CurlTalk

Confused about Hair Color and CG Method

SaMmIe10SaMmIe10 Posts: 243Registered Users
So I just started CG not long ago ... It is almost time for my hair to be colored again. I usually would just do it at home with L'Oreal or Revlon, whatever was on sale honestly lol

So how does this work with CG? Can I color with a regular box like I used to do even though it has obviously non-CG ingredients? If I do, do I need to shampoo with sulfates again to get stuff out or can I just go back to my regular CG routine?
Hair Type: Combo of 2A, 2B and 2C ... with a weird straight underlayer :dontknow:
Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity.

Currently using:
Low Poo: Yes To Cucumbers Color Protection Shampoo
Cowash: VO5 Moisture Milks
Styler: KCCC
Gel: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Gel, Tigi Bed Head Creative Genius gel

Started CG 9/10/13

Comments

• frizzygurlfrizzygurl Posts: 32Registered Users
    I color my grays 1x a month and after a day or 2 I CWC with joico clarifying shampoo and have never had any issues or color loss. Not CG but I can't do only co washing cause my head gets itchy
  • SaMmIe10SaMmIe10 Posts: 243Registered Users
    What does CWC stand for? I usually try to wait at least 24 hours before washing (at least pre-CG) ... Maybe a one-time clarifying shampoo wouldn't hurt.
    Hair Type: Combo of 2A, 2B and 2C ... with a weird straight underlayer :dontknow:
    Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Low Poo: Yes To Cucumbers Color Protection Shampoo
    Cowash: VO5 Moisture Milks
    Styler: KCCC
    Gel: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Gel, Tigi Bed Head Creative Genius gel

Started CG 9/10/13
  • frizzygurlfrizzygurl Posts: 32Registered Users
    CWC. I coat my hair with a thin conditioner like suave or vo5 rub massage scalp some with it. Then use a little of the joico shampoo. Makes it less harsh on my hair but still will remove any cones that are in my hair dye. I also wait 1-2 days after coloring before I do this. I haven't noticed any color loss
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    SaMmIe10 wrote: »
    So I just started CG not long ago ... It is almost time for my hair to be colored again. I usually would just do it at home with L'Oreal or Revlon, whatever was on sale honestly lol

So how does this work with CG? Can I color with a regular box like I used to do even though it has obviously non-CG ingredients? If I do, do I need to shampoo with sulfates again to get stuff out or can I just go back to my regular CG routine?

I switched to a box dye that contains no sulphate surfactants nor silicones in the two parts of the dye, only silicones in the conditioner which I don't use just use my own CG friendly product.

If you do use silicones you can clarify with a shampoo containing cocoamidopropyl betaine, sulphates are not the only option.

Do be sure to dye over the top of a coconut oiling, this can help reduce the damage. Also only dye the roots, 'refreshing' the lengths regularly is damaging.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect