If you bf/pumped - did you feel the letdown?

geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
I think I am a weirdo because I never ever felt anything when I let down. I still had plenty of milk, since I exclusively nursed for 6 months and had a healthy kid.

I wonder how common that is.

My mom said she never felt anything either.
To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.

Comments

• curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    I think for every women, it's different. My letdown feels like my armpits are super itchy. I only get letdown when I breastfeed - very rarely when I pump.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    I always felt it. But sometimes I would leak and wouldn't feel it at all, until I looked down at my shirt.
  • itsjustmeghanitsjustmeghan Posts: 652Registered Users
    mine felt like pins and needles...like my boobs were falling asleep :lol:
    i couldn't feel it in the beginning. i knew i was letting down when owen would pull off the breast coughing. (i had a pretty agressive letdown).
    i didn't really start to feel it until i was back to work and pumping. what was funny was what things would trigger letdown during my regular workday. i swear all it would take was me smiling or laughing and i would feel the rush...boobpads were my best friends...of course, as soon as i went into the room to pump, it wasn't so easy! :roll:
    3A Once again on the quest for BSL healthy curly hair....
  • SweetPicklesSweetPickles Posts: 850Registered Users
    Then I'm a weirdo too, because I never felt anything either. :)
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
  • Jenny CJenny C Posts: 1,195Registered Users
    I felt the letdown, but it took a while before I realized that's what I was feeling.

I was pumping the whole time so I could see the milk. I started to notice that I could tell when more milk would start coming, that's when I realized that I was feeling the letdown.

If I couldn't see what was going on though, I don't know if I would have made the connection.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    I think for every women, it's different. My letdown feels like my armpits are super itchy. I only get letdown when I breastfeed - very rarely when I pump.

not only would my pits get tingly and itchy at the onset of letdown, but i could feel my milk ducts (or the muscles around them) contracting just before my nipples started leaking milk. it was a tight, almost crampy sensation, but not painful, just uncomfortable.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    medussa wrote:
    I always felt it. But sometimes I would leak and wouldn't feel it at all, until I looked down at my shirt.

this was also me. and unfortunately it happened when i was on business and heard a sound that reminded me of one of our son's toys. my colleague pointed to my shirt and there were 2 HUGE wet circles staining the front of my shirt! i produced lots of milk. my milk leaked through nursing pads like they were one-ply tissue squares!
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I always felt a very intense letdown. At the beginning each time after birth, it would be toe-curlingly painful, but it got to be just pins and needles after a few months. I always felt it though, even when pumping. I still feel it when I hear a baby's hunger cry, although nothing comes out now...thank goodness for that!
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    Spinoff question - how long after you weaned did you dry up completely? I am not leaking or anything, but it's been 4 months and I still get a little drop sometimes when the breasts are being handled.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It took several months for me to completely dry up each time after weaning. Of course, "handling" may prolong that...
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    I only felt letdown when my kids were little- like under 6 months.

I dried up pretty quickly both times- Max had an extended weaning period, though- he was 2 1/2 and not even nursing every day. I weaned Maya at 17 months and the milk went away within a couple of weeks, but she had only been nursing once a day and I was under a lot of stress, which may have had something to do with it.
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't always feel a let down but when I do it's a warm sensation in my breast. I can get it pumping or breastfeeding.

Don't you just love it when they are feeding on one side and the otherside begins to leak...
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    My experience is similar to RCW. Very painful at first, then eased up over time to just pins and needles, with a slight tightening sensation. I felt let down when pumping as well, though not as strong if I was only using the pump. If I nursed one side and pumped the other I got a strong let down. After kid #1 it took just over a year to dry up, with kid #2 I got pregnant with kid #3 and pregnancy dried up my milk, and I am now almost a year since weaning kid #3 and squeezing alone doesn't make a drop come out but if I manipulate the breast as if I were manually expressing I get a drop or two out. The left breast I think might be dried up, but righty was always the bigger producer so I think it is going to take a bit longer to dry up.

ETA: Wearing cabbage leaves in your bra cups is supposed to be a natural method for drying up your milk. I haven't tried it though.
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    felt intense letdown with Ian for the first 4-6 months while my milk supply established. With Ryan it was way shorter, like 2-3 months but both kids were nursing.

I've heard that you never really dry up.
    Geeky, I can't remember how long it took to dry up. A few months, for sure.
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I had an intense feeling of letdown, moreso with #2 than with #1. With #2 the letdown was too strong for her, and poor thing would be gulping.

Occassionally, I would feel letdown when I leaked, too...but there were sometimes that I would leak and not know it.
    :rambo:
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My letdown was painful. I could always tell when plugged ducts were starting because it would get painful enough to bring tears to my eyes.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • three rivers curlythree rivers curly Posts: 994Registered Users
    Oh yeah I felt the let down. If I thought about it, I would feel it. It could be downright painful.

Question 2 - It took a few months - maybe 6? for the milk to dry up completely.
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

http://public.fotki.com/hmiklos
  • PoPo Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    I stopped getting little droplets about a 1-1/2 to 2 years ago. He'll be four in a few months.
    3c/4a
  • j'adorej'adore Posts: 1,966Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I definitely felt mine. I am still BF, but its not as strong as it used to be. It was a tingling feeling. The boobie would get hot kinda. LOL. I still have that one lazy boob. I'm lopsided, too. :?
    "Don't play me...I'm over 30, and I don't smoke weed"
    -Prince

catcatadr20050914_-8_Marley+is.png
    j'adore wrote:
    I definitely felt mine. I am still BF, but its not as strong as it used to be. It was a tingling feeling. The boobie would get hot kinda. LOL. I still have that one lazy boob. I'm lopsided, too. :?

I seemed to have one breast that produced more milk too. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because my son had a preference for one over the other.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I had one that produced more milk too and I exclusively pumped. I think they were equal until I had mastitis. After that, the affected breast was never able to go full steam ahead again.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have one bigger than the other too. I think Chas preferred this one when he was little...it produces double the milk.

I just hope I go back to normal afterwards...
  • curlymelcurlymel Posts: 359Registered Users
    I felt letdown (tingling, almost painful) my whole 16 months of BFing and pumping. When Audrey was BFing she preferred one breast that produced almost double what the other did. When she went on permanent strike, I nearly evened out with pumping.
    Type 3a/3b, fine/medium hair, modified CG since 12/2003, Using CHS Curl Keeper, Bioterra gel, Ojon, Elucence
    http://public.fotki.com/curlymel/ Password: curls
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    j'adore wrote:

this is me too. even now, I feel the tingly feeling.
    Does the lopsidedness even out when you're done?
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • CurleeDSTCurleeDST Posts: 467Registered Users
    Oh I could always feel it.
    geeky wrote:
    I think I am a weirdo because I never ever felt anything when I let down. I still had plenty of milk, since I exclusively nursed for 6 months and had a healthy kid.

I wonder how common that is.

My mom said she never felt anything either.
    I am a 3c/4a with medium/fine strands
    No strict haircare regimen - trying my hand at the Curly Girl Method.

Fitness Blog: http://femmefitalefitclub.com/
    Check out the Femme Fitale Facebook page: facebook.com/FemmeFitaleFitness

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file