long time no post! the current routine....

itsjustmeghanitsjustmeghan Posts: 652Registered Users
i haven't been on here in what feels like a lifetime...except to the pregnancy & family board. i haven't thought much about my hair in the past year.
so, here's what's happening.

CUT:
after a neverending quest to get long hair, it got there, and started to shed out really bad from post preggers...while the curls were beautiful, the long hair didn't do much of anything for me, so i cut it all off again. i felt more like me when i looked in the mirror. right now its in a slight wedge, and hangs around chin length when its dry. i actually cut layers into the sides a little earlier this week, and the results are quite pleasing. i'll probably keep cutting my own hair for a while! :lol:

CLEANING/CONDITIONING:
i use elucence shampoo and condiiton, and use their clarifier 2 times a month. i probably wash my hair 2 times a week, just shampooing the scalp. works well, and i love the smell of elucence. so yummy!

STYLING:
my leave in is One C. my hair likes it. i bought a bunch cheap on the swap boards and inherited some from a friend. my stash will probably last me a lifetime! i've been using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]AG REcoil[/buylink] lately. my hair seems to enjoy it. i also use some paul mitchell super sculpt in the top layers to help with the curls. during the summer, i'll probably go back to my nearly product free routine of one c and SIF. this winter my hair needed a little extra help.

COLOR:
i got highlights and low lights.....honey blonde and some red color. i hate them. they're too thin, so my chunky curls have stripes going through them..makes even good hair days look stringy. i'm saving up to get my hair done again, this time, i'm going to have them handpaint color on my dry curls. and i'm not going back to the same place i did last time. i asked for chunky and explained why i needed it.....she also kinda did her owen thing with the color....
i'll just have to tolerate it for a while..

so, what's the haps with you? tell me about your routines!
3A Once again on the quest for BSL healthy curly hair....

Comments

• medusahairmedusahair Posts: 3,515Registered Users
    Hey there! If my hair was as cute as yours short I'd keep it short definitely!

Mine is still growing

Cleansing: winter I no poo and co wash, summer I usually use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]elucence moisture balancing[/buylink] shampoo as needed and their clarifier as needed.

Conditioner: back to basics peach pomegranate conditioner, beauty without cruelty leave in, or Paul mitchell the conditioner, or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Aloeba-Daily-Conditioner-p-104.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-aloeba-daily-conditioner]aloeba[/buylink] depending on the time of year. Mostly BWC though.

Styler: Suave anti frizz gel until it runs out. Summer I'll use HE HDG until it runs out and Aveda flax seed gel, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCare-Arc-AnGell-p-567.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacare-arc-angell]DevaCare Arc Angell[/buylink]

No coloring, natural brunette all but the whites coming in
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    http://public.fotki.com/Medusahair/

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Wow, our hair looks pretty similar. I've been itching to cut mine, and you're definitely not helping me fight it. ;) Here's what I've been doing lately.

Cleansing/Conditioning :I've been mostly co-washing with VO5 Passion Fruit. Apparently my hair doesn't really need shampoo in the winter, and I've been using my EMBS less than once a week. I've been conditioning with Kenra Moisturizing. It's similar to Elucence, but is more moisturizing and smells great. I can't stand the smell of EMBC, I don't understand why they can't make it smell like the shampoo.

Styling: [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]re:coil[/buylink] is still my staple, but I've been mixing it with some L'Oreal Out of Bed cream for volume. Lately, I've been really liking the new L'Oreal Tightly Wound gel on top.

Color: I'm eyeing the box of Revlon Frost & Glow in my bathroom, but I've been scared to use it. We'll see what happens.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • heavengirl410heavengirl410 Posts: 821Registered Users
    For me: Co-wash Vo5 flavors, conditioner-B2b pomegrante, or AHC, I love PM the conditioner as a leave in, Like LOOB and clairol 3 in 1, plopping is a must for me, then I air dry.
  • itsjustmeghanitsjustmeghan Posts: 652Registered Users
    hmmm...now i'm wanting to pull the aloe vera out of the bathroom again and try that on my hair. i haven't tried it in forever. never really used it alone under gel. i got it originally to use as a deep treatment and used it mixed in some homemade pomade i tried to mix up when i first started on this board. now that i'm not doing CG maybe it'll act differently under some gel...
    i think i'll try it tomorrow morning!
  • mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    hey meg! it's good to see you!

i'm glad you're liking the cut. that's sort of my default style too, and i always love it.

i on the other hand, after a setback last may, am growing it out again. i've been being really strong and going 6 months between trims! the longest pieces go a bit past my collarbones when stretched out, and it's all just grazing or a tiny bit past shoulder length when curly. i want to see how long i can get it, just because it's been so long since i've had it so long. ;) but i have a feeling i'll go shorter again sometime, but i want to have it around shoulder length for a while.

i'm still mostly product free, just using my hg kenra pomade on almost dry or dry hair. but i've been playing around with my routine, trying to find something that i'll be able to get easily when i move to spain this summer.

right now i'm digging the following routine:

- bumble and bumble sunday shampoo followed by acv rinse whenever my hair feels blah (about every two weeks, but sometimes once a week), followed by 1 hour wrapped in a towel with condish left in (my easy dt).

- co wash and condition with garnier fructis sleek and shine rinse out. i sometimes do a less thorough rinse, but i really haven't been leaving much of anything in this winter.

- kenra platinum grooming pomade for a little extra control and definition.
    (i'm going to have to stock up on this before i go, because the only place i've found to ship it charges $40!!! :shock: )

simple still works best for me!

