CurlTalk

SweetCurlsElixirs flax seed and okra products

CurlyGrey3CurlyGrey3 Posts: 508Registered Users
Today I tried the Sweet Curls Flax Seed Defining Gel from our very own swtndspcy's SweetCurlsElixirs etsy shop. I swear that stuff is magic. It did such a great job reducing my frizz and clumping my hair! The best part about it is that you can customize it with your own add-ins. I had her add aloe, avocado oil, and xanthan gum.

I also got the FSG curl cream, but I haven't given it a good try yet. I'll review it when I get a chance. She also sells okra gel, FSG spray, and an oil treatment.

She's been getting rave review from the Wavy Hair Community members. I think putting the etsy link here violates the forum rules, but you can find it.
Salt & pepper wavy mix 2B/2C
Low to normal porosity, coarse, kinky, normal elasticity
Current favorites:
Low poo: Yes To Cukes Color Protection (the no sulfate one)
Conditioners: Renpure MPHIP, CJ Smoothing Lotion, AB LI, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan/Olive, Darcy's Pumpkin
Style: FSG, BRHG
Pre-poo/DT: Conditioner with honey & coconut oil

iHerb discount code: PNQ285

Comments

• PookarinaPookarina Posts: 69Registered Users
    I use Sweet Curls Elixirs FSG with preservative only
    I thought the FSG thing was bunk until I tried this.
    It's worked great for me so far.

Next time I think I'll try the okra gel
    Now I can't wait!
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    Facebook page /home/leaving?target=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fsweetcurlselixirs" class="Popup

I'm dying to try the flaxseed curl cream and okra gel given the rave reviews on the Wavy Hair Community.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • CurlyGrey3CurlyGrey3 Posts: 508Registered Users
    I'm tempted to try the okra. I've never tried it and my store doesn't carry okra.
    Current favorites:
    Conditioners: Renpure MPHIP, CJ Smoothing Lotion, AB LI, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan/Olive, Darcy's Pumpkin

• FloridaCurlyFloridaCurly Posts: 21Registered Users
    CurlyGrey3 wrote: »
    I'm tempted to try the okra. I've never tried it and my store doesn't carry okra.

I have both the okra and the fsg and, while I LOVE both of them and it is really hard to choose, for some reason I find myself reaching for the fsg more often. I really want to try the FSG curl cream and I will, when I start getting low on the FSG and it's time to reorder. I love the idea of an all-in-one product.
    2C/Fine Texture/Normal Porosity/Normal Elasticity/Very Humid Climate
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,270Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just ordered a small FSG and curl cream. I'm anxious to see how it works. I may not have enough curl for it to be a big deal but I've sure seen some amazing results with waviers than me.
  • CurlsnswirlsCurlsnswirls Posts: 865Registered Users
    I want some...:-(
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users
    I'm anxious to try it but we'll be moving soon so it will have to be after that. And I should probably list some stuff on the swap boards because I would never finish it!
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,675Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    I looked at her shop after someone (sorry I can never remember who says what!) mentioned her products and really liked the look of them but unfortunately the postage is just too much. Not her fault, it costs what it costs, postage prices seem to be going up everywhere. Not fair.
    3b in South Australia.
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    Starmie wrote: »
    I looked at her shop after someone (sorry I can never remember who says what!) mentioned her products and really liked the look of them but unfortunately the postage is just too much. Not her fault, it costs what it costs, postage prices seem to be going up everywhere. Not fair.

No idea if this is practical but apparently three bottles can fit into a flat rate box, you might share with another Australian curly from NC or from the Facebook Aussie Curly Girls group? I am tempted to do that to the UK.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • swtndspcyswtndspcy Posts: 692Registered Users
    Unfortunately, the way Etsy is set up, I can only estimate the shipping internationally. I tried to estimate to the best of my ability but already short changed myself by underestimating, thus I had to raise my estimate yet again.
    The true shipping charges for international customers will most definitely vary, and I chose the cheapest option that I could find (first class USPS, which provides no tracking, and no insurance)
    The only way I can think of around this, would be if one checked out using PayPal, then I could refund the shipping difference, if any, when I knew for sure what the cost would be. I have done this for a Canadian customer.
    It is unfortunate that international shipping is so high. :(
  • asugirlasugirl Posts: 937Registered Users
    Is there anybody that had used BB's flax seed gel and this one and can give us a good comparison review?

