I hate my 3a hair!

NoahmeahNoahmeah Posts: 14Registered Users
It's freaking me out!! This curl pattern is so annoying my hair is high porosity and it always looks dry, lately i've been sealing with castor oil but it kinda weighs my hair down. My curls are different everyday and it just makes me feel like a hot messs. I tried everything from shea moisture to kinky curly and nothing works. I'm thinking about permanently straightening it ):

Comments

• anonymous_150263anonymous_150263 Posts: 773Registered Users
    3A hair is difficult... to curly to be wavy and not quit curly enough to be uniform. You sound like my hair twin!

Things that have been helping me:

Flax seed gel

Coconut oil mixed in my leave in and my stylers. Castor oil is a little thick, I use sparingly. Olive oil is great for weekly deep treatments then cowash out really well

Once a month protein treatments

Avoiding humectants in my leave ins and stylers.

Mixing my gel with a little coconut oil helps.

I'm still trying to find the best leave ins myself. I think shae moisture and kccc are higher in humectants I do use both products in layers though, and finish with a hard hold gel. Right now using LA looks nutra curl.

I can have this one day:
    uploadfromtaptalk1378140512024.jpg

Some days this :( (see next response)
    Somedays thisuploadfromtaptalk1378140556402.jpg :(

And most everyday it poofs and frizzes and winds up in a pony tail. Just wanted you to not feel alone. I'm still trying to find the best routine and products.
  • jcfrizzlejcfrizzle Posts: 90Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm sure your curls are beautiful! Sometimes they just act up and everything just seems horrible(this was me like 2 months ago). If you use products with silicones, stop and grab a clarifying shampoo and get that out of your hair. This could be the outcome of product buildup. If you don't use any silicones just read the next part!

Firstly, I recommend using a deep treatment. Either buy one, make one yourself by mixing olive oil and your conditioner or doing one of those fancy recipes with avocados or mayonnaise or something. There are tons of options. I would try using a deep treatment once or twice a week until your hair becomes more manageable. Secondly, while in the shower, do your hair first with conditioner then put it up in a bun on your head while you do everything else that you need to do. This is like a mini deep treatment that you rinse out at the very end of your shower. If your hair I still dry, keep some conditioner in as a leave in. Try to let your hair air dry too! If you can't, make sure you're using a diffuser. And lastly, continue sealing your ends with an oil. I personally love sweet almond oil or avocado oil and they aren't as sticky as castor oil, they're actually quite light. You can buy both for $15 each off of amazon and you get a whole quart of oil!

So just don't give up! Your curls are going to be beautiful and soft so just persevere and don't give in to that temptation of straightening because if you ever want to go curly again it's going to take a lot more work than what you have to do now.
    Love my auburn 3b/3c curls!! Favorite products are Treseme Naturals conditioner and DevaCare ArcAngel(<---miracle for definition!) I really just want to GROW MY HAIR OUT!! It's not really working...
    I agree, don't give in and straighten it! The initiall results are nice but long term results in a lot of damage and breakage. Believe me I did Brazilian Keratin for many years.
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    castor oil might be too heavy. have you tried grapeseed oil? or something like jane carter nourish & shine?

i just last week started using uncle funky's daughter curly magic -- an incredible product!! you can use any leave in with it, any cows

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • NeirelleNeirelle Posts: 126Registered Users
    Where can u get grapeseed oil?
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    health food stores. maybe supermarkets, but not sure about that. it's not at all expensive.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • poxyfairyplumepoxyfairyplume Posts: 85Registered Users
    You sound like me too! My hair only likes the DevaCare line.. I've tried TONS of stuff. Although, I'm still searching for leave ins and styling products, as my hair can tend to be a big poofy mess:faroah:
  • MirtikaMirtika Posts: 18Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Noahmeah wrote: »
    It's freaking me out!! This curl pattern is so annoying my hair is high porosity and it always looks dry, lately i've been sealing with castor oil but it kinda weighs my hair down. My curls are different everyday and it just makes me feel like a hot messs. I tried everything from shea moisture to kinky curly and nothing works. I'm thinking about permanently straightening it ):

Okay, my hair is 3a/3b, was much more 3b before, but I had a radical lifestyle change in 2010 after going natural in late 2009 (ie, I changed how I ate, exercised, supplements) and my hair properties changed. My curl is looser and hair is in better shape.

However, due to hypothyroidism, my hair skews dry. At the start of my journey, it was SUPERDUPER dry and super porous. Would soak instantly, would dry superfast. No elasticity. Now, good elasticity, still dry but not damaged-dry, and it's more a medium than a fine (it used to be hard to see my strands, now, they stand out). I also am not as porous. It's harder to fully soak hair. I'm not fine, medium to even coarse. Weird that, huh?

Hair can change. If your hair is very dry, the problem isn't principally about sealing. The problem is getting it properly moisturized (and protein it up if it needs some). Maybe reconstructed.

What is your routine for moisturizing hair? Very dry hair--like mine was at the start of my journey--needs a lot of TLC. I did deep conditioning treatments with good deep condishes WEEKLY with a processing cap and heat (a bonnet dryer). Until I got overmoisturized, and hair went limp. Now, I do deep condishes maybe once a month or less often. I don't need it as much. I did protein treatments monthly, until I overdid it. Now, I do it once a season.

How often do you deep condition? HOw do you do it? Do you have damaged hair that might need to be trimmed? And what is your routine (wash, condish, deep condish, how and how often)? Folks can help you better if they understand what you are doing now with the properties you have now hair-wise.
    Natural since Nov 2009--change in diet and hair care regimen changed hair profile:
    ~~Used to be very fine/high-porosity/low elasticity/mostly 3b
    ~~Now, medium/med porosity/good elasticity/mostly 3a
    Fave lines: Curl Junkie, Spiral Solutions, AG Curl, Abba Pure
    "Your unique curl pattern is a gift from God."
  • MirtikaMirtika Posts: 18Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh, and for my hair back then, fine and porous, I did try oils and pomades for sealing on low-dewpoint-weeks, but my fine hair tended to look weighed down and "wet" with them. I hated that look. A lot of leave-in condish worked better for me, and just a tiny bit of pomade in my infamouse "dry spot:--all my hairdressers noted this part of my hair. It's just weird.

Fine hair just doesn't generally do well with oiling up. Even using coconut oil for deep condishes left me with me with limp, droopy hair. So, some of us do better not sealing so much, and rather proactively conditioning and keeping protein in balance with moisture.
    Natural since Nov 2009--change in diet and hair care regimen changed hair profile:
    ~~Used to be very fine/high-porosity/low elasticity/mostly 3b
    ~~Now, medium/med porosity/good elasticity/mostly 3a
    Fave lines: Curl Junkie, Spiral Solutions, AG Curl, Abba Pure
    "Your unique curl pattern is a gift from God."
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Coconut oil is supposed to be great for porous pair.
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Argon oil is good too. Light weight & really good for the hair.
  • poxyfairyplumepoxyfairyplume Posts: 85Registered Users
    I'm just getting a handle on my hair. I did a protein treatment last night and it helped get my curls back a bit and more "uniform". I also have much more volume, but the right kind of volume. I've found out I have to stay away with anything shea butter, it made my curls go limp :(
  • NoahmeahNoahmeah Posts: 14Registered Users
    I cowash my hair everyday than i use shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie as a leave in and kinky curly knot today, aftrt that i use the kinky curly curling custard and put on coconut oil.. After waiting 30mins i diffuse. I usually do a hot coconut oil treatement every week and i use a henna shampoo which is
    100% natural and it doesn't have sulfates in it. My hair just always ends up wavy and it looks very dry.. I'm over it. Is there anyway to make my hair more curly like a 3b?
  • SpiralSpunkSpiralSpunk Posts: 243Registered Users
    Noahmeah wrote: »
    I cowash my hair everyday than i use shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie as a leave in and kinky curly knot today, aftrt that i use the kinky curly curling custard and put on coconut oil.. After waiting 30mins i diffuse. I usually do a hot coconut oil treatement every week and i use a henna shampoo which is
    100% natural and it doesn't have sulfates in it. My hair just always ends up wavy and it looks very dry.. I'm over it. Is there anyway to make my hair more curly like a 3b?

