CurlTalk

Trying something new!

AlixFallenStarAlixFallenStar Posts: 15Registered Users
Hi everyone! I'm Alex, 19 yrs old, and due to being a studious and busy college student, I've decided to ditch the hair straightener after 4 years and go with my natural waves.
Unfortunately, my hair has been damaged from the heat treatment, as well as suffers from tons of frizz.

I am using a modified CG I read on a blog (person also has wvy hair). Plus, I need low-po more because I have oily hair.

So I'm on my fourth day on the CG and it's been actually going pretty well :) My waves are starting to adjust. I need to find a product for my frizz control, though.

So yeah, the basics:

Hair: 2b/some c, High porosity, High Density, Med Hair Width. Short hair with layers (growing out longest layer to shoulders)

Would love to have a Hair Twin or a Mentor for this. Otherwise, any advice will do. :)

(Also, random: who can tell me how some people on these threads have like a signature or end statement?? Please and thank you!) :iconbiggrin:
Hair: 2c, maybe a bit 2b
High Porosity, High Denisty
Growing out my short asymmetrical bob and side bangs

Products:
-Trader Joe's Tea Tree Shampoo and Conditioner
-Leave- In spray that I made with : 1 tlspn of Suave Cocnut Condish and water
-Paul Mitchell's Flexible Style Sculpting Serum
-Herbal Essence Tousle Me Softly Mousse
-Tec-Italy Final Touch Gel (ingredients are CG friendly)

Mod CG start: 08/28/2013

Comments

• _Eva__Eva_ Posts: 87Registered Users
    Welcome!

What is your current routine en what products are you using?
    (Also, random: who can tell me how some people on these threads have like a signature or end statement?? Please and thank you!) :iconbiggrin:

Click "User CP" then "edit signature".
    Hair type: 3b, normal porosity, medium texture

co-wash and rinse out: Inecto coconut conditioner
    leave in: sHegron Aloe vera conditioner or Inecto coconut conditioner
    styler: L'Oreal gel / mousse

Currently experimenting with home made flax seed gel (latest version with agave syrup and gelatine), home made protein treatments (latest version with gelatine and coconut oil)

IHerb code: SGW867 (up to $10 off)
  • AlixFallenStarAlixFallenStar Posts: 15Registered Users
    Products:
    -L'Oreal EverCurl Hydracharge Leave-In Cream
    -Paul Mitchell's Flexible Style Sculpting Gel

Routine: Alternating between low-po and co-wash
    1) Massage scalp, put conditioner, then rinse after body wash
    2) Wash scalp with Low-po, then condition
    3) Once a week, completely wash my hair with low-po, still condtion

-After Shower:
    1) right away I put my leave-in cream
    2) I prefer using the mouse over the gel at them moment, as I like how my waves and curls come out. Also, the mousse has no silicone, while the gel I have has water-soluble cones. I use the gel on cowash days, while the mousse I put everyday, though much less on the days I put on the gel.

Then I plop my hair so I can finish drying and changing, usually about 5-10 minutes, before leaving my hair to air dry.
    So far, the leave-in has certainly helped lower my frizz, but I'm looking for a second conditioner and a gel or pomade (preferably drugstore, but I can also try online).

I'm open to changing my routine, as I just started. Thanks!

Products:

Your leave-in contains a cone. It's ingredients are (see here):

Aqua / Water / Eau, Cetearyl Alcohol, Amodimethicone, Cetyl Esters, Behentrimonium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum / Fragrance, Trideceth-6, Isopropyl Alcohol, Cocos Nucifera Oil / Coconut Oil, Vitis Vinifera Seed Oil / Grape Seed Oil, Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Linalool, Hexyl Cinnamal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, 2-Oleamido-1,3-Octadecanediol, Hibiscus Esculentus / Hibiscus Esculentus Seed Extract, Coumarin, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis Oil / Orange Peel Oil, Limonene, Bht

Some people do have a problem with this particular cone, others don't. See: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/52921-how-bad-amodimethicone.html It might be worth experimenting with.

Another possible source for problems may be the cetyl esters. Some people have trouble with them, others do not. I cannot use Cetyl esters in my leave in. I can in my rinse out conditioner though if I rinse really well.

