Syria?

Myradella3Myradella3 Registered Users Posts: 2,481
Why exactly does the US have to go there to intervene?

Comments

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    I was listening to CNN on the way home the other day and they were saying something about a red line and now the US had to intervene. Why?? There are enough issues in the States, I would think those need to be looked after before moving on in others.

What if Britain decided to come into the States and take care of gun laws, or whatever?
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Registered Users Posts: 15,490 Curl Neophyte
    It's a hard issue. I can't stand the thoughts of someone killing their people and no one helping. I also can't stand the thoughts of the other dictator asking people to turn in their gay neighbors, and raiding homes (everyone has snapped) but I also get pissed at my Country for rushing into everyones business (especially with the history of ulterior motives, and yes... i have my Trust No One hat on). I was just reading Facebook feeds and most seemed upset by it. Wait for the report, gather information, publicize your debate about it like the UK did in Parliament, and don't go off half cocked and alone when we are in massive debt and have several issues ourselves.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wavydazewavydaze Registered Users Posts: 2,065 Curl Novice
    Admittedly the tone of this piece is a bit condescending (re: the questions) but I still think it's a decent cliff notes/ introductory explanation about the current conflict.

9 questions about Syria you were too embarrassed to ask
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • anonymous_133347anonymous_133347 Registered Users Posts: 1,426
    I'm so glad someone brought this up. I've been in a bad mood regarding Syria all week and I'm torn as well, Fifi. it pains me that any govt would be slaughtering civilians and nobody takes a stand, but seriously, we're gonna go at it alone again, and with no international support and the freaking British Parliament doesn't even have our backs. . . That's it. I'm moving to Canada. Just as soon as I'm done with graduate school. I read this this morning. I feel so badly for the people in Syria who are on tenterhooks waiting to see what Congress might say. :sad3:

Anxiety, Relief, Confusion Build Whirlwind In Damascus : Parallels : NPR
    3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
    Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
    Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
    Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG

wavydaze wrote: »
    Admittedly the tone of this piece is a bit condescending (re: the questions) but I still think it's a decent cliff notes/ introductory explanation about the current conflict.

9 questions about Syria you were too embarrassed to ask

Thanks for this, wavydaze. I had a question or two myself and thought the format was more playful than condescending. I hadn't even heard of the Fareed Zakaria case. