CurlTalk

Hair Drying Issues

amandauramandaur Posts: 3Registered Users
I have a mixture of 2c and 3a curls, and I have been using the CG method for two months now. My hair takes hours to air dry and I don't have that kind of time in the morning. I can't let my hair dry when I sleep because then the curls become limp and lose their definition. I also can't use a diffuser because it makes my hair large and frizzy beyond belief. I have tried using a hooded dryer but it made my hair too flat on top and is also very time consuming. I am becoming frustrated and I don't know how to make my hair dry faster without frizz. Any suggestions? :toothy7:

Comments

• _Eva__Eva_ Posts: 87Registered Users
    Did you try the pixiegirl method for diffusing? Or plopping?
    Hair type: 3b, normal porosity, medium texture

co-wash and rinse out: Inecto coconut conditioner
    leave in: sHegron Aloe vera conditioner or Inecto coconut conditioner
    styler: L'Oreal gel / mousse

Currently experimenting with home made flax seed gel (latest version with agave syrup and gelatine), home made protein treatments (latest version with gelatine and coconut oil)

IHerb code: SGW867 (up to $10 off)
  • amandauramandaur Posts: 3Registered Users
    I have tried the pixiegirl method for diffusing but it makes my curls look bent and frizzy as opposed to the loose spiral curl that forms when I air dry. Do you suggest I try plopping?
  • _Eva__Eva_ Posts: 87Registered Users
    Yes :D
    Hair type: 3b, normal porosity, medium texture

co-wash and rinse out: Inecto coconut conditioner
    leave in: sHegron Aloe vera conditioner or Inecto coconut conditioner
    styler: L'Oreal gel / mousse

Currently experimenting with home made flax seed gel (latest version with agave syrup and gelatine), home made protein treatments (latest version with gelatine and coconut oil)

IHerb code: SGW867 (up to $10 off)
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    amandaur wrote: »
    I have a mixture of 2c and 3a curls, and I have been using the CG method for two months now. My hair takes hours to air dry and I don't have that kind of time in the morning. I can't let my hair dry when I sleep because then the curls become limp and lose their definition. I also can't use a diffuser because it makes my hair large and frizzy beyond belief. I have tried using a hooded dryer but it made my hair too flat on top and is also very time consuming. I am becoming frustrated and I don't know how to make my hair dry faster without frizz. Any suggestions? :toothy7:

Try more leave in conditioner and styler before you diffuse and only diffuse part way not to fully dry.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • fightingfrizzfightingfrizz Posts: 65Registered Users
    Watch it with plopping, as it can give me the bent curls you described
    UK based, Curly from birth 2b-2c fairly porous with cherub tendencies and frizz halo! Faves include KCKT and Keracare LIs, Deva Curl, CCCCL, Ecosyler gel and Be Curly Curl Enhancer. I don’t mind the odd cone - shhh smile.gif CG since August 2012
  • rhosyn_durhosyn_du Posts: 99Registered Users
    My hair retains water like nothing else (when it was long, it literally took days to dry fully), so I feel your pain. This is my current styling/drying routine, which is the best I've found so far:
    1. Apply leave-in and gently squeeze out as much water as possible with leave-in-covered hands. Some people can use a t-shirt or microfiber towel to do this, but it gives me all kinds of frizz.
    2. Scrunch in gel and plop into a microfiber turban.
    3. After getting dressed, remove turban and plop into a second, dry microfiber turban. By this point, my first turban is soaked through.
    4. After doing makeup (~10 minutes), remove second turban and clip roots. This not only gives me lift at the roots, but it separates my hair enough at the roots that they dry faster. If I don't clip, I end up with flat, wet-all-day roots.
    5. During my commute, I set the fan to high on recirculate, turn on the A/C, and adjust the heat to just below uncomfortably warm. This removes a ton of moisture from the air and helps dry my hair faster.
    6. When I get where I'm going, I take out my clips before I leave the car, and then SCOTC as soon as I'm inside and out of the wind. My hair is usually still slightly damp at this point, but as long as I stay out of the wind until it finishes drying, I don't get much frizz.
    2c, fine/medium with a few coarse grays, medium porosity, normal elasticity, protein-sensitive

Modified CG
    Low-Poo: L'Oreal EverCurl Shampoo
    RO: L'Oreal EverCurl Conditioner
    LOC: KCKT,
    Nightblooming Triple Moon Hair Anointing Oil, & Nightblooming Panacea or Freya Hair Salve
    Styling: Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Gel, Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Finishing Paste