When did your baby start walking?

M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
E is almost 13 months and not walking. Standing, cruising along furniture, and can stand for a while by herself...but it's almost like she can't figure out to move her legs, to BEND her knees to start walking.

R was walking by 11 months.

Sooooo...being the paranoid and neurotic mom that I am, I am thinking that something is wrong with her. Plus, comparing her to older brother doesn't help.

I have read that babies that are more laid back don't reach milestones as early as their more sensitve counterparts. R was and still is WAY more sensitive and on-the-go than E is...she's extremely laid back...so I am hoping that's all it is. Her next well baby isn't until 15 months and I don't think it warrants a separate visit to the pedi.

Thoughts?
:rambo:

Comments

• j'adorej'adore Posts: 1,966Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Marley started at about 12 months or so. It took a bit longer for her to get really good at it.
    "Don't play me...I'm over 30, and I don't smoke weed"
    -Prince

catcatadr20050914_-8_Marley+is.png
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    Ben started at around 12 months. Then again, he never crawled or pulled himself up or cruised before he walked. Probably because he had someone to hold him up and walk him around all day.

Your bebe girl is well within the realm of normal. Probably being laid back has a lot to do with it. Is she a good crawler? I've heard that kids who are prodigies at crawling can walk late because the crawling works really well for them. I would not worry about it, especially since it seems she is right on the verge.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    geeky wrote:
    Ben started at around 12 months. Then again, he never crawled or pulled himself up or cruised before he walked. Probably because he had someone to hold him up and walk him around all day.

Your bebe girl is well within the realm of normal. Probably being laid back has a lot to do with it. Is she a good crawler? I've heard that kids who are prodigies at crawling can walk late because the crawling works really well for them. I would not worry about it, especially since it seems she is right on the verge.

OMG, she crawls so fast we call her "Lightening." Hubby said that as well, that crawling just goes so much faster than trying to walk...she goes down on all fours and BAM!!! Gone.
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Posts: 1,955Registered Users
    Max was like 14 months or so. I remember it being right after "Santa" bought him one of those things you push around to help with walking for christmas. He just got where he was going by crawling and didn't think he needed to do anything else.
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    I had a friend who's child didn't walk until 18 months, but he crawled like greased lightning LOL :lol:

kid #1 9 months
    kid #2 10 months
    kid #3 11 months
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    Kid #1: 8 months :shock:

Kid #2: almost 14 months. I was freaking out! She didn't crawl, either. She'd cruise, or kind of pull herself along on the floor. She was a more relaxed baby, and while she met her cognitive milestones around when her brother did, she was much later with her motor milestones.

BTW, the PTs I have worked with like to see some independent steps by 15 months. If not, they'd want to make sure that other motor milestones/ movement patterns are looking good (i.e. there's not a physical reason why baby can't walk).

You can try holding her by the hips when you "walk" her, rather than by the hands. It makes her do more of the work, and it encourages her to develop the weight shift patterns necessary for good walking.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Xander was a later walker but he crawled like speed racer. He will still drop down and crawl if he thinks it's faster. He started taking steps at about 13-14 months (12 months adjusted) but didn't decide to walk full time until around his 15 month check up. His doctor wasn't worried at all. He told me that because X was such an efficient crawler, there was little motivation to walk.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    15 months.

B tends to not do something until she knows she CAN do it. She was perfectly happy with getting along by crawling, so there was no reason for her to walk.

She stood up and took her first steps the day we were leaving for our honeymoon. :shock: She was exactly 14 months at the time. And then she kinda waited til we got back until she really walked.

She never even did the cruise around the coffee table thing. She'd pull herself up and stand, but didn't bother trying to get around. She hasn't stopped moving since though!!

Plus, think of it this way - if there was something develpmentally wrong with her legs, she wouldn't be able to get around by crawling real well either. It's just one of those, they'll do it when they're ready things.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    Ian - 11 months on the day, just picked up and walked.

