moisturized. I never DT, because my hair doesn't need it.

My hair does well with minute amounts of really rich products, just not "heavy" products like the SM--if you understand the difference. I can't use straight oil/butter, but can use it in well formulated products.

While curly hair will always have a little frizz, you shouldn't have to accept that your hair will be a frizzy mess all of the time. If it needs moisture, you have to up your DTs until it doesn't need the excess moisture. Then do them on a regular basis.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • uofmpantheruofmpanther Posts: 3Registered Users
    Check your products for glycerin. It can make your hair frizz if you are in a humid climate.

Sent from my Kindle Fire

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file