Currently experimenting with home made flax seed gel (latest version with agave syrup and gelatine), home made protein treatments (latest version with gelatine and coconut oil)

I know, I saw the ingredients. However, since my hair is more wavy than curly, and I'm following a modified CG method, I decided to use it for now.
    So far it's helped with my frizz

But if there is a leave in that you know (thats super cheap and easily accessible) that is CG approved for 2b/2c hair, I'm willing to try it out :)

Products:

Your hair type (the number) is far less important when choosing products than characteristics like porosity.

I simply use a small amount of my conditioner as a leave in. Many people do. If you like your conditioner, you can try that and see how that works for you.

Hmm then I need to buy a moisturizing conditioner, because the Tea Tree isn't that thick.

I heard Suave Natural Conditioners are good, also VO5, but Suave seems more common.
    I also want to ask, what is better for high porosity and high density hair: gels or creams??

Because I want to try either Boots Curl Cream, Organix Moracean Curling Perfection Cream.

Products:

• curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users
    Be careful with the organic line. Some of their products have cones in them.
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    Hi everyone! I'm Alex, 19 yrs old, and due to being a studious and busy college student, I've decided to ditch the hair straightener after 4 years and go with my natural waves.
    Unfortunately, my hair has been damaged from the heat treatment, as well as suffers from tons of frizz.

I am using a modified CG I read on a blog (person also has wvy hair). Plus, I need low-po more because I have oily hair.

So I'm on my fourth day on the CG and it's been actually going pretty well :) My waves are starting to adjust. I need to find a product for my frizz control, though.

So yeah, the basics:

Hair: 2b/some c, High porosity, High Density, Med Hair Width. Short hair with layers (growing out longest layer to shoulders)

Would love to have a Hair Twin or a Mentor for this. Otherwise, any advice will do. :)

Welcome!

Conditioner cleanses hair just as well as shampoo, my hair is literally 'squeaky' clean when I am done. Harsh surfactants can be the cause of a greasy scalp anyway because they strip and irritate the skin.

Beneficial ingredients for porous and damaged hair include coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol. I find loads of leave in conditioner is critical for frizz control. Cetyl esters are a wax, they are not CG either and built up terribly for me.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
    I'm starting to notice how my hair has now gotten greaser the more I put the leave-in cream xP

Moroccan Curl Perfection Defining Cream from Organix has no silicones, I checked, so I think I will try that next just because I heard it helps create beach waves.

Otherwise, I want to go buy either Suave Natural Coconut Conditioner, OR VO5, as my leave-in conditioner for now.
    Also, I see Firefox you use Boots curl creme. I was wondering whether to buy that. How is it working for you?

Finding that perfect combo is very difficult x.x

Products:

• SuzyQ3SuzyQ3 Posts: 52Registered Users
    Products:
    -L'Oreal EverCurl Hydracharge Leave-In Cream
    -Paul Mitchell's Flexible Style Sculpting Gel

Routine: Alternating between low-po and co-wash
    1) Massage scalp, put conditioner, then rinse after body wash
    2) Wash scalp with Low-po, then condition
    3) Once a week, completely wash my hair with low-po, still condtion

-After Shower:
    1) right away I put my leave-in cream
    2) I prefer using the mouse over the gel at them moment, as I like how my waves and curls come out. Also, the mousse has no silicone, while the gel I have has water-soluble cones. I use the gel on cowash days, while the mousse I put everyday, though much less on the days I put on the gel.

Then I plop my hair so I can finish drying and changing, usually about 5-10 minutes, before leaving my hair to air dry.
    So far, the leave-in has certainly helped lower my frizz, but I'm looking for a second conditioner and a gel or pomade (preferably drugstore, but I can also try online).

I'm open to changing my routine, as I just started. Thanks!

We're all different, of course, but I ditched my TJ's Tea Tree shampoo and conditioner. I had been thrilled to see a sulfate-free shampoo at such a low price. But that stuff made my hair incredibly dry, and the conditioner was not conditioning at all.

I didn't even keep it for clarifying purposes it was that bad for my hair.
    Finally got Suave Coconut!

I realized Target carries a lot of inexpensive CG approved products, definitely going there more often!

Couldn't find the Organix creme :( but I did get more of the Paul Mitchell's Scuplt Serum. It's amazing for my waves, and absolutely no cruch!

Will add the Suave conditioner to my new, homemade leave-in that I made with TJ's Tea Tree Conditioner, Olive, Almond, and Castor Oil, and water :)
    Tried this spray today and I must say, my hair is noticeably softer and more manageable. Got the idea from an article on this site, will do for now while I keep searching for a creme!

Products: