Henna hair dye

AmandacurlsAmandacurls Registered Users Posts: 6,252 Curl Neophyte
So I know this might belong elsewhere but I seem to remember some posters on here using henna to dye their hair. What brands would you recommend and how long does it last? How effective is it in covering grays??

Comments

• B-wavyB-wavy Between Richmond and Charlottesville, VARegistered Users Posts: 1,733 Curl Connoisseur
    This is where to order your henna. The site also has lots of info on how to mix and apply, etc. RCW is our resident henna expert - she's given advice to lots of people here. If she doesn't pop in, do some searches for past threads.
  • RytokaRytoka Registered Users Posts: 309 Curl Neophyte
    I have been using henna for a while now, love it!! I use the same brand the previous poster recommended. It covers grey beautifully and lasts forever! Literally! It does not fade, the only way to get it out of your hair is to grow it out or cut it. But I adore it, my hair always feels great after I put it in. Since going CG my hair is growing much faster than it used to ( 3/4-1inch per month) so I am doing my roots every month to cover grey with no damage
    Katie
    2C/3a, Medium Texture, Normal porosity, High Density, Normal Elasticity (so says the LCLF Hair analysis)
    Co Wash: As I am
    RO: Yes To Carrots / Ion
    LI: Biotera / Samy Big Curls Defining Cream
    Gel: FSG, Volumax (Original and Mega)
    Color: Henna
    Tools: Diffusing
    :thumright:
  • secret_karmasecret_karma Registered Users Posts: 438
    I have it on my hair right now! I can't access the link that was posted above but I use Jamila henna and I usually purchase it from Hennasooq or a local Indian store, although I might try a different brand next time. I've been using henna to cover my grays for about 5 years. I only apply it to my roots and not my entire head; I apply my deep conditioner to the length of my hair. I henna about every other month or so. After the color deposits it doesn't wash away so it stays on your hair.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CurlTalk App
  • RytokaRytoka Registered Users Posts: 309 Curl Neophyte
    Lol it's my touch up day too :) I do the same, only apply to roots to cover grey.
    Katie
    2C/3a, Medium Texture, Normal porosity, High Density, Normal Elasticity (so says the LCLF Hair analysis)
    Co Wash: As I am
    RO: Yes To Carrots / Ion
    LI: Biotera / Samy Big Curls Defining Cream
    Gel: FSG, Volumax (Original and Mega)
    Color: Henna
    Tools: Diffusing
    :thumright:
  • BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    The henna I use is from a local Indian grocery store.

Women from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh have traditionally used mehendi for body art as well as for the hair.

I currently have used up all my body art henna, and my next packets to use up are hair henna with added herbs like alma.

If you have a little grey the henna on it isn't really noticeable however if you have a lot more then it highlights it. However make sure you leave it on 4-8 hours to get the best results.
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Registered Users Posts: 4,858 Curl Neophyte
    Best is natural, body-art-grade henna with no chemicals, metals, salts, etc. that can wreak havoc with your results, especially if used over chemical hair color - BAG henna is just the plant itself, bought from the henna site or purchased locally. You can find all sorts of tips at that site, including a free e-book by henna expert Catherine Cartwright-Jones that I can highly recommend.

There are mix recipes that people post with photos of their results and most anything else you might need. But there's also a lot of info in various threads here at NC.com, and not just that one humongous one, LOL.

ETA: If you simply want to purchase the henna and don't need any of the other info, you can go directly to Mehandi.com, or you can link to them from the Henna for Hair site in my link above.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file