Canning, pickling, dehydrating and other random food ideas

scrillsscrills Registered Users Posts: 6,700
So between buying a dehydrator and picking 30 pounds of apples, i'm going to try my hand at preserving some of summer/fall's bounty. That, and I'm allergic to most commerically produced canned and dried foods.

With my dehydrators, so far I've mad a couple of things (Strawberries, bananas, apple chips)

As for canning, I think I'm going to start with pear preserves and a caramel apple jam.

Anyone can, pickle or dehydrate? Care to share any recipes or tips?

Comments

• scrillsscrills Registered Users Posts: 6,700
    I should add, I am going pectin free (due to a sulfite allergy)
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Can I put in an order for some apple butter?
    :P
    YES!!!
    scrills wrote: »
    YES!!!

I was just kidding. But you are so sweet! :happy2:
  • macluanmacluan Registered Users Posts: 326
    I've been making cultured cucumber pickles. I make a brine (salt and water), let it cool, add pickling cucumbers, dill, garlic, ginger, peppercorns, mustard seeds and a tea bag (this is for crispness; you could also add horseradish or grape leaves.) Put it all in a jar, put lid on jar and let sit on the counter 3-4 days until color of cucumbers change and then store in the fridge for up to eight months. Mine will never last that long because we all love them. I have also made green beans and cauliflower the same way. All delicious.
    Very interesting. I see all those granules for crispness. I like your method better.

I would LOVE to know how to make sweet/hot pickles
  • OBBOBB caliRegistered Users Posts: 4,174 Curl Neophyte
    i dont remember disliking any pickled veggie ive tried. i love them all esp the spicy ones. i can survive on rice and pickled veggies until i die
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Registered Users Posts: 5,844 Curl Neophyte
    I can try and get my grandmother's recipe for her hot pickles if you'd like. I've been making 24 hour pickles and they are yummy. Only last 2 weeks in the fridge though. We eat them way before the 2 weeks.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• Jess the MessJess the Mess Registered Users Posts: 5,844 Curl Neophyte
    I tried pickled green beans and they were too vinegary but nice and crisp and hot.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,170 Curl Virtuoso
    The only thing I pickle is beetroot, don't really like much else pickled but beetroot I love. Bit hit and miss with getting the balance of vinegar and sugar right though. I have some growing atm but only put it in a couple of weeks ago.
    I picked some grapefruit yesterday and am going to make marmalade tomorrow.
    I'd really like to get into learning how to preserve more, especially with the glut of things that I end up with in the veggie patch.
    3b in South Australia.
    Oh, and I'm jealous of your apples - I can't tell you how many tasteless apples I've had lately.
    3b in South Australia.
    Grapefruit marmalade. That sounds so interesting!
    Sadly it was a disaster - hasn't set at all. I just spent 15 mins looking up how to rescue it. Don't know if I can be bothered or if I should just bin it. Humph.
    3b in South Australia.
  • TRBLTRBL Registered Users Posts: 5,294 Curl Connoisseur
    Don't throw it out! make is a sauce/topping for cake or icecream or something :)
    When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy

"Dispute not with her: she is lunatic." -Richard III
  • macluanmacluan Registered Users Posts: 326
    This is the basics of the recipe that I use and you can use it for many veggies ~ cucumbers, green beans, cauliflower, etc. When I have horseradish or grape leaves I use them for crispness but when I don't I use a unbleached black tea bag or two per quart jar. I like to use fresh ginger too. There is no vinegar in this recipe so you won't get that vinegary flavor. It's super important to use the freshest crispest veggies you can find. I made a batch from "pickling" cucumbers that were a little too big and too long on the vine. They basically imploded so I've learned my lesson.

Lacto-Fermented "Kosher" Dill Pickles

I am looking for a cultured sweet sour type pickle but so far haven't found one that I love. Most cultured foods lean to sour.
    TRBL wrote: »
    Don't throw it out! make is a sauce/topping for cake or icecream or something :)

That's what my mum suggested too, but four jars is a bit much to get through that way, and grapefruit may be a bit of a weird flavour!
    I went and bought some pectin and re-boiled it, lost a jar by cooking it again and it's now cooling down. We'll see what happens.
    3b in South Australia.
    Yay, it set! Bit on the runny side but fine in the fridge.
    3b in South Australia.
    I just had some semi fresh dill pickles and they were really good! Hadn't had any in a long time.

