We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo?

iAmberiAmber Posts: 13Registered Users
I go back and forth between wearing my hair curly or straight and only when I straighten my hair do I use products that contain silicones. I've been searching for a gentle shampoo that I can use no matter what I'm doing with my hair, so I thought that the Trader Joe's tea tree tingle shampoo might be a good option. While doing some research I discovered that this shampoo does have a light sulfate in it, but I'm not sure if it's enough to cleanse the hair of silicones. Is the tea tree tingle shampoo suitable for this purpose? If not, any other suggestions are appreciated. I've also thought about buying the Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo.

Comments

  • SuzyQ3SuzyQ3 Posts: 52Registered Users
    I have used the shampoo but wasn't aware that it had any sulfates. That said, I can't tell you how much I hated it. I thought it was so great to find a very inexpensive, sulfate-free shampoo, but it made my hair feel like straw, really horrible. And the conditioner was useless.

    I discarded both.
  • iAmberiAmber Posts: 13Registered Users
    Oh wow, that's surprising. I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully I'll have better results- although my hair texture is 4a, so I'll be wary of that. Thanks for the input. :)
  • rainboerainboe Posts: 284Registered Users
    I've been using it, and I like it on my hair.
    Fine Texture, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity. Dyed to brown a few months ago.
    Lowpoo: Trader Joe's TTT Shampoo
    Rinse Out:
    Yes to Carrots, AOHR, Aubrey Organics Rosemary Peppermint
    LI: Yes to Carrots
    Stylers: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, LA Looks Sports, Suave Professionals Captivating Curls Whipped Mousse
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    This has been by go to poo for years. One of few I use. Great to clean hair and scalp. The truth for my scalp.
    Not sure where you got sulfate info from. I'm looking at ingredients. The bottle even says" our product contains no laurel laureth sulfates and is suitable for all types of hair".
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,272Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The Coconut Derivatives (C12-14 Olefin Sulfonate) it contains, though coconut derived, is fairly harsh, like SLS in terms of aggravating the skin. Not a "true" sulfate really, but that's what people are referring to.

    What Makes a Cleansing Ingredient More Harsh or More Gentle?

    THE NATURAL HAVEN: Are sulfate free shampoos really gentler?

    Cleansing Agents in Shampoos
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

    Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • SuzyQ3SuzyQ3 Posts: 52Registered Users
    Geek_Chic wrote: »
    The Coconut Derivatives (C12-14 Olefin Sulfonate) it contains, though coconut derived, is fairly harsh, like SLS in terms of aggravating the skin. Not a "true" sulfate really, but that's what people are referring to.

    What Makes a Cleansing Ingredient More Harsh or More Gentle?

    THE NATURAL HAVEN: Are sulfate free shampoos really gentler?

    Cleansing Agents in Shampoos

    Oh, wow. Yes, I am aware that that ingredient is considered just as harsh as SLS and SLES. I don't whether I can necessarily blame my bad experience with this shampoo on that, but now that I have gone sulfate-free, I won't use any product with this ingredient either.
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    Geek_Chic wrote: »
    The Coconut Derivatives (C12-14 Olefin Sulfonate) it contains, though coconut derived, is fairly harsh, like SLS in terms of aggravating the skin. Not a "true" sulfate really, but that's what people are referring to.

    What Makes a Cleansing Ingredient More Harsh or More Gentle?

    THE NATURAL HAVEN: Are sulfate free shampoos really gentler?

    Cleansing Agents in Shampoos

    Thanks. This explains why my hair responds to this shampoo so well. I don't like moisturizing shampoos I tried because they didn't get my hair clean enough. Yet I need all product all everything out once a week. Otherwise my hair won't accept moisture. TTT doesn't irritate my skin as this article mentions and doesn't dry out my hair like sulfates.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • iAmberiAmber Posts: 13Registered Users
    Geek_Chic wrote: »
    The Coconut Derivatives (C12-14 Olefin Sulfonate) it contains, though coconut derived, is fairly harsh, like SLS in terms of aggravating the skin. Not a "true" sulfate really, but that's what people are referring to.

    What Makes a Cleansing Ingredient More Harsh or More Gentle?

    THE NATURAL HAVEN: Are sulfate free shampoos really gentler?

