All natural product for hold?

Wavygirl1Wavygirl1 Registered Users Posts: 165
What all natural product do you like for hold? Ideally I would like something with an EWG rating of 3 or less & not tested on animals. Thanks!
2a/b, med/high porosity, high density, fine texture

Comments

• russianprncssrussianprncss Registered Users Posts: 450 Curl Neophyte
    I've heard Max Green Alchemy products are pretty good. They have a sculpting gel I want to try that's supposed to be hard hold for winter.
    2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
    Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
    Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
    Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Registered Users Posts: 2,075 Curl Neophyte
    I think Shea Moisture have a good range!
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • mustangbunnymustangbunny Registered Users Posts: 1,033
    The Body Shop's products are cruelty free, as are Kinky Curly's, I believe. PETA has a list of cruelty free brands on their site.

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
    Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
    Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
    :hockey:

• naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    I use homemade gelatin hair gel. Also I ordered the Max Green Alchemy sculpting gel and it just arrived today. Very excited to try it, and will post how it works.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • pinkwolfpinkwolf Registered Users Posts: 430 Curl Novice
    i either use KCCC or my homemade flaxseed gel.

Sent from my N861 using CurlTalk App
    *Natural 3C/TWA* :toothy7:
    Wash: BS/ACV, ABS, KC Come Clean
    Conditioner: Garnier WB Honey Treasures
    , Garnier WB Apple & Green Tea
    Pre-Poo: Oils & Honey Mix
    DC: Garnier WB Honey Treasures Mask, SM 10-N-1

PT: Super Mayo Deep Conditioning Treatment
    Styler:
    KCCC
    Leave-In: KCKT
    Moisturizer:
    Whipped Shea Butter
    Oil/Sealant:
    EVCO, Jojoba
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Registered Users Posts: 1,632 Curl Neophyte
    Shae moisture products can dry out your hair. I've heard good things about as I am twist and lock gel and my stylist uses the Deva curl gel too with success.
    K, so tested the max green alchemy sculpting gel. I like it. I found out today (the hard way, when I squirted too much from the tube) that applying too much does crush my curl a bit and give a wet look to my hair (I layered it on top of two other products so for me, that was quite a bit of stuff to put on). In moderation, however, it does help sculpt the hair, and for me it adds definition. I want to experiment using it for the 2nd product application using SMasters method.

3A/f/i
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • russianprncssrussianprncss Registered Users Posts: 450 Curl Neophyte
    Good to know! I'm definitely going to try that sometime!
    2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
    Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
    Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
    Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
  • SpiralliSpiralli Registered Users Posts: 3,684 Curl Connoisseur
    I love Max Green Alchemy Sculpting Gel. It's my fave out of the 3 gels that I currently use (LALSG, BRHG and MGASG). Yes, it's expensive but I get consistently good hair days with it that last all day. I think I'm on my 5th or 6th tube since I started using it.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • anonymous_150263anonymous_150263 Registered Users Posts: 773
    Where do you buy the max green products? They look interesting.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    I ordered mine online. If you google it you should arrive at the website.

3A/f/i
    I like it when i can buy a new product in the store because then if I don't like it I can return it without having to ship it back. Lol.

