Help! Big 3a curls dry to droopy spirals

morninglorrimorninglorri Posts: 2Registered Users
I don't know what I'm doing wrong. When I get done with my routine, my hair looks great! 3a, just like the picture, with big, bouncy, curls. Within an hour, it's drooped to loose, limp, spirals that are about a pencil width in circumference.

I'm a newbie and I've been reading like crazy but I haven't really figured out what products to use yet so I've just been using what I have on hand at home. Here's what I'm using:

J Bev Hills Clarifying Shampoo
Pantene Smoothing Conditioner smooshed in and RO

Then to soaking wet hair I smoosh in:
Ouidad Moisture Lock L/I
LALSG

Scrunch with t-shirt until not dripping wet, plop for 15 minutes, pixie diffuse until 50% dry.

I *think* I have low porosity hair because it takes HOURS to air dry, like 4-5 hours every time and my hair floated and never sunk in the water test. Definitely high density and fine-medium texture.

Any suggestions?!?! Thanks!! :tongue8:

Comments

• TrickTrick Posts: 140Registered Users
    If I only diffuse part way my hair definitely droops more than when I dry it thoroughly (when I have the time I even leave it dried but crunchy for awhile to make EXTRA sure that all the hair is really dry), so you may have to go on and finish drying it all the way if you like that look.

2c/3a, fine, low porosity.

Poo: Garnier Fructis Pure Clean (yes, it has A Sulfate!!, but I have Teflon hair)
    Co-wash (when I feel so inclined, which isn't often!): VO5 Kiwi Lime Clarifying Conditioner
    Conditioner/LI:
    same for both -- whatever I have in the shower at the time (I experiment a lot)
    Style: EcoStyler Olive Oil <3
    Dry: Diffuse or air dry, or both...depends on my mood

• WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Are you letting your hair get absolutely bone dry before scrunching it out? If not, it will cause finer and/or less curly hair to act like that or, for curlier hair, to lose definition and just frizz up.

After your partial diffusing, just keep your hands out of it until it's really, truly dry.

Also, in case you don't realize it, your Pantene conditioner probably has 'cones, which could also be contributing. Not familiar with your shampoo, but I'd check to be sure it's sulfate-free, though probably wouldn't have anything to do with your going-limp problem.

Lastly, though LALSG is a good firm-hold gel, you may not be using enough to really set a good cast. If you use more and then let hair completely dry as I keep harping on, it is still pretty easy to break it up and scrunch it out. Doing it while there's any moisture remaining can make it almost impossible to scrunch out and just defeats all you're trying to accomplish in the first place.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • morninglorrimorninglorri Posts: 2Registered Users
    Thanks for the help. :)

I finally got to the store and got some CG products. I did one finally sulfate wash to remove any cones and build up. I've been using Tresemme Naturals Shampoo and Conditioner (for both RO and LI) w/ the LALSG. I'm not sure if I'm using enough gel because my hair is never crunchy. I put several quarter size drops in my hair - it's just past my shoulders and I have a lot of hair. Do I need more? Am I removing it when I scrunch with my t-shirt?

I definitely don't touch it until its bone dry. Except to check and see if it is dry that is. Ha ha

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file