Did you just "know" what sex your baby was?

medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
I really am starting to feel like an out of touch freak. I keep reading about women you instinctively "know" the sex of their baby. I've been pregnant 4 times and I never "knew." :?

With #1, everyone told me it was a boy. They had me believing it too. But I never was sure until he was born.

With #2, most everyone said it was another boy. I was brainwashed again. But it was a girl! :D

With #3, the only thing I had a sense about was that something wasn't right with the baby. I had no feeling about the sex. When we got the pathology report, it turned out to be a boy.

And here I am, on my 4th pregnancy and I have no freakin' idea what I'm having. I think girl because of those old wive's tales. But not because I feel anything. I tend to be very intuitive about most things. Why not with the babies I carry?

Comments

• three rivers curlythree rivers curly Posts: 994Registered Users
    Yes. I knew instantly. Everyone wanted me to have a boy - except DH. He really wanted a little girl. I'm so glad that is what he got! :D
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

http://public.fotki.com/hmiklos
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I had no clue and I really didn't even think about it that much. DH said it was going to be a boy because his family only makes boys and a couple of people told me "boy" but I had no feeling either way.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • mel_80mel_80 Posts: 173Registered Users
    Apparently, I knew but I psyched myself out of believing it. In every dream that I had before my ultrasound the baby was a boy. For that reason I figured I would have a girl, because surely my "intuition" wouldn't be right for my first child. Well lo and behold it's a boy. In hindsight, I really should have trusted the dream because it was a dream that tipped me off to the fact that I might have been pregnant in the first place.
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Posts: 1,955Registered Users
    With the first one I pretty much knew early on I don't know how I knew I just knew but then I had a dream that he was actually a girl so then I was like maybe I'm wrong and am having a girl and was kind of excited to be having a girl and then at the U/S we were told it was a boy. This time around I wasn't sure what vibe I was getting at first I was kind of thinking it might be a girl and then one day without thinking I called the baby a "he" and then I was like I can't start that if it ends up being a girl but it just kept happening and then at the U/S they told us we were having a boy. We have another U/S in March I can't wait to make sure it's a boy.
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    Sort of.

The first time, I just knew I was having a girl. Everyone but his father thought it was a girl, too. In fact, when I heard "Oh, it's my little boy", I asked to see for myself :lol: . So, I was really wrong- Max is a boy.

The second time, the pregnancy was quite different and I kept thinking girl, but after the first fiasco, I didn't trust my intuition at all. So I was kind of surprised when the untrasound revealed a girl.
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I knew that #1 was a boy from the moment I was pregnant (yes, I felt the implantation with him as well). Called him "him" from day one, and it felt odd to refer to him as "her" or "it" or "the baby."

With number 2, I wasn't so sure. I knew that I was pregnant right away (although didn't feel the implantation), and I had several other people telling me it was a girl, but I didn't get any "gut" feelings.
    :rambo:
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I think it's a pretty impossible question to answer because there are only 2 choices so either way there is a 50/50 choice that your hunch is right. If there were ten or twenty genders and people's hunches were often right there might be more to it.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Amneris wrote:
    I think it's a pretty impossible question to answer because there are only 2 choices so either way there is a 50/50 choice that your hunch is right. If there were ten or twenty genders and people's hunches were often right there might be more to it.

In another thread, you refer to your baby as "him."

I think that medussa is talking more about gut feelings than anything else...do you have a gut feeling that the baby is a boy?
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    I knew with all 3. Of course I could just be a really good guesser :D
    Yeah I was always good at multiple choice tests
  • KajaKaja Posts: 38Registered Users
    I knew. I always knew I would have a girl first.

In fact, I tried really hard to visualize a boy (and imagine how great it would be) because if I was wrong, I didn't want to feel weird about it. But it was hard - I just couldn't see myself at this point in time having a son.
    "...both of us are ugly - except for me!" Pippi Longstocking

.png
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Amneris wrote:

I agree. And yes, Amneris did refer to her baby as a "him" but once again, she probably did not want to call it an "it", and chose a gender - to which she has a 50% chance of being right with.

Then again, the old wives tales are total crap b/c they are only still around b/c they SOMETIMES work - but the fact that you have a FEELING and still have a 50/50 chance of being right - well that's totally different!!

(*hint of sarcasm?*)
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Amneris wrote:

Amneris, I'm not asking for some scientifically-based opinion here. I'm asking about your "gut feeling." Why don't you just answer the question like you have in 10 other threads here? You have a feeling you are carrying a boy. That's all the response I was looking for.

Babywavy, you're feeling boy too, aren't you?
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    yeah but apparently my womanly intuition needs tweaking. :lol:

Geeky - what your hubby said reminds me of a friend that just delivered. In I don't know how many generations her hubby's family hasn't "made" any girls so with #2 she was just thinking it will be another boy (she was happy). They had a girl. She says her jaw dropped in the delivery room when her husband announced the sex. Total surprise.
    My husband's brother just made a girl, so apparently it is possible

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    medussa wrote:
    Amneris wrote:

Amneris, I'm not asking for some scientifically-based opinion here. I'm asking about your "gut feeling." Why don't you just answer the question like you have in 10 other threads here? You have a feeling you are carrying a boy. That's all the response I was looking for.

I don't think I'm *feeling* anything, because any feelings I have would be based on other things that would trigger that feeling.