Ryan - about 3 weeks after his first birthday. He was a quick crawler but honestly, why crawl or walk when big brother will bring you anything you look at. :lol:

I also knew someone who had a son that didn't walk until 18 months. I say she's definitely still in the realm of normal like Geeky said.
  • deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    not to guano this thread but...

What about crawling ?? When does that start... Liam will be 7 months March 8th and he is just sitting up without support.. but not for very long!!

~d
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    deedles wrote:

What about crawling ?? When does that start... Liam will be 7 months March 8th and he is just sitting up without support.. but not for very long!!

~d

I don't think B really started sitting up until 7 months either. I don't remember off the top of my head, but it wasn't until she was like 9 or 10 months that she started crawling.

I had to physically stop myself from freaking out that something was wrong with her, or she was doing things too slow!!!

Really, it doesn't matter and it doesn't say anything about them other than they'll do it when they want to!

• geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    deedles wrote:

~d

Some kids never crawl. That's normal too.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
    geeky wrote:
    deedles wrote:

~d

Some kids never crawl. That's normal too.

That's true also.

And in fact, I say B "crawled" but she really didn't crawl, she kind of crab walked, on one knee, with her other leg bent, and using her foot to push off. She NEVER crawled normally.

It was so funny b/c some people would think that something was wrong with her, or that she had a leg development problem. :roll:

Nobody teaches a baby how to crawl, and most babies don't have any form of reference to compare it to when crawling. They just do what they do to get themselves around.

• DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    deedles wrote:

~d

Xander started sitting unsupported at around 7 months and started crawling around 9 months. He was weird. He did none of the preliminary crawling movements like scooting. He started trying to crawl one day and took off about two days later.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    My son walked at exactly 9 months.

My daughter walked at 10 months.

I think both my kids were just too active to be interested in crawling. :lol:

I wouldn't worry about E just yet. She's still within range and like you said, is a laid back kind of gal.
  • MarMar Posts: 3,004Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My #3 son started at 14 mo.
    #2 was 10 mo
    #1 was 8 1/2 mo!
    "what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
    -Mother Theresa
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Karan started pseudo-crawling (more dragging himself around like Gollum) at 11.5 months and was walking at 12.5 months. He never cruised and to this day I don't think I've ever seen him roll over!

M2LR - your little girl is totally normal! I actually have a friend with twin boys: one walked at 11 months and the other didn't walk until 16 months!
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My kids all walked within 2 weeks, plus or minus, of their 1st birthday. If your baby is standing and cruising at 13 months, I wouldn't worry a bit.

Crawling is something that not all kids do. Some only crawl for a few days before they learn to stand up to walk instead. My last baby was so physically advanced...sitting unsupported at 3 months, standing and crawling at 5 months. I thought I was in for it for sure...that he would be an early walker and wreak havoc on me and my patience. But, he was so good at crawling, he didn't really need to walk and he was my latest walker at 12.5 months. You really can't predict.
  • itsjustmeghanitsjustmeghan Posts: 652Registered Users
    owen didn't crawl for a long time. he did what we called "the pirate". it wasn't quite an army crawl. it looked like he was trying to swim the side stroke on the floor! we wanted to get him a bandana and a plastic knife to hold in his teeth. hahaha.
    i think he officially learned how to crawl on all 4s around i think he was around 10 or 11 months. he's just turned 1 saturday and he's not walking yet. he pulls up fine, cruises furniture but doesn't dare let go. he got a walker for christmas, but doesn't use it just yet. it's too fast for him. instead, we have a metal folding chair that he's more then happy to push around on our hardwood floors. i have him do a couple laps every night.
    i'm not too worried. my neice did the same thing. she didn't start walking until she was around 15 months. and by then she skipped straight to running!
    my cousin's baby had to go to physical therapy because she decided to knee walk instead of walk on her feet. they didn't start testing on her until she was closer to 20 months, so he's got plenty of time to figure it out.
    3A Once again on the quest for BSL healthy curly hair....
  • sundaysunday Posts: 535Registered Users
    My son will be one on Saturday and he isn't walking yet. I asked my pediatrician and she said a lot has to do with genetics. I didn't walk until I was 18 months! But now I'm really good at it. :lol:
    3 something
    fotki pw: sunday
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm trying to remember when S was crawling - seven months or so? She was cruising around nine and ten months and she thought she could walk (constantly letting go and just going for it as if she could walk and um...not so much) around that time.