What conditioners are you using?

The products you list aren't bad, but I don't see any conditioners.

Kinky Curly Knot Today is great to use with the curling custard, but isn't very moisturizing and the smoothie is not a conditioner either. Oil treatments really make my hair soft, but are not moisturizing or deep conditioning.
    The conditioner i use is too shea from jessicurl and some coconut conditioner from a local store here in the netherlands
  • CurlyInTheFogCurlyInTheFog Posts: 876Registered Users
    I think you may simply be using too much product, or at least that may be part of the problem, especially if your hair is on the fine side. Wash (poo or conditioner), conditioner/LI, and styler. If you like the conditioner you use, leave it in or just dribble a little water over it. I would cut out the SM smoothie, and probably the KCKT as well. I use KCCC, lots of it, and don't use KCKT under it. Maybe my hair just likes KCCC, because I've used it over all kinds of leave ins and never have a problem with it. It gives me great curls.

Since your hair is high porosity, and again especially if it's fine, you may need regular protein treatments. Mine is normal porosity, but fine, and it gets limp without regular protein. Actually it doesn't seem to be able to get either too much protein or moisture, lol.
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

Suave conditioner, LAL gel
  • fireflieslovefireflieslove Posts: 10Registered Users
    I have 2C/3A curls and I felt the same way when I started out a year ago. I've discovered that my personal method is washing twice a week, starting with a tea tree oil shampoo and then using a leave in conditioner helps. I use Mixed Chicks Leave in.

If you're up for trying a new cowash, I tried the L'oreal Evercurl cleansing conditioner. I really enjoyed it for awhile, but realized that washing my hair every day led to drier hair for me. Doesn't do that for everyone, but definitely my hair took a toll.

Have you tried getting a cut specifically for curly hair? Sometimes that's the real game changer. Really helped me with my volume issue.
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    3a can be fickle! I have a mix of some 2's, 3a, and the longer it gets the more into the 3's it goes. Length, cut, weather, and products can all be factors and regardless it's sometimes going to do what it wants.

I would second that you are using too many products. You could have build up from this, one or more of the products you are using may have an ingredient in it that your hair is not reacting well to. That can cause a dry and crunchy feeling. Until you reduce the products, you won't be able to rule that out. I would give myself a good shampoo or clarify, do a good cone free deep conditioning treatment and or protein treatment, and go from there. Rinse your hair in super cold water to seal, use a little actual LI, and one gel. Don't go over board. See how your hair reacts. It's all trial and error.

I'm having a pretty good day today because I washed with a low poo and switched it up. I have to rotate my products.

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1378872921.803445.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1378872997.166687.jpg

My camera makes my hair look a different color in every shot depending on lighting, but it's the auburn :)
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kinkyreggaekinkyreggae Posts: 22Registered Users
    I'm with you on this. It seems like its weather related almost. So, I change products when it's humid. I'll use Shea Moisture soufflé on super humid days along with the curl & hold spray. On days when it's not so humid I'll use less spray or just spray on my top layers & the frizzies around my hairline only. These are my fave products. They hold so well, yet wash out & don't make me break out like a teenager. I'm 36 yrs old & have been a product junkie most of my life.
    Thank you all so much for the advice, i never had a haircut for curly hair i might as wel try that when my hair gets longer, i try to grow it out
    Check out the different curly hair stylists in your area. I got my hair cut by two different people, with two different results. Research first, use the stylist guide they have on here. My stylist not only cuts my hair but gives me advice on my hair and how to keep up with the curly!
    Oh my god, you should NEVER hate your curls. You have amazing hair! Did you get it cut?
    Well thankyou! I haven't had a haircut yet i will do it next year when i have gained more lenght

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file