For instance, I'm totally comparing this pregnancy to my first, and in doing so there are many different things going on. That combined with the old wives tale factors that tell me I'm having a boy are going to make me *think* I'm carrying a boy, but only because there are other things that have me conditioned into thinking that way.

Does that make any sense?

I'm trying to keep it in my head that I could be having either, because honestly I have no way of knowing. From the beginning things like the way I felt, my morning sickness, my cravings, the way I'm carrying, the rate at which my hair grows - to me all these things point to boy, so I didn't get a chance to have a *feeling* before my opinion was biased for other reasons.

That, and I think sometimes we *feel* we're having what we want to have. I don't think my feelings could get over the other factors enough for me to rely on them.

I guess I just replied too much on my intuition for my first bebe. I totally knew that my boy was a boy.

I did try to convince myself that it might be different, but NOPE.
    all this old wives tale talk makes me think about that trick where you hold a pencil that is attached to a thread with a needle and you hold it over your wrist and it is supposed to tell you what gender of kids you will have in your life. I did it a few years ago and it said 2 boys and then I think a girl but we're not planning on a 3rd. Anyone else ever tried that or the wedding ring trick?? I'm not saying it really works but it's fun to try
  • cajuncurlscajuncurls Posts: 270Registered Users
    For my first daughter, dr told me he was 95% sure it was a boy. But I had dresses already and KNEW she was a girl.
    For my second daughter, one night when I was 6 mo preg, I had an extremely vivid dream that I woke up in an orange booth in McDonalds. I knew I had given birth (seemed perfectly normal to be doing this in a fast food joint in the dream) and saw the bassinet with a pink blanket in it. I asked the nurse to bring me the baby, and when she put her in my arms, she was so beautiful - coal black curls, olive complexion and rosy cheeks and lips.
    The dream stood out because my oldest was fair like her dad, and bald.
    When she was born and they put her on my chest, she was the EXACT baby in my dream.
    Did you do it for love? Did you do it for money? Did you do it for spite? Did you think you had to, honey?
    - Eagles

age.png

age.png
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    M2LR & Co. wrote:
    I guess I just replied too much on my intuition for my first bebe. I totally knew that my boy was a boy.

This was me too. I tried to will his penis to fall off before the u/s but he defied me.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
    DarkAngel wrote:
    M2LR & Co. wrote:

This was me too. I tried to will his penis to fall off before the u/s but he defied me.

:lol: And look at him in your avatar, with a pink boa, nonetheless!

Babywavy, your post makes total sense to me. It didn't at first, though.

I'm really in awe of those of you who dream of or just know what your baby will be. Very cool.
    medussa wrote:
    DarkAngel wrote:
    M2LR & Co. wrote:

:lol: And look at him in your avatar, with a pink boa, nonetheless!

Babywavy, your post makes total sense to me. It didn't at first, though.

I'm really in awe of those of you who dream of or just know what your baby will be. Very cool.

Nothing I say makes any sense to people. :lol: - I tend to repeat myself like 3 times, and then use analogies, sometimes charades, and handpuppets to get my point across.

babywavy wrote:
    Nothing I say makes any sense to people. :lol: - I tend to repeat myself like 3 times, and then use analogies, sometimes charades, and handpuppets to get my point across.

Well, that's what happens to our brains when we have kids. ;) :lol:
  • HairproductjunkieHairproductjunkie Posts: 363Registered Users
    I knew that this one would be a girl. Everyone else thought it would be a girl, too, and I jokingly commented that I was betting on a boy, just because I would be the only one that was right. :) But I always knew it would be a girl. Didn't surprise me a bit when the ultrasound confirmed it.
    GuardianB wrote:
    Southern gals rock :!:
    How did you know, Poopsie?
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    medussa wrote:
    Amneris wrote:

I do have that feeling, but what I meant is that I have no way of knowing if I am right or not until the baby is born, and then there is a 50% chance or so that he is a boy, so just because he is wouldn't mean my feeling was right, if that makes any sense...

I read somewhere about a woman who ALWAYS wanted a daughter, wanted her firstborn to be a girl, wasn't comfortable with having a boy, etc. That is how I have always felt, too. But she started having these gut feelings that she had a boy very early in her first pregnancy. When she finally went for the ultrasound (she chose to find out) the baby was a girl. She felt that she had had the "boy" vibes to get her brain used to the possibility that it COULD be a boy. That makes a lot of sense in my case.

Interestingly, any dream I've had about the baby has shown a girl, and the boy vibes happen when I am awake....
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Thanks for clarifying what you meant, A. And sorry for being a little b i t c h y to you in my earlier response.
    I was thinking about this earlier today, maybe I did have an inkling. The boy's name I just knew what I wanted it to be, even before I was pregnant. A girl's name I could not visualize quite so clearly, even though we did pick one out. Maybe that was a sign.

geeky wrote:
    I was thinking about this earlier today, maybe I did have an inkling. The boy's name I just knew what I wanted it to be, even before I was pregnant. A girl's name I could not visualize quite so clearly, even though we did pick one out. Maybe that was a sign.

Geeky, now that you mention it, we had M's full name picked out way before he was born. I went to the hospital with 5 girl names on a post-it, hoping to figure it out once the baby was born. Maybe that was a sign for us. I just didn't see it.
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I didn't "know" I was having a girl, but I just really saw myself with a girl. I couldn't imagine myself as a mother to a boy at that time. All my thinking was in terms of "girl" - and that's what I got.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file