Im so afraid because so many products flake on me. And like Sallys will let you return anything..
    Same for me. I've ordered mine online for years. MGA website has % off codes occasionally. I've gotten it from websites Pharmaca, Amazon, and MGA (preferred) website in the past.
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    Got it on amazon
    Well it smells terrible and also flakes horribly.
    What, the MGA SG? Must be a YMMV thing because I think it smells light herbal (I love the smell!) and I have never had it flake on me. Maybe you got a bad tube and can get refund from seller.
    Even kinky curly curling custard flakes on my hair. And it smells terrible like citronella. Like that organic insect repellant you can buy. I am returning it but I have to print a shipping label and get a box and take it to ups. A huge PITA. I got the regular gel and the sculpting one and tested on sections of hair. When it dried and i "scrunched" out the crunch I got white flakes like dandruff.
    I decided to try the mga gel again a few times before sending it back but only sparingly and only on the ends and it didn't flake but it didn't hold all day either. My hair literally soaks in product throughout the day. Its hard to find a natural product that holds well all day. That's why I usually have to use so much product to get good hold and thats probably why I get so much flaking with so many products.
    Ok well I returns the mga gell and am revisiting the garnier pure clean gel. I didn't like it a few years ago when I tried it but the last two days I have had good results with only using it on the ends with a drop of oil mixed in. I even used it on my sons hair and no flaking whatsoever. I remember it never flakes in the past but was difficult to scrunch out so I just made sure I used a lot of other conditoner and styler underneath and it seems to be working well. I've got a long day ahead so I will update on how well it holds up.
    I think I like the garneir pure clean gel. Here I am 6 hours in to my dayuploadfromtaptalk1427648565967.jpg
    10 hours with absolutely no touching up!
    Interesting about the MGA. I do use it sparingly, on the ends, with SMasters technique. Hasn't flaked on me before. I was considering using more of MGA because the Andalou Naturals gel is starting to flake on me if I use too much. But wasn't sure if MGA would separate my clumps if I apply it too early on after washing. Thanks for the heads up about the MGA flaking if using too much, as that's something I'll watch for. Your hair looks awesome btw!

3A/f/i
    Yes definitely I've noticed for one I have dark hair and second, i use a lot of product so I get flaking where others may not. I thought more natural products wouldn't have that as much as the ones loaded with plastic. I noticed a lot of people like the bioterra gel but it was a nightmare for me even with small amounts.
    I tried more of the MGA today and it was fine. Also so was the andalou! The one thing I did differently was clarify my hair. So it could be that those two products don't play well with other things I'd put on my hair, or that they don't do well if the hair is coated. I have dark hair, too, but being very fine haired I can't use too much product. Currently I divide my hair in two after showering, and apply a cocktail of 4 products, a dime sized of each of the 4 (incl the andalou and MGA) as my base coat. I know some people use handfuls so I may not be using enough to encounter that problem.

3A/f/i
    Wanted to add, tried Aubrey B5 design gel today. I used wayyyy too much so my hair is greasy looking, but it does have good hold… no doubt from the acacia gum. When I figure out how to use it I think this will be a good product for me.

3A/f/i
  • sunshine1319sunshine1319 Registered Users Posts: 62
    hey i just started the cg method so im pretty new to it and so im not sure if this product is cg approved or not its the organix wweightless hydration cocnut water condictioner
    ingredients:WATER (AQUA), Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, PPG-2 Hydroxyethyl Coco, Isostearamide, Cocos Nucifera Oil (Coconut), Hydrolyzed Milk Protein, Albumen, Panthenol, Dimethicone, Amodimethicone, Glycol Stearate, PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Polyquaternium-6, Polyquaternium-10, Laureth-4, Laureth-23, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Cetrimonium Chloride, Trideceth-12, Tetrasodium Edta, Sodium Chloride, Fragrance, Citric Acid, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate.
    hey i just started the cg method so im pretty new to it and so im not sure if this product is cg approved or not its the organix wweightless hydration cocnut water condictioner
    ingredients:WATER (AQUA), Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, PPG-2 Hydroxyethyl Coco, Isostearamide, Cocos Nucifera Oil (Coconut), Hydrolyzed Milk Protein, Albumen, Panthenol, Dimethicone, Amodimethicone, Glycol Stearate, PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Polyquaternium-6, Polyquaternium-10, Laureth-4, Laureth-23, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Cetrimonium Chloride, Trideceth-12, Tetrasodium Edta, Sodium Chloride, Fragrance, Citric Acid, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate.

Nope. That is definitely not natural and not CG friendly. It has a couple silocones in it, dimethicone and amodimethicone. That organix line makes me so angry because there is nothing organic about any of their products.
    so does that mean there curl cream and surf paste isnt cg approved either??
    so does that mean there curl cream and surf paste isnt cg approved either??

I used to use some of their products and when I switched to CG I couldn't find any of their products to be CG friendly. There's a whole list of ingredients somewhere on the site that gives you an idea of what to look for.
    dang it so what are your favorite cg products from the drugstore

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file