Curling pudding or custard

curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Questions... I have 3c/4a fine high porosity hair. I love how the curling pudding makes my 4a hair look. Bouncy/springy curls. Some fly away on the sides & a small section in the front. But the curling pudding straightens my 3c hair in the back around the nape of my neck.

Fast forward: my stylist used kinky curly custard on my hair. I wasn't wild about it because it completely left my hair straight. Or it could have been how she detangled my hair. Idk.

I have a HG gel that I love, but can't find it anywhere its supposed to be sold. Softee aloe Vera curl activator gel. It's supposed to be sold at Walgreens or Walmart, but I can't find it at either place. So I'm looking for other alternatives.

Any suggestions anyone? In dire need of a HG styler. So sad I can't find the styler I love. 😢

Comments

• curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    At least I think my hair is high porosity. It typically takes forever to dry. Not sure what drying time means as far as porosity.
  • chloe92uschloe92us Posts: 1,203Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Have you tried drugstore.com or walgreens.com? They usually ship cheaply and have good coupons once you sign up on the website.
    2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Salt & Pepper
    Cleanse: AIA cowash, TJ Tea Tree Condish
    Condish: JC Too Shea, Tresemme Botanique
    Stylers: flax/okra gel or KCCC + CJ PP or JC Spiralicious
    Experimenting with Got2B Ultra gel and loving it so far!
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Sometimes it's not the product but the way it's applied. Since KCCC works great on your 4a sections, you could apply it as usual to those sections. But since your 3c gets weighed down, you could simply apply far less of the KCCC to those parts of your hair.
    I'll give that a try too. Any suggestions for a cheap alternative to kccc?
  • Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If your hair takes forever to dry, it's more likely to be LOW porosity! Does it get wet in the shower easily? Or does it take a minute? If it takes a second it is more likely low porosity, as well.

I'll 2nd drugstore or Walgreens websites. Walgreens has free shipping on orders over 25$!
    2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
    clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
    Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
    RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
    LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
    Seal - MO or Jojoba
    DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
    Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing
  • anonymous_150263anonymous_150263 Posts: 773Registered Users
    I thought high porosity took a long time to dry?
    My hair gets wet easily but takes forever to dry. All day+.
  • chloe92uschloe92us Posts: 1,203Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I thought high porosity took a long time to dry?

No, low porosity takes a long time to dry. There are other factors that effect drying time, though- like the density of your hair and how much product was used (some things like KCCC increase drying time.

But if you had two people with similar density and length, both with no product on, one low and one high porosity....the porous hair would dry much faster than the low porosity hair.
    2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Salt & Pepper
    Cleanse: AIA cowash, TJ Tea Tree Condish
    Condish: JC Too Shea, Tresemme Botanique
    Stylers: flax/okra gel or KCCC + CJ PP or JC Spiralicious
    Experimenting with Got2B Ultra gel and loving it so far!
    Oh ok. I got it now. Thanks Chloe.
    I think hair density is playing a factor too. I have very thick & dense hair.
  • anonymous_150263anonymous_150263 Posts: 773Registered Users
    If porous hair absorbs more water it makes sense that it would take longer to dry. If low porosity hair water just runs off it should take less time to dry. Like when I had brazilian keratin and it seals the hair shaft my hair would dry really fast.
  • JhtdrtJhtdrt Posts: 56Registered Users
    On hair that is porous the cuticle is raised allowing the water to be absorbed quickly but also released quickly.
  • SmilingElephantSmilingElephant Posts: 666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Porous means its full of holes. If you have highly porous hair that means your hair has lots of holes.. so it will receive water very quickly but it will dry very quickly bc the air blows right through it.

Hth.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using CurlTalk App
    2yrs 7 months post relaxer/2 years and 11 months natural

Cleanse: SM Moisture Retention or Suave Naturals shampoos
    Co-Wash: Suave Naturals, L'Oreal EverCreme or EverCurl
    RO/Detangler: Tresseme Naturals:nemo:, GVPCB
    Leave-In: SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie, TN, GVPCB
    Styler: EcoStyler, GF Pure Clean gel, KCCC

Just discovering my hair likes protein! :dontknow:

:wav:
  • SpiralSpunkSpiralSpunk Posts: 243Registered Users
    For your looser sections maybe try raking the product through and then scrunching up.

I can't imagine either of those products turning my hair straight lol.

For a cheaper alternative the 3 Sister's of Nature products claim to be dupes. They're available at some Wal Marts. The "Gelo" is supposed to be similar to KCCC and the "Spiral Pudding" is supposed to be like MJ's Curling Pudding. I love the spiral pudding, but I've never tried the MJ version to compare. I have heard that it is in fact a dupe, but with much better ingredients and price.

I don't know if the Gelo works like KCCC b/c I haven't tested it on my whole head yet. It doesn't look or feel like KCCC and it smells like grape soda rotfl.

Flaxseed gel is kind of like KCCC, but different lol. It's really cheap and homemade so worth a try IMO. Look up the "no fail flaxseed gel" thread on here.
  • artemis513artemis513 Posts: 666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Are you looking for these products to "give" you curls? Have you tried experimenting with how wet or how dry you apply the stylers? Some products work better on wet hair and some work better on damp hair...I've also noticed that how moisturized my hair is before adding a styler is more important than what styler I am using. I realized recently that because my hair has gotten longer I've had to add a lot more leave-in and on wetter hair than I used to, to get the desired result. But I am using less styler. Just a few thoughts to consider...
    4a/3c, fine strands, low porosity, medium density
    Last relaxer: Jan 2010 - BC'd: 2/27/11
    My Fotki
    My Blog
    Thanks ladies. I will look at these & change how much & I apply products.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file