Help getting root curl?

I have 2c/3a hair but I have very flat roots with no curl! My curls start around about my ears which I know is typical of 2c/3a hair but I was wondering if there was any way of encouraging root curl?
Hair type:2c/3a
Low porosity,medium density,normal elasticity

Comments

• JessiiLeighhJessiiLeighh Posts: 195Registered Users
    You might want to try a sea salt spray and applying it to the hair above your ears. Also try flipping your head over and applying all of your products and scrunching upside down.
    :wav:
    3a, fine/med strand thickness, high density, low porosity
    CG since April 2012
    BC October 2012
    Cleanser: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey or CJ Daily Fix
    RO Conditioner: Mop Top Daily Conditioner
    Leave In: KCKT
    Stylers: Either Raw Curls Spray Gel, Raw Curls Medium Hold Gel, or MopTop Curly Custard, and always topped with Curlisto Control II Gel
    Sealer: Pure Argan Oil
  • ChillyCurlsChillyCurls Posts: 13Registered Users
    I also have 2c hair with straight roots (2-3"). I find I can get higher curls by scrunching out a lot of water with a t shirt before I let my hair air dry. Just makes the hair lighter so it doesn't stretch out. Also clipping might help take the weight off?
  • RustinaRustina Curl Neophyte Posts: 894Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Clipping, using products that don't weigh my hair down, diffusing upside down for a bit, and time - the longer I am CG, the more my hair is curling - are what have helped me develop better root curl.
    Sulfate/non-water-soluble silicone free since 8/16/10
    Northern VA
    Med-coarse, normal porosity, low elasticity
    Dye-free since 11/2010

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Curl Neophyte Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Lack of root curl is classic for 2c, 3a should curl AFAIK.
    Hair Types - Discover Your Hair's Texture
    Try washing and styling upside down instead of right way up, maybe hydrolysed protein and/ or magnesium sulphate for curl boosting.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • fightingfrizzfightingfrizz Posts: 65Registered Users
    Jessicurl Confident Coils has Mag Sulphate and I'm noticing more bounce in my curls after using it with Rocking Ringlets. I'm more 2c than 3a and have the same issue as you. Pinning my roots helps a lot! Also drying upside down. Not tried salt spray though, nice one.
    UK based, Curly from birth 2b-2c fairly porous with cherub tendencies and frizz halo! Faves include KCKT and Keracare LIs, Deva Curl, CCCCL, Ecosyler gel and Be Curly Curl Enhancer. I don’t mind the odd cone - shhh smile.gif CG since August 2012
  • SeawurlsSeawurls Posts: 6Registered Users
    I find twirling the top pieces with a volumizing cream like CHS Tweek works well along with scrunching the top as I scrunch my hair upside down. I've also been able to achieve root lift by placing the diffuser right at roots and again twirling with the fingerlings for a minutes. Hope you find a solution.
  • jcfrizzlejcfrizzle Curl Neophyte Posts: 90Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Finger twist sections of your hair pretty tightly starting at the roots then scrunch. Diffuse the hair then separate the sections when dry. You should get some pretty tight curls. Just make sure to twist in the direction your hair naturally curls!
    Love my auburn 3b/3c curls!! Favorite products are Treseme Naturals conditioner and DevaCare ArcAngel(<---miracle for definition!) I really just want to GROW MY HAIR OUT!! It's not really working...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file