    Cleansing Agents in Shampoos


    Thanks for the articles, they were helpful. However, I'm still not sure if C14-16 oefin sulfonate can cleanse hair of most silicones. I suppose I'm asking this because, through reading the articles I realized that another shampoo I have ( KC come clean) has the same ingredient and I always thought that it wouldn't be an effective shampoo if I needed to rid my hair of silicones. Besides this, I'm not sure if the fact that C14-16 oefin sulfonate is a "gentler" sulfate means that is or isn't able to remove silicones.
  • SuzyQ3SuzyQ3 Posts: 52Registered Users
    iAmber wrote: »
    Geek_Chic wrote: »
    The Coconut Derivatives (C12-14 Olefin Sulfonate) it contains, though coconut derived, is fairly harsh, like SLS in terms of aggravating the skin. Not a "true" sulfate really, but that's what people are referring to.

    What Makes a Cleansing Ingredient More Harsh or More Gentle?

    THE NATURAL HAVEN: Are sulfate free shampoos really gentler?

    Cleansing Agents in Shampoos


    Thanks for the articles, they were helpful. However, I'm still not sure if C14-16 oefin sulfonate can cleanse hair of most silicones. I suppose I'm asking this because, through reading the articles I realized that another shampoo I have ( KC come clean) has the same ingredient and I always thought that it wouldn't be an effective shampoo if I needed to rid my hair of silicones. Besides this, I'm not sure if the fact that C14-16 oefin sulfonate is a "gentler" sulfate means that is or isn't able to remove silicones.

    As you can see from the second two links, there is not a consensus that olefin sulfonates are more gentle than SLS/SLES. The Natural Haven actually considers it to be just as harsh as SLS. The site also states that SLES is more gentle than olefin sulfonate.
  • iAmberiAmber Posts: 13Registered Users
    The post in the natural haven only stated that olefin sulfonate was comparable in irritablility, not in effectiveness ( from what i gathered). And to quote the third article "Anything with a carbon count above 12 (in even increments) is considered to be less harsh (than SLS)." C14-16 oefin sulfonate is clearly above that level. Honestly, the scientific details of the ingredients that go into hair products has always thrown me for a loop, which is why I posted my first question. So if anyone could just give me a really simple answer I'd appreciate it so much. I did find it surprising that clarifying/ " sulfate free" shampoos which are supposedly better for your curls can still strip your natural oils so much ( which I first noticed when using KCCC and even Shea Moisture's raw shea shampoo). Maneuvering the curly girl method can be tricky at times so I'm still trying to find a gentle way to clarify my hair and also maintain my hair's health as well as I can when straightening too.
  • SuzyQ3SuzyQ3 Posts: 52Registered Users
    iAmber wrote: »
    The post in the natural haven only stated that olefin sulfonate was comparable in irritablility, not in effectiveness ( from what i gathered). And to quote the third article "Anything with a carbon count above 12 (in even increments) is considered to be less harsh (than SLS)." C14-16 oefin sulfonate is clearly above that level. Honestly, the scientific details of the ingredients that go into hair products has always thrown me for a loop, which is why I posted my first question. So if anyone could just give me a really simple answer I'd appreciate it so much. I did find it surprising that clarifying/ " sulfate free" shampoos which are supposedly better for your curls can still strip your natural oils so much ( which I first noticed when using KCCC and even Shea Moisture's raw shea shampoo). Maneuvering the curly girl method can be tricky at times so I'm still trying to find a gentle way to clarify my hair and also maintain my hair's health as well as I can when straightening too.

    JMO, but I think they are using the terms irritability and harshness interchangeably and that harshness means that it will remove build-up from your hair. Other than that, I can't tell you with any certainty whether this particular shampoo with rid your hair of silicones, but if you google "will olefin sulfates remove silicone," you will get some opinions.
  • iAmberiAmber Posts: 13Registered Users
    Alright, thanks. I'll try that. :)
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    SuzyQ3 wrote: »
    iAmber wrote: »
    The post in the natural haven only stated that olefin sulfonate was comparable in irritablility, not in effectiveness ( from what i gathered). And to quote the third article "Anything with a carbon count above 12 (in even increments) is considered to be less harsh (than SLS)." C14-16 oefin sulfonate is clearly above that level. Honestly, the scientific details of the ingredients that go into hair products has always thrown me for a loop, which is why I posted my first question. So if anyone could just give me a really simple answer I'd appreciate it so much. I did find it surprising that clarifying/ " sulfate free" shampoos which are supposedly better for your curls can still strip your natural oils so much ( which I first noticed when using KCCC and even Shea Moisture's raw shea shampoo). Maneuvering the curly girl method can be tricky at times so I'm still trying to find a gentle way to clarify my hair and also maintain my hair's health as well as I can when straightening too.