2c/3a - fine - medium porosity & density
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,675Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    Firefox - I don't do Facebook and I'm not sure there's any other Aussie curlies visit here any more (I'm very lonely!). Good thought though.

Swtndspcy - I've often though estimating shipping to different places must be a bit of a minefield, probably why so many sellers don't do it, at least you do. I've all but stopped sending presents to my family in the UK because the postage is ridiculously expensive and then there's often customs and import tax issues - it's just not worth it.
    Your products do look good though!
    3b in South Australia.
  • fightingfrizzfightingfrizz Posts: 65Registered Users
    Firefox, that's an interesting idea!
    UK based, Curly from birth 2b-2c fairly porous with cherub tendencies and frizz halo! Faves include KCKT and Keracare LIs, Deva Curl, CCCCL, Ecosyler gel and Be Curly Curl Enhancer. I don’t mind the odd cone - shhh smile.gif CG since August 2012
    I wanted to mention Sweet Curls owner broke her ankle today. She should be putting up some info on her Etsy page soon regarding timing for orders.
  • CurlyInTheFogCurlyInTheFog Posts: 876Registered Users
    Unfortunately USPS foreign shipping rates have gone up astronomically in the past year. I've done a fair amount of overseas shipping (LHC swap board stuff). A year ago I could ship a hair fork to Germany, USPS first class, for $6. I sent a fork to Germany a few months ago, and postage was $12.75! :angry2:

So sorry about the broken ankle, swtndspcy. I do want to try the okra gel out, but I'll wait a while to put my order in. Feel better soon! :sunny:
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

Suave conditioner, LAL gel
    Starmie, I definitely don't blame you for not wanting to pay the shipping. It is unfortunately the cheapest rates i have found, and they are still very high! I hate shipping charges, and if i could eliminate them, i would.
    Curlyinthefog, thanks. :) As far as broken ankles go, it could have been worse, but still very bad timing!
    I do plan on still filling orders, but it's going to be slow and difficult while on crutches.

Sent from my N9100 using CurlTalk App
  • CurlyInTheFogCurlyInTheFog Posts: 876Registered Users
    Don't I know it! My mom broke both her ankles the day her first grandchild was born (my son). She was too excited and rolled a golf cart, so really was lucky it wasn't worse. Anyway, she had surgery and was basically confined to bed for eight weeks. Still, one broken ankle is bad enough and crutches are no fun.
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

Suave conditioner, LAL gel
    Oh my gosh! That's terrible!

• 09robiha09robiha Posts: 683Registered Users
    How long does the FSG with preservatives last?
    Mixture of 2c/3a curls, fine to med texture

:love5: PROTEIN LOVER!!! :love5:

Wishing my hair would be more like this
    > :angel13:
    and less like this
    > :evil5:
    At least 2-4 months.

• 09robiha09robiha Posts: 683Registered Users
    Ahhh that may be worth my buying then! I didn't want to buy in bulk and then have it all go off!
    Mixture of 2c/3a curls, fine to med texture

:love5: PROTEIN LOVER!!! :love5:

Wishing my hair would be more like this
    > :angel13:
    and less like this
    > :evil5:
  • MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users
    I finally ordered my FSG from Sweet Curls Elixirs. I used the CURL CREAM yesterday for the first time--she customized it for me, but I don't know what the formula is other than I asked for a white musk scent. Here is how it looked when I got up (I'm still wearing my nightie here), SECOND DAY HAIR, no rewetting.

The only thing I used besides the SCE FS Curl Cream is some leave-in condish. I always use leave-in, even when I use no other product. Otherwise, no added hold products/gels/serums/sprays.

And I didn't pineapple. I slept with loose hair, which explains the bit of frizz , which I find quite tolerable for 2nd Day Hair. :)

Because I've had past issues with BB with FSG spoilage sooner than desired (I rotate products, so I need stuff to last me months and months), I keep mine in the fridge and go get it when I'm ready to wash hair.

I plan to use the FSG by her to see which I like better, the FSG or the CC.

For former Botticelli Botanicals customers: This is just as good, possibly better. I'd have to wait and see how it lasts without spoilage and how it plays with other stuff like BB (which worked beautifully with CJ CurlQueen and ABBA Pure Gel). But definitely a nice product.

Mir
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    Been trying the flax seed gel and wow. It really does a great job. Here are the last two days. All I have in besides the FSG is a bit if SMCES on the ends for LI.

Yesterday:
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1385696521.123437.jpg

Today. Same thing although I did a full DT with CJRM before.

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1385696567.424900.jpg

I'm possibly hooked. Normally I need hard hold gel too but this is working well even without that.
    Check out today! I divided my hair into layers after de-pinappling. Starting with the under layer, I spritzed in sections and rake/squeezed little drops (pea size) of SCEFSG in and then scrunched.Worked through whole head that way, scrunched a little SSCC on the ends when I was done with getting the SCEFSG all the way through. Diffused and air dried. SOTC with a teeny amount of SMCES. Wowza second day hair. And it's soooooft.
  • LauraimesLauraimes Posts: 880Registered Users
    Great results Chupie! Your hair looks well-defined, shiny and healthy!

Now I'm eager to try SweetCurlsElixirs as well. I'm fascinated by formula 2 of Sweet Curls Flax Seed Defining Gel Elixir.

Formula 2 - Fine Hair, Low-porosity
    with horsetail (volume), Irish Moss (curl enhancement and hold), Xanthan Gum (clumps and hold), marshmallow root (used as an oil replacement for low-porosity hair that tends to have oils sit on the outside of the hair shaft), magnesium sulfate (adds texture and volume, enhances curl), silk protein (adds strength to help fine hair support curls, helps patch damage, conditions. Silk is a gentler, more conditioning protein which fine, low-porosity hair can use with out worrying about getting over-proteined.)

While I think the prices of the products are not high at all, especially considering it's all natural and homemade, it's a shame that shipping rates are always high. I know you cannot do anything about that, swtndspcy, so I don't blame you. I just wish I could try your products - they sound amazing, and I don't have the ingredients to do it myself. I really like that you put so much thought and consideration in why you use particular ingredients, and why you think these are specifically useful for someone with that hair type.
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Fine, low porosity, high density, normal elasticity
    Hairtype 2c

Low poo: Petal Fresh Organics Rosemary & Mint Volumizing Shampoo
    Protein: Colorful Neutral Protein Filler
    Detangler/RO: KCKT (winter) or Curl Junkie Beauticurls Argan & Olive Oil (summer)
    Styling: KCCC

Beauty Is Not a Number
    09robiha wrote: »
    How long does the FSG with preservatives last?

Alissa says 2-4 months.
    Today.

11 am

to

9 pm

Unbelievable. I love Sweet Curls.
  • CurlyGrey3CurlyGrey3 Posts: 508Registered Users
    Gorgeous!
    Current favorites:

• asugirlasugirl Posts: 937Registered Users
    I got a sample from Alissa in my order of what I think is a new product for her: Hard Hold Aloe and Flax Jelly Elixir. Has anyone else tried it? I like it but I've only used it once. Would love to hear some opinions.

2c/3a - fine - medium porosity & density
  • LauraimesLauraimes Posts: 880Registered Users
    Asugirl, you should check her Facebook page. She enquired about people's experiences with her new products. So far people are loving it.
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Fine, low porosity, high density, normal elasticity
    Hairtype 2c

Low poo: Petal Fresh Organics Rosemary & Mint Volumizing Shampoo
    Protein: Colorful Neutral Protein Filler
    Detangler/RO: KCKT (winter) or Curl Junkie Beauticurls Argan & Olive Oil (summer)
    Styling: KCCC

Beauty Is Not a Number