CurlTalk

Curls Becoming Common?

LesMizLesMiz Posts: 14Registered Users
So lately while walking around my school, I've started to notice girls wearing their hair down with curls. Now, granted, most of them are ether wand or crimped or whatever curls, but still. I've also been getting a lot more attention because I'm one of about five girls in my grade that has naturally curly hair. Not to mention, like one of three that wears it curly, and the only one that hasn't brushed it out.
Anyways, has anyone had anything like this at their schools or work or whatever? Im kind of happy it's becoming more acceptable.
My hair crushed my dreams,
Everything I wanted to be,
My curly hair was the death of me
:afro:
Hair type: Mixture of 3a and 2b

Comments

• bobbybobby Posts: 669Registered Users
    LesMiz wrote: »
    So lately while walking around my school, I've started to notice girls wearing their hair down with curls. Now, granted, most of them are ether wand or crimped or whatever curls, but still. I've also been getting a lot more attention because I'm one of about five girls in my grade that has naturally curly hair. Not to mention, like one of three that wears it curly, and the only one that hasn't brushed it out.
    Anyways, has anyone had anything like this at their schools or work or whatever? Im kind of happy it's becoming more acceptable.

I could go either way with that. I see people in both circles where it leads to me to believe either one could be equally true. What cracks me up though is that it actually takes longer to straighten your hair than it does to just let the curls do their thing. When I first started wearing mine longer, I would blow dry and style it with a round brush. Sometimes I curled it with a curling iron. However that took too long. Now I just let the curls do their thing.
    2B always with potential of white man's fro

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

"Curls aren't just for girls"
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,156Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I see a lot of the younger people these days curling their hair. What makes me laugh is the people that already have pretty wavy hair, and they are curling it with a curling iron! I don't understand. I think naturally wavy hair is so pretty! My nieces in particular do this. I just want to rip it out of their hands and tell them what's on their head! :laughing6:
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • PyjamaLlamaPyjamaLlama Posts: 72Registered Users
    Not really at my school...everyone straightens their hair basically :S
    sixelamy wrote: »
    I see a lot of the younger people these days curling their hair. What makes me laugh is the people that already have pretty wavy hair, and they are curling it with a curling iron! I don't understand. I think naturally wavy hair is so pretty! My nieces in particular do this. I just want to rip it out of their hands and tell them what's on their head! :laughing6:

Although curling irons could also be a different form of straightening. I actually did that a few times but found it took way too long. I'm pretty much wash and go now. Tastes less time and looks much better.

• Always@nightAlways@night Posts: 566Registered Users

I've notice the same thing especially with teens and young adults. A lot of my friends are big chopping and wearing their hair curly, I get asked by customers daily how I "rod" my hair to get it to "curl like that", and then I explain to them that it does it on it's own and that I don't use rods. I'm also glad it's becoming more acceptable.
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,156Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Although curling irons could also be a different form of straightening. I actually did that a few times but found it took way too long. I'm pretty much wash and go now. Tastes less time and looks much better.

I did that before I realized that flat irons exist. In high school I straightened with a curling iron alllll the time! I really wish I had known what I had under there.
    I've notice the same thing especially with teens and young adults. A lot of my friends are big chopping and wearing their hair curly, I get asked by customers daily how I "rod" my hair to get it to "curl like that", and then I explain to them that it does it on it's own and that I don't use rods. I'm also glad it's becoming more acceptable.

When I started wearing my hair curly, I kept getting asked if I got a perm or if it was natural. I took those questions as a compliment :)
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens

As a guy, I even get that question every now and then even though guys getting perms is so 1983. At first it bothered me but now I'm like "well, I guess I have have others would pay to get." I'm glad I have embraced being a curly after resisting for so many years.

• pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Posts: 1,665Registered Users
    I've been asked a lot more how to get my hair the way it is and like someone previously stated, I just tell them I wash it and it's the way it is naturally. It does seem that more and more people want to do the natural/curly thing. I don't know . . . it's like more of a trend officially now for a lot of people.
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Fpapiermachecurls" class="Popup

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • Lady_CreoleLady_Creole Posts: 400Registered Users
    It is said that 65% of the African American women America have gone "natural"...YES!!!:thumright:
    My hair is "exotic, beautiful and free",,,yeah, that be ME!!!
    3B/C - Easy to straighten, [no heat ever/no protect. styling].

Low Porosity/Medium Density
    Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

I am a "Co-Wash/Finger Comb Lady!
    Scalp Cleanser - SM ABS Purification Hair Masque
    Co-wash - Tresemme Naturals
    Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk
    LOC - Organic Coconut Oil
    Styler - SM CH Curl Smoothie
    Deep Cond. - SM Yucca & Plantain Masque
  • PuertoricangirlPuertoricangirl Posts: 428Registered Users
    Nope not here. I'm shocked when I see naturally curly people where I live! Most women straighten and/or highlight the crap out of their hair and me and my curls stick out like a sore thumb. Lol but I love it!
    3A/3B Fine/Medium curly, Low Porosity, Medium density, long length.

*Shampoo & Conditioner: Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and shine
    *Leave-in: Kinky Curly Knot Today and GVP Condtioning Balm
    *Cream Stylers: Shea Moisture Curl enhancing smoothie, Coconut and hibiscus styling milk
    Gels: L.A Looks Sports Gel, and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    *Serum: Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper

:blob7:
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,061Registered Users
    I feel like I saw a lot more over the summer in the pac-northwest area... but I don't know if that's just me paying special attention to curlies now.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • PuertoricangirlPuertoricangirl Posts: 428Registered Users
    Wavydaze I pay a lot if attention to curlies too haha. An hour away from where I love there are more curlies and I love seeing them! 😊
    3A/3B Fine/Medium curly, Low Porosity, Medium density, long length.

*Shampoo & Conditioner: Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and shine
    *Leave-in: Kinky Curly Knot Today and GVP Condtioning Balm
    *Cream Stylers: Shea Moisture Curl enhancing smoothie, Coconut and hibiscus styling milk
    Gels: L.A Looks Sports Gel, and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    *Serum: Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper

:blob7:
  • CurlieCooCurlieCoo Posts: 38Registered Users
    sixelamy wrote: »

I'm seeing lots of people with beautiful beachy wavy curls. When I ask them how they style it, the majority of replies is that they straighten their hair first with a blow dryer, flat iron out some of the frizz, and then use a curling wand to curl their hair away from their face.

And I thought doing the naturally curly routine (waiting forever for my hair to dry) took a long time!
    #1 Recommendation: "Search NaturallyCurly" search function for great info:smilebox:
    ~2C/3A~ Density-High Porosity-High Texture-Medium Climate-HIGH humidity Water-Hard well
    Low-poo: Nature's Gate Tea-Tree Cond: Suave Naturals, Organic Coconut Oil Leave-in: KCKT Styling: KCSS, KCCC, Dr. Bronner's Organic Hair Creme
  • MidwesterncurlMidwesterncurl Posts: 133Registered Users
    It depends on what group you're talking about, and even the kind of curls. I think it's great black women are going natural, as I don't think any ethnicity should have people change their physical appearance to be more "insert other group here."

However with curls in general, I think the messy beachy waves look is more popular compared to real curls. A lot of women with naturally curly hair aren't given the same accolades as women who style their straighter hair to look a certain way because it's the look that's more popular. It also depends on the age. Younger women are going to straighten their hair more whereas older women are more appreciative, IME. I know a woman who is almost 40 with gorgeous long brown hair that's healthy and she gets tons of attention. Younger women with that kind of hair eventually cut it to have more fashionable and chic hairstyles like bobs and pixie cuts. I still haven't been entirely convinced that long hair, curly hair, or long curly hair are making a comeback. At least, not naturally textured hair.
  • NeirelleNeirelle Posts: 126Registered Users
    I think the messy beach waves are more popular is because straight hair people can never make their hair look like ours...like they would try to braid their hair and instead it just looks wavy
  • Ms.CabernetMs.Cabernet Posts: 137Registered Users
    "I still haven't been entirely convinced that long hair, curly hair, or long curly hair are making a comeback".