She started doing this thing where she'd crawl on her hands and feet instead of knees, then she was getting around on JUST her knees, then one knee and one foot (the oddest thing and I'll see if I can post video later), then one day she just stood up and walked. I remember her starting to take steps before Christmas, which was 11 months, but actual directional and no-falling walking was just after her first birthday.

I was a birthday party about two weeks ago with four or five kids all within a few weeks of S's age. She was the only one walking at that point but you know how they just suddenly pick something up. I'm sure at least one of them is rock climbing by now :wink:
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    our son was walking at 11 months, just shy of his first birthday. just by chance, i caught it on video as he walked across the room toward me!

our daughter was walking at 13 months, about halfway through the month. up until the time she was consistently walking, she would take 3-5 steps, drop, and crawl the rest of the way.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Wouldn't you know...

Apparently walked across the living room last night unassisted, and hubby said that when he picked her up from school they commented that she's doing much better at walking, literally OVERNIGHT.

I wasn't there to see it, of course...but I am glad that she's moving forward.

I don't think that worrying aobut SOMETHING ever stops. :)
  • DayzieDayzie Posts: 233Registered Users
    My 2nd didn't walk unitl 14 mo. I think crawling got her around really well, and she didn't even consider walking before that. Then one day she just kind of took off, and has been on the move ever since.

ETA, congrats to little E for taking those first few steps :D . There's no going back now!
    "You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing."

"There is so much good in the worst of us and so much bad in the best of us, it hardly behooves any of us to talk about the rest of us."
  • loosecurlsloosecurls Posts: 637Registered Users
    Bets took her first steps just past 10 mos & then a couple weeks later really took off walking.

Now she just runs or skips. Walking's not in her repetoire!
    Slinky's rule for NC.com:

I suppose I can't judge you because you married a serviceman and it is wartime. Boo hoo. You must be loney sitting at home with nothing else to do but pick on people. Why don't you go masterbate again?
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Wouldn't you know...

Apparently walked across the living room last night unassisted, and hubby said that when he picked her up from school they commented that she's doing much better at walking, literally OVERNIGHT.

That's how it works. I consider a toddler who takes just ONE unassisted step to be a "walker", because once they take that first step, they can walk whenever/wherever they want to.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    Feels like it's walking now..... j/k!
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• Swirlycurly ChemistSwirlycurly Chemist Posts: 335Registered Users
    Aurora crawled like lightning at 6 months, took a few steps at ten months, and around 11 months took off running and has not looked back yet. Mama is tired!
    3A canopy with 3B underneath
    Low poo, not afraid of amine-based silicones or polyquats, silk proteins are good as well.
  • Jenny CJenny C Posts: 1,195Registered Users
    Lucy just turned 9 months and she doesn't seem even close to walking.

She doesn't crawl yet either, but she's just starting to lift her torso off the floor so I imagine she'll figure it out soon. She's a really good roller though so she manages to get where she wants to go.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • CsaracCsarac Posts: 861Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My daughter didn't start walking until she was 17 months old. I was stressing over it for a while there, but then I got over it. I figured, just like everything else, she'll do it when she is good and ready.
    HG: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee (always and forever)
    Cantu Naturals s & c (shampoo 1x a week), use conditioner as a co-wash every day and LI under my gel.

Air dry then diffuse canapy layers only for volume
    Coconut oil before/after coloring grays and on ends.

2b/c mix waves/curls - coarse, frizz prone, med. thick, porous, at-home color, protein sensitive but I still need it sometimes, glycerin-sensitive (I think) in high humidity. After 16 years on NC.com I FINALLY figured it out..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file