Wait, did you say pickled apples?
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm more of a Freezer Girl. The only non-freezer preserving I do is fermented sauer kraut from cabbage. And I occasionally make refrigerator pickles. For apples, I prefer to just make compote and applesauce from them and freeze, rather than can or dehydrate them. If I had had a garden this year, I would have cooked and then frozen tomatoes for sauce. Green peppers freeze nicely just chopped and put in the freezer.
    I dehydrated half of my apples. Amazingly, they keep disappearing. So good

We also did pears and pineapples. The pineapples are so sweet!!!
    I canned my first item!!! It was so exciting the hear all the lids popped. So I know have sweet-hot carmelized onions waiting for their labels.

Caramel apple jam is next on the list. I think I will work on those Saturday

I also found a simple recipe for sweet hot pickles (which I LOVE!!!!!). The recipes uses pickles from the store, so that makes it super easy

http://www.mommyskitchen.net/2008/11/sweet-hot-pickles.html
    I'm toying with the idea of getting a canning kit, can't decide as I'm not sure I'll get that much use out of it and I haven't got that much room in the kitchen to be storing yet more pans and stuff. Just bought a herb dryer this week.

Caramel apple jam sound divine!
    3b in South Australia.
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Registered Users Posts: 15,490 Curl Neophyte
    scrills wrote: »
    I canned my first item!!! It was so exciting the hear all the lids popped. So I know have sweet-hot carmelized onions waiting for their labels.

Caramel apple jam is next on the list. I think I will work on those Saturday

I also found a simple recipe for sweet hot pickles (which I LOVE!!!!!). The recipes uses pickles from the store, so that makes it super easy

http://www.mommyskitchen.net/2008/11/sweet-hot-pickles.html

Yay!! My cousin (and neighbor) spent a weekend with my mom last summer learning to can. It was pretty cute. He then spent the next weekend teaching his wife and children how to can. It's been making a rather large come back, which is a good thing. It is handy. We can beans and tomatoes every year. Make freezer jam, and also freeze other items that will make meals easier.

I still need to get my 78 year old Aunt to show me my Mamaw's exact recipe for pickled (peanut) beans and corn (no vinegar, just the salt). One would think it would be simple, but I have never tasted any that come close to hers.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Registered Users Posts: 15,490 Curl Neophyte
    Now I'm sad. I miss going into the can house and getting things for my grandparents. Lol. It was always a little creepy in there, but full of good stuff. She kept the best pickled beans and corn hidden, for me, in a different spot though.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Starmie wrote: »
    I'm toying with the idea of getting a canning kit, can't decide as I'm not sure I'll get that much use out of it and I haven't got that much room in the kitchen to be storing yet more pans and stuff. Just bought a herb dryer this week.

Caramel apple jam sound divine!

I bought a kit. It wasn't really necessary. All you need is

- big pot
    - Tongs (to get the jars out of the big pot)
    - Jars

The kit had a little basket. The basket only fits 4 jars, so it's a little annoying.
    I saw a kit online, I'll have another look, see what it has. I discovered a brilliant cookery shop recently, I won't need much persuading to go back there and I can see what it costs to buy stuff separately. I remember looking at nice jars when I was there before, so I'm sure they'll have other canning stuff too.
    3b in South Australia.
    So o finally had some down time and i decided to spend it trying out apme of the ideas ive come across

Caramel apple jam is cooling
    Carrot cake perserves just came out the water bath
    Cinnamon apple fruit leather ia drying
    Tomatoes are in the dehydrator
    Sweet hot pickles have been started
    Candied jalapenos are in the fridge

Im going to try two more thing this weekend :
    Strawberry Margarita jam
    Coconut rum

Sent from my SPH-D710 using CurlTalk App
  • LayaliLayali Registered Users Posts: 561 Curl Connoisseur
    If you have a mandolin, you can use your dehydrator to make zucchini and sweet potato chips.

Ridiculously good and no oil needed.
    naturally 3b/3c

Explanation by the tongue makes most things clear, but love unexplained is clearer. ~ Rumi
    Wow, you've been very busy Scrills, I'm impressed. I do one thing at a time and it's enough!
    Had a bit of a look round the shops this yesterday, found a very similar kit to the one I saw online, but it was more expensive and had less jars with it and a basket as opposed to tongs. The pans on their own were exy so I think a kit would work out better.
    What to do, what to do' I wish I wasn't so indecisive, it's a wonder I ever do anything!
    3b in South Australia.
    the tongs work better than the basket, just an fyi. I started with the basket and switched to tongs

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file