Loving the CG method but...

PuertoricangirlPuertoricangirl Posts: 428Registered Users
Lately I have a little bit of an itchy scalp and dandruff! I co wash about once a week with tresseme naturals, deep condition sometimes, and use apple cider vinegar to remove buildup. Is there a way I can stay CG but stop or at least reduce the dandruff? Thank you so much in advance for your answers! I love my curls and the curly girl method!

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1379486683.189233.jpg I have 3b curls just in case you need to know 😊
3A/3B Fine/Medium curly, Low Porosity, Medium density, long length.

*Shampoo & Conditioner: Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and shine
*Leave-in: Kinky Curly Knot Today and GVP Condtioning Balm
*Cream Stylers: Shea Moisture Curl enhancing smoothie, Coconut and hibiscus styling milk
Gels: L.A Looks Sports Gel, and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
*Serum: Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper

:blob7:

Comments

• PuertoricangirlPuertoricangirl Posts: 428Registered Users
    Or a mix of 3a and 3b

*Cream Stylers: Shea Moisture Curl enhancing smoothie, Coconut and hibiscus styling milk

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    you should probably cowash at least twice a week, hair needs the moisture. also, the important thing about cowashing, any pooing, is massaging the scalp. that is a crucial part.
    if that doesn't help, maybe you need to switch products.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • fireflieslovefireflieslove Posts: 10Registered Users
    Tea tree oil helps so, so much. Mix it into your shampoo and make sure to massage your scalp.
  • poxyfairyplumepoxyfairyplume Posts: 85Registered Users
    It smells pretty bad, but if you can find some Neem oil, you can mix a little bit into your conditioner and it should help with it. It is great for many types of skin conditions and is also anti-bacterial. If you can get passed the smell, you'll be fine.
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    Dandruff doesn't care about curl pattern! ;)

Try Giovanni Don't Be Flaky. It's a sulfate/sulfonate-free low-poo and CG-friendly. I use it and it works.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • hambo02hambo02 Posts: 480Registered Users
    yep I love cg too but Im having huge scalp problems. I just make sure I wash with a low poo every other day
    Hmm ok thank you everyone acv rinses seem to help it temporarily...I think I will try the neem and/or tea tree oil. Acv stinks lol and my husband hates it but it really removes buildup and enhances shine! Oh and I posted a pic of my curls just in case you recommend products lol. Shampoo is a no no for me but so will try the oils 😊 thank you everyone! Oh and I do massage my scalp really well 😊 I will also try co washing twice a week to see if it helps. No sulfates for this girl 💕

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    What has your family doctor diagnosed? Please don't self treat a self diagnosis, you can easily worsen dermatological disorders. Once you have a diagnosis we can help you with a CG friendly solution.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You might find it helpful to try a brown sugar scrub. Just mix a tablespoon of brown sugar with your co-wash conditioner, and give yourself an extra good scalp massage. If the dandruff is flaking buildup from your scalp, that will break it up, and help you get rid of it.

For itchiness, I find that just moistening a fingertip with water and rubbing the area that itches usually helps. Dryness can cause itchiness, so moisture (water) can calm that type of pruritus. In healthcare, it's usually the first thing we try. (For skin, we'd usually apply lotion after that, to help keep the moisture in.) BTW, product buildup on your scalp could cause dryness.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    Shampoo is a no no for me but so will try the oils

No no in terms of your hair?

It doesn't make sense to ignore your scalp health for your hair "health." You need a healthy scalp in order to have hair that is "healthy." I put healthy in quotations because hair is dead, so "health" isn't really relevant, unlike your scalp. Be careful with your scalp, untreated SD can actually cause hair loss, for instance.

I agree with Firefox, it's always a good idea to visit your derm if you have flakiness or itchiness, which could have variable underlying causes.

If it's SD or dandruff there are shampoos that are both CG-friendly and have ingredients recommended by derms to combat SD/dandruff. The two that I know of are Jason dandruff and Giovanni. I've tried and like the latter; haven't tried the former. Depending on the severity of your case, you may not need to use these shampoos regularly. I have recurring but not constant SD and dandruff. Regularly I use low-poos, and then use the dandruff shampoo when I need to. If your problem is episodic then you can cowash in between episodes... or mix it up, cowash one day, then cleanse w/ a dandruff poo the next. Remember you can always coat your lengths in conditioner, then add the medicated poo only to your scalp. The conditioner on your lengths will protect your length from the poo.

Honey treatments have also been proven to treat and prevent SD, but before you go crazy with home-treatments it's always good to get a professional diagnosis. Good luck!
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    For me a pre-poo with coconut oil does wonders for dandruff. Since I've started doing that I have no flakes at all!
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
    Ok all this information was helpful I find that a lavender spray recipe from the CG book helps tremendously with itching! And I have much less dandruff 😊 I think the Shea moisture styling milk was causing it or at least making it worse. Should I still check with a doctor?

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ultimately that's up to you - if you feel there's been an improvement with the lavender spray then I'd say the itching was caused my product buildup or irritation from certain products, so you shouldn't need to see a doctor.

BUT it's your body and if you feel it's something to be concerned about, then it's always best to be safe than sorry!
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
    Ok thank you so much I really appreciate it!

• testimony777testimony777 Posts: 237Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You probably have all the information you need (or want) but I just wanted to add one thing. I found that tresseme naturals reeked havoc on my scalp. It was fine when I initially tried it but after a while it basically coated my scalp and I had build up. I have discovered that because I have oily skin, while some conditioners are better than others, putting conditioner on my scalp is a no no. Like you, I don't like sudsing shampoo. I have had great results with DevaCurl no poo. It gets my scalp clean but also doesn't strip my hair.

Another thing that has worked for me is alternating washing with a cleanser (no poo) and doing water washes. I wash twice a week. For one of those I use no poo for the other I massage my scalp vigorously (just as I do when I use a cleanser) but only water touches my scalp.
    Hair Stats (CG since 3/31/12)
    Type: 3c/b; Density: M; Texture: F-M; Porosity: L-N

Products
    Cleanser: DevaCurl Decadence No Poo
    Conditioner: DevaCurl Original One Condition
    Leave-in: DevaCurl B'Leave-in
    Stylers: DevaCurl Volumizing Frizz Free Foam, DevaCurl Beautiful Mess, DevaCurl Flexible Hold Hairspray
    Refresher: DevaCurl No Comb Detangling Spray
    Finisher: DevaCurl Shine Spray
  • naturallyjaznaturallyjaz Posts: 63Registered Users
    I want to try just co-washing my hair for a month, and see what happens. I think shampoo dries out my hair.
    Last relaxer: May or June 2007
    BC: May 10, 2013
    Type: 3b/3c
    Hair properties: curly, wavy & fine texture; medium thick to thick density; normal porosity; normal elasticity

Current Loves:
    Shampoo: Shea Moisture Black African Soap Deep Cleansing, Shea Moisture Moisture Retention, Carol's Daughter Rosemary Mint Clarifying, Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Leave-In: Design Essentials HCO Leave-In Conditioner and Blow Drying Lotion
  • blubutterfly04blubutterfly04 Posts: 104Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I experienced itchy, flaky scalp when i started CG as well. I find that masaging coconut oil on my scalp and leaving it overnight really helps. I do it from time to time to keep my scalp healthy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CG since 9-1-09, Modified CG 1/10.3a/3b mix
    Low Porosity
    No Co-Washing, Using Mild Shampoos, Lo-poos: Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Moisture Shampoo, Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner
    Low-poo/Clarifiers: ACV rinses
    Leave in's: Giovanni Direct Leave-in, Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner
    DT's: Coconut Oil, Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque,
    Stylers: AG:recoil, LA Looks Mega Hold Gel,
    ** Air dry ONLY, I love plopping!**
  • Lady_CreoleLady_Creole Posts: 400Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi...since dandruff usually comes from a dry scalp and co-washing is for moisturizing maybe it is the "way" you are co-washing which is causing build-up on your scalp.

When I co-wash, I saturate my hair with Treseme' Naturals Conditioner and let it sit for a while, [at least 10 minutes]. Then I get in the shower and squeeze out each sections, [I like to see the removal of product]. Then I add water and "lather" my hair with the conditioner as I would a shampoo. I also massage and "scrub" my scalp while lathering the conditioner. Afterwards, my hair "feels" so clean and soft.

I have added a product to this regiment...once a month I use "Shea Moisture Purification Masque", [which is made for dry, itchy scalp]. I put this on my scalp for about 20 minutes, then I squeeze it out, and scrub my scalp, lathering it out. I still co-wash with my Tresemme' afterwards.

Maybe this will help...blessings!
    My hair is "exotic, beautiful and free",,,yeah, that be ME!!!
    3B/C - Easy to straighten, [no heat ever/no protect. styling].

