Fall/Winter styling tips

pinkmouse09pinkmouse09 Posts: 107Registered Users
Hi! Now that it's September, the cooler weather may be starting very randomly in the coming weeks. This will be my first fall with my natural curls!! I usually like to let my hair air dry throughout the morning, but I don't want to become an icicle.. this actually happened to me once. :lol:

Do you just diffuse daily? I usually need to dampen my hair each morning for ease of styling..

ALSO I just got some coconut oil!! :iconbiggrin: How can I incorporate this as part of my daily process?

Tips will be much appreciated!

APL (when stretched) goal is HL, 3b, medium thickness, medium porosity

CG since March 2013
Conditoner: V05 Moisture Milk (Passion Fruit Smoothie), Aussie Moist, Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition, Wen Sweet Almond Oil Cleansing Conditioner
Clarify: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Shampoo, Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Shampoo
Styling: Beautiful Textures Moisture Butter
Sealant: Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
Vitamins: One Daily and Hairfinity
Just at BSL (when stretched) goal is HL, 3a/b, medium thickness, medium porosity
CG since March 2013
Conditoner/Detangle: V05 Moisture Milk (Passion Fruit Smoothie), Aussie Moist
Clarify: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Shampoo
Styling: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and Curl Milk, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
Vitamins: One Daily and GNC Ultra NourishHair

Comments

• poxyfairyplumepoxyfairyplume Posts: 85Registered Users
    Hi! Now that it's September, the cooler weather may be starting very randomly in the coming weeks. This will be my first fall with my natural curls!! I usually like to let my hair air dry throughout the morning, but I don't want to become an icicle.. this actually happened to me once. :lol:

This made me laugh! This happened to me when I had a perm way back in the day.

This is a good question, I was actually wondering the same. I'll be curious to see recommendations. I hate having to wet my hair in the morning and let it dry, it takes forever.
  • SmilingElephantSmilingElephant Posts: 666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I plan on (if im waistlength by the time it actually gets cooler here in Florida:)) straightening every month or two, or wearing two strand twists or top knot bun styles.

More buttery products and curl creams will be used. Not as many wash n go's...cold weather and wet hair equals body pain for me :( if i do i'll HAVE to diffuse.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using CurlTalk App
    2yrs 7 months post relaxer/2 years and 11 months natural

Cleanse: SM Moisture Retention or Suave Naturals shampoos
    Co-Wash: Suave Naturals, L'Oreal EverCreme or EverCurl
    RO/Detangler: Tresseme Naturals:nemo:, GVPCB
    Leave-In: SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie, TN, GVPCB
    Styler: EcoStyler, GF Pure Clean gel, KCCC

Just discovering my hair likes protein! :dontknow:

:wav:
    Question: do you think its a good idea to try using cones in the colder months? I remember last fall/winter i wasn't and my hair was always so dry!

My logic behind it is that the silicone would serve as a protective barrier...and I'd shampoo when i notice build up.

Idk...im thinking about trying it.

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Question: do you think its a good idea to try using cones in the colder months? I remember last fall/winter i wasn't and my hair was always so dry!

My logic behind it is that the silicone would serve as a protective barrier...and I'd shampoo when i notice build up.

Idk...im thinking about trying it.

if you use cones then you have to use a sulfate shampoo, which is very drying.
    instead, try sealing your hair. i always do. some people (seems like high porosity) use oils, my hair does not like oils. i use butters -- jane carter nourish & shine or spiral solutions emollience butter. they work perfectly, sealing in moisture, no matter how low the dew points get.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    I know...but...i need something cost effective. I have very thick waist length hair. I run out of conditioner within a week and a half from a 16 oz bottle. So i need a big huge bottle that doesn't cost so much.

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    if you seal your hair, then you can make do with less leave in, as it is keeping the moisture locked in. before i sealed consistently in low dews, i'd be adding conditioner or product to my hair all day long. :-( now, it just takes whatever i apply in morning and stays looking moisturized. i think it's worth a try.

also, don't know which products you've tried, but i found early on that for my hair i needed to use a very large amount of product so in the end the higher end products became more cost effective as i only use a fraction of the amount of product. you do have very long hair, but the same idea would still apply, just in larger amounts due to the quantity of hair you have.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    As rbb inferred, there's a big difference between most mass produced products and most of the online, boutique type products. With the boutique products, you use a lot less product.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Okay....i see what you are saying.

But i can't afford boutique products right now. Spending $20 a week on a bottle of conditioner must be nice....but i gotta put food in my fridge.

Ijs. Im trying to find something under $10-$15....for a liter.

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    What we're trying to get across is that the $20 of conditioner just might last a month instead of the $20 liter that lasts a week. Some of the time, you do get what you pay for in quality. Can't say it about most "salon" products.They are mass produced and don't use the same ingredients that some of the "boutique" type companies do Doesn't happen all of the time, but it seems to a lot with higher quality products.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I get it kathy...its just that....if i get a $20 container of a product...whether boutique or not...at this moment right now...even if it lasts more than a week...i will be...broke...idk my mind says...i should find a huge bottle of something decent under $10-$15...bc out if that $20...i can also get food or something else important with the remaining $10-$5

When it comes to conditioner....I've never known a bottle that lasted more than 2 weeks unless i purposely put off using it. Whether its boutique or a cheapie.

Lol idk...im known for making dollars stretch. My friends even request me to shop with them bc they save money and they leave the mall feeling less "splurge guilt"

Im a cheapskate :D lol

I am kinda tempted to buy something boutique...but i hate being broke lol

• pinkmouse09pinkmouse09 Posts: 107Registered Users
    I get it kathy...its just that....if i get a $20 container of a product...whether boutique or not...at this moment right now...even if it lasts more than a week...i will be...broke...idk my mind says...i should find a huge bottle of something decent under $10-$15...bc out if that $20...i can also get food or something else important with the remaining $10-$5

When it comes to conditioner....I've never known a bottle that lasted more than 2 weeks unless i purposely put off using it. Whether its boutique or a cheapie.

Lol idk...im known for making dollars stretch. My friends even request me to shop with them bc they save money and they leave the mall feeling less "splurge guilt"

Im a cheapskate :D lol

I am kinda tempted to buy something boutique...but i hate being broke lol

Go to Target! They have big ole bottles of Aussie Moist ($5) and Herbal Essences Hello Hydration for ($8ish).
    V05 is a good cheapie too :)
    Just at BSL (when stretched) goal is HL, 3a/b, medium thickness, medium porosity
    CG since March 2013
    Conditoner/Detangle: V05 Moisture Milk (Passion Fruit Smoothie), Aussie Moist
    Clarify: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Shampoo
    Styling: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and Curl Milk, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
    Vitamins: One Daily and GNC Ultra NourishHair
    I actually did go to Target and i bought a HUGE bottle of GFTN. I just used it tonite and my hair LOVES it and it smells like kool aid lol!

• curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That sounds cool to have kool aid hair. Lol I hadn't found that one that was silicone free.
    That sounds cool to have kool aid hair. Lol I hadn't found that one that was silicone free.

Lol...yeah...it smells so fruity! It has ammodimethicone. It used to not have cones at all...and smelled like apples. But im not too worried about the A-cone. Its the one that doesn't really build up like the other cones.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji