Hair is changing?

sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
When I started CG, my hair was pretty high porosity and had damaged ends. Some of my ends are still damaged and high porosity from leftover color. I did the strand test and felt bumps all the way up my hair. Overall I concluded I was medium - high porosity. Now I do the strand test and my hair squeaks, and this is supposedly a characteristic of low porosity. So what the heck am I?? I never was able to use too much product, or it leaves my hair feeling really gunky and I can't stand it. Oils and butters seem to just sit on my hair and not do anything. My hair loves protein, and is retaining much more moisture now than it was before. However, at the end of the day it starts feeling pretty dry, especially at the ends. I don't seal my ends, so maybe I should start? Everybody says porosity is the thing to figure out. But my hair acts as high and low porosity, and I can't quite figure out what it is overall.
2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
:bunny:
NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
:thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    A good way to tell your porosity is by how long it takes your hair to dry. If it drys quickly (a few hours), it high porosity. If it takes a long time--naked hair air drying for 6+ hours, it's low porosity. In the middle, it's normal porosity.

If it starts out moisturized and feels dry by the end of the day, it's not low porosity. My hair usually gets better as the day goes on (as it absorbs products.)
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    Thank you so much for this explanation! Makes sense. Wearing naked hair tonight and it's 80% dry after 2 hrs. Yeah, definitely not low! I don't normally wear naked hair, so I got confused. It takes about 6 hrs to dry with product.
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    You can use curl towels or a 100% cotton tee to scrunch out some of the water to shorten dry time. I also diffuse for a few minutes. Otherwise, my hair would never dry in a timely fashion when there's any humidity in the air.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    If I scrunch too much water out my curls get frizzy and get pulled apart. I try to diffuse sometimes before work, but I'm usually short on time. Just wish I was blessed with hair that I would wake up, fluff and go. Darn it! I guess I need to start getting up early.
  • new2curl2013new2curl2013 Registered Users Posts: 18
    I totally know what you mean about wishing you had fluff and go hair! I am right there with you - both with that and still trying to figure out my hair qualities!

Sent from my SCH-I405U using CurlTalk App
    Hair type: still trying to figure that out
    Hair info (I think): coarse / medium-high porosity / medium density / long (past elbows but want to donate ASAP)

Still Trying to Decide What's Best for Me!
    Co-wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-In
    Styling: Garnier Pure & Clean gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file