    JMO, but I think they are using the terms irritability and harshness interchangeably and that harshness means that it will remove build-up from your hair. Other than that, I can't tell you with any certainty whether this particular shampoo with rid your hair of silicones, but if you google "will olefin sulfates remove silicone," you will get some opinions.

    I took irritation to mean a skin issue. I guess a lot of this is subjective.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • SuzyQ3SuzyQ3 Posts: 52Registered Users
    adthomas wrote: »
    SuzyQ3 wrote: »
    iAmber wrote: »
    The post in the natural haven only stated that olefin sulfonate was comparable in irritablility, not in effectiveness ( from what i gathered). And to quote the third article "Anything with a carbon count above 12 (in even increments) is considered to be less harsh (than SLS)." C14-16 oefin sulfonate is clearly above that level. Honestly, the scientific details of the ingredients that go into hair products has always thrown me for a loop, which is why I posted my first question. So if anyone could just give me a really simple answer I'd appreciate it so much. I did find it surprising that clarifying/ " sulfate free" shampoos which are supposedly better for your curls can still strip your natural oils so much ( which I first noticed when using KCCC and even Shea Moisture's raw shea shampoo). Maneuvering the curly girl method can be tricky at times so I'm still trying to find a gentle way to clarify my hair and also maintain my hair's health as well as I can when straightening too.

    JMO, but I think they are using the terms irritability and harshness interchangeably and that harshness means that it will remove build-up from your hair. Other than that, I can't tell you with any certainty whether this particular shampoo with rid your hair of silicones, but if you google "will olefin sulfates remove silicone," you will get some opinions.

    I took irritation to mean a skin issue. I guess a lot of this is subjective.

    I think it IS a skin issue. Perhaps I didn't phrase my comment very well, but what I was suggesting is that what makes an ingredient an irritant might also make it harsh, at least in this case, because it does seem that the "harsh" sulfates do remove silicones, whereas the jury is out when it comes to some of the more gentle cleansing agents. But I'm no chemist, that's for sure.
  • l0kkital0kkita Posts: 2Registered Users
    Such a great price for such a big bottle of what I thought was CG friendly shampoo. Sad to hear about the harsh ingredients! I guess I won't be returning back to this shampoo...
  • MarixpressMarixpress Posts: 91Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I bought this shampoo in a hurry while in line thinking it was CG approved. I could have sworn it was mentioned in many threads! Anyway, I tried it out and it left my hair feeling a bit brittle. The sulfate culprit was listed low down on the ingredients list. Maybe I can mix it with my V05 kiwi condish when I need a mild clarifying treatment. I can't wait to get this whole curly girl thing down to a science.
    Day 1 of Curly Girl method: 10/5/13
    3b Mostly Normal Porosity. Medium Density, Fine to Medium Width, Medium Texture.
    SM Y&B TS and Condish. Ecostyler with Argan oil gel.
    Daughter: Long frizzy Swavy 2a turned Wavy Curvy 2B - thanks to Devachan, Low Porosity, Medium Texture, High Density
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh, crumb! My ADD must have kicked in when I was reading that label. I never saw the C14-16 olefin sulfonate.
    Peace,
    Morgan

    Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • Elizabeth.KuElizabeth.Ku Posts: 2Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I was really excited about this product at first. I've being switching between a low poo and a co wash (both from deva curl) for a few months and my scalp never felt clean. I've used the tea tre tingle shampoo with a deva curl condition for about 2 weeks now and I hate it. At first T was fine, my scalp was clean at least and it smelled great. But now my hair is straw like when it used to be soft and my curl pattern has disappeared. I'm going to switch back to a low poo and try the tea tree tingle as a clarifying treated every other week or so instead to see if I can balance it out. I wouldn't recommend using this as an everyday/every other day shampoo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file