Agree. Long wavy hair is what' "in" right now. Before that it was stick straight hair styled with flat iron.
  • ashkins09ashkins09 Posts: 75Registered Users
    My teenage sister has ruined her curls from heat damage. I tell her to use heat protector etc and just doesn't listen at all..sigh. When I was in high school not many had curly hair. I always rocked mine. I've seen females my age rock the natural curls but only a few I've seen. I can tell if someone has used a wand or curling rod. If only every curly person rocked what they were born with.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using CurlTalk App
    3B fine & medium, medium density,low/medium porosity, semi protein sensitive
    NP: ACV
    COWASH: Suave Naturals green apple and coconut
    RO/LI: Tresseme Naturals, Oyin hair dew
    PT/DT: Ion repair solutions, my own concoction
    OIL: Coconut, grapeseed & jojoba
    STYLER: LA Looks nutra curl & AVJ spritz

My disabilities don't change who I am.
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users
    Follow the money. There are a lot of new heat styling products which have been released recently to make curls.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • KrullenbolKrullenbol Posts: 114Registered Users
    I live in the Netherlands and there are so many nationalities here and a huge amount of curly haired girls. Sure, there are a lot of girls who straighten their hair but they are mostly teenagers
  • yakottayakotta Posts: 40Registered Users
    wavydaze wrote: »
    I feel like I saw a lot more over the summer in the pac-northwest area... but I don't know if that's just me paying special attention to curlies now.

I have been amazed by how many curlies I notice now that I look for them! I'm always thinking about how they do their hair.

I do see what people are talking about with non-natural curls. I think part of the problem is that, if you have curly hair you have to go out of your way to find resources like nc.com that tell you how to take are of it and style it. I remember thumbing through a magazine and looking at the curly styles and all of them started by instructing the reader to take a flat iron to their hair. Sigh.
  • mustangbunnymustangbunny Posts: 1,033Registered Users
    I've been seeing a lot more but they're all adult women, usually. Not that many teenagers. My experience was when I was younger I was willing to spend that kind of time on my hair and now I just want to accept my hair the way it is and not have to fuss with it all the time. I get so happy seeing teenagers and young girls on this site accepting their hair and loving it the way it is. I wish I'd had that foresight.

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
    Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
    Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
    :hockey:

• RumwolfRumwolf Posts: 66Registered Users
    I wouldn't say going natural is a "trend", that is the natural texture of many girls who for sinking were damaging it to look a certain way to be accepted.

I'm glad that going natural is reaching out to the curly girls everywhere and saving them from so much damage.
    3b hair
    current products used:
    As I am Coconut CoWash
    Shea Moisture Styling Milk
    Carol's Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey
  • RumwolfRumwolf Posts: 66Registered Users
    So long* not sinking. Sorry.
    3b hair
    current products used:
    As I am Coconut CoWash
    Shea Moisture Styling Milk
    Carol's Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey
    Rumwolf wrote: »
    I wouldn't say going natural is a "trend", that is the natural texture of many girls who for sinking were damaging it to look a certain way to be accepted.

I'm glad that going natural is reaching out to the curly girls everywhere and saving them from so much damage.

Whether or not it's a movement or a trend is mostly in the eye of the beholder. If for instance you cross paths with say every 8 of 10 people with straight hair (whether it's naturally that way or them choosing to flatiron) you might think you are going against the grain by being natural. However, when I am in this forum I might be inclined to think so because we are exchanging posts with fellow cur lies.

• DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users
    I've noticed this more around here. But I've also noticed a lot of my FB friends posting up their natural hair journeys, so it could be that I'm just getting more exposure to it. My younger sister (high school) keeps me informed with her hair journey and says that it is common now for people to wear their curls instead of straightening. I'm really excited for all of the curlies embracing their hair.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!