Low Porosity/Medium Density
    Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

I am a "Co-Wash/Finger Comb Lady!
    Scalp Cleanser - SM ABS Purification Hair Masque
    Co-wash - Tresemme Naturals
    Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk
    LOC - Organic Coconut Oil
    Styler - SM CH Curl Smoothie
    Deep Cond. - SM Yucca & Plantain Masque
    Thank you I will try it 😊 my lavender spray helps a lot when sprayed also

• MarixpressMarixpress Posts: 91Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I am dying today from itchy scalp. It's my 4th day. I'm thinking 3 day hair is my limit.
    Day 1 of Curly Girl method: 10/5/13
    3b Mostly Normal Porosity. Medium Density, Fine to Medium Width, Medium Texture.
    SM Y&B TS and Condish. Ecostyler with Argan oil gel.
    Daughter: Long frizzy Swavy 2a turned Wavy Curvy 2B - thanks to Devachan, Low Porosity, Medium Texture, High Density
  • 09robiha09robiha Posts: 683Registered Users
    Marixpress wrote: »
    I am dying today from itchy scalp. It's my 4th day. I'm thinking 3 day hair is my limit.

After 3 days I am in the shower, and scrubbing that scalp, that's for sure! 4 days is my limit too, I wish I could just wash once a week, but I think I would go insane from the itches!
    Mixture of 2c/3a curls, fine to med texture

:love5: PROTEIN LOVER!!! :love5:

Wishing my hair would be more like this
    > :angel13:
    and less like this
    > :evil5:
  • JLeighsJLeighs Posts: 904Registered Users Curl Novice
    I've had scalp issues for years. In the winter I am utterly miserable because it's 10X worse. It never mattered whether I cowashed or not. The only time I get any relief is for 2 weeks after I henna. The other day, in desperation, I went on the hunt for a new shampoo because I am dealing with a particularly bad flareup. I picked up Alaffia Neem & Shea Butter Scalp Recovery shampoo and conditioner. The shampoo is an African Black soap base. After two uses, my scalp feels better than it has in a long, long time. It's too soon to tell what the long-term effects will be, but it gave me almost instant relief. The shampoo isn't drying on me, but the conditioner isn't very moisturizing. However, I'm one who doesn't need much moisture so I'm fine with that. It gave me tremendous bounce, body, and shine. So it's a bonus that my hair likes it. Truthfully, even if my hair didn't like it I'd still use it. My scalp hasn't felt this good in a loooong time. :thumbright:
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have the same thing. I never get dandruff and whenever I plunge into the cowash world again it happens. I know I do it properly and I have tried various methods. It also causes me to shed a lot more too. I think I'll just lowpoo more often.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If low-pooing works for you, there's no reason why you shouldn't use it. It's still CG.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • AnsleyBirch13AnsleyBirch13 Posts: 180Registered Users
    You most likely have dry scalp, not dandruff. Here's how you tell the difference! http://m.voices.yahoo.com/dandruff-vs-dry-scalp-recognize-heal-both-1778597.html
    Yea the dandruff or dry scalp is pretty much gone :) but thank you so much for the article is was very helpful! I am reading it and will bookmark it for future reference :D

What exactly did you do? I've been having the same problem and I'm not really sure what to do
    I just used product less often and now that I used an acv rinse it is much much better! I think it was the hard water in my apartment 😒 it also made my curls stringy, limp, thinner looking, dry, and frizzy! I'm wondering if hard water can give the it itchies too

• ashkins09ashkins09 Posts: 75Registered Users
    I used to have hard water. I never used ACV rinse until the new place which is soft water. I see a big difference in my scalp. I thought I had dandruff for years but nope. I don't produce enough sebum :(. I cowash 2-3x a week. I tried Giovanni ttt, head and shoulders, selsum blue etc and nothing worked. I use ACV twice a week on my scalp and leave it in for a while before washing. I have a clear scalp for over a month now. I'm also sensitive to certain ingredients which doesn't help either. From harsh to even the good ones.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using CurlTalk App
    3B fine & medium, medium density,low/medium porosity, semi protein sensitive
    NP: ACV
    COWASH: Suave Naturals green apple and coconut
    RO/LI: Tresseme Naturals, Oyin hair dew
    PT/DT: Ion repair solutions, my own concoction
    OIL: Coconut, grapeseed & jojoba
    STYLER: LA Looks nutra curl & AVJ spritz

My disabilities don't change who I am.
    What exactly is an AVC, and where can I get it?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file