:D

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

garnier sleek and shine rinseout, huh? whats in that stuff? does it weigh your curls down at all? i'd be curious to see how that works as a leave in.
    i love the whole less is more thing...but this winter my hair doesn't seem as content. part of that i think has to do with all the new growth still growing out from shedding hair after owen, and the other is the last haircut i got the girl went to town on my hair with thinning shears. :roll: so my hair looks frizzier then it should,...
    hmmm
    i might have to pick some of this wonder product of yours up and see what i think...i used pomade as my styler forever when i was in college....

you're moving to spain?! crazy! are you going over there to teach? or are you going to do something else?

i'm off to see if you have updated pictures on your link!
    oh that's a bummer that you got 'thinned'. :( it will grow out though!

the garnier fructis, i'm surprised i like so much. some have compared it to one c. it actually feels less producty to me, even though it has amodimethicone higher on the list. since i'm shampooing fairly regularly, though, i'm not concerned with it. it hasn't seemed build-up-y to me, and doesn't weigh me down. cheap, too! there is a leave-in in the same line, but i did not like it at all, that one did weigh me down. sometimes i do a quick rinse of the rinse out, and it does fine. it detangles very nicely.

i love the kenra pomade. i have been using it for years, but until recently (going sans stylers so much) i never realized just how much i like it. i just use the tiniest smidge (usually on damp hair, but i can use it dry on ends and canopy to define) and it really helps my hair be smooth and bouncy. its main indgredients are squalene, pvp, glycerin, lanolin wax and castor oil (peg modified). no cones, no proteins, and it does not build up. it does have a perfumey scent, but a nice one, and it doesn't linger terribly.

the best thing is that a pot lasts me forever and ever.

i'll be working, if all goes well, when i get to spain, yes ... but i'm moving there to be with my bf. :D

how is owen?

m

ps - i do have one pic from november on my yahoo, and a couple on my myspace page, but they're not terribly great photos ...
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• hockeymomof3hockeymomof3 Posts: 2,159Registered Users
    garnier sleek and shine rinseout, huh?

Here are the ingredients to the Sleek and Shine rinse out condish:
    Water (Aqua), Ceteary Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Amodimethicone, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Fragrance (Parfum), Cetyl Esters, Lauryl PEG/PPG-18/18 Methicone, Methylparaben, Persea Gratissima (Avocado Oil), Niacinamide, Pyridoxine HCl, Trideceth 12, Citric Acid, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot Kernel Oil), Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane Extract), Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Cetrimonium Chloride, Linalool, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citrus Limonum (Lemon Peel Extract), Camellia Sinensis (Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract)

I am loving their conditioners (rinse out) too!!
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Conditioner - One Condition
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

Looking to try Devacurl Decadence line next! Can't wait to try it.
    hmmmm....so i'm thinking i'll pick up some of that when i go to the store. i love one c, but i can tell my hair wants more, but when i do that, it gets SO producty...it's like the dime is not enough...it wants the nickle-quarter sized blob...

i know you've loved that pomade from when i first started on here. you always manage to go back to it. that's the making of an HG.
    where do you buy it from? and if it lasts forever like that? perfect!

thanks for the ingredients and second vote, hockeymom. i appreciate it! :D

owen is good. getting SO big. can't believe it's been a year. not walking just yet, but he loves to push his folding chair around our living room on teh hardwood floor. if'd he'd only let go and walk alone! hahaa. i'm sure once he does, though, i'll wish he was immobile still!

exciting about spain! moving in with the BF?! EXCITING! :wink:
    aw, i can just picture owen pushing the chair around - cute! yes, i'm very excited about the move!

well, the pomade is hit and miss - i usually get it at a little cheapo salon that carries kenra products, but i think some beauty supply stores might have it, and i've also gotten it on ebay before. lots of online places sell it too. i really do love it, i've always used it.

the trick is to use very little of it (muuuuch less than you'd think you'd need) and emulsify it well between your hands before applying.

hope you like it if you do end up getting it. and the gf too. dominicanaheat was just raving on the main board about the curl & shine leave in, so that might be one to check out too.

:D

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    Hi Meghan! Just wanted to offer another rave for the GF Curl & Shine Leave-in. I haven't tried the C&S or S&S rinse-outs because I use something more moisturizing (Deva One or Curls Ecstasy) but I've really been loving the Curl & Shine leave-in. I've even had good results using it alone without any styling products over it. Pictures here :)
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • long_n_curlylong_n_curly Posts: 300Registered Users
    Now that winter is coming to an end I finally have a routine.
    I rarely need to cleanse as it has been very dry here, the odd time say every 3 wks or so I use HCC. For CO wash I have been using natures gate and Devacare one for condish. Next I have been plopping without product then using CEAHT for a leave in under [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCare-Arc-AnGell-p-567.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacare-arc-angell]arc angel[/buylink]. This has been consistent for giving me coily huge ringlets without weighing me down.
    Now the wether is changing I may be back to the drawing board...do any of you use the GF curl&shine leave in for summer? Im thinking of trying that. Oh last but not least I have been doing overnite OUIDAD DTs every month and it has really perked up my droopy winter hair.
    Maybe we should start a thread on 3A summer routines it will be time for me to switch products pretty soon the humidity is getting REALLY high
    just when I get it all figured out the season goes and changes on me :^)
    Lots of Fine easily weighed down 3A curls
    PJ currently loving Devacare one c, CEHT,& Durahold but still searching for HGs
    Finally grew out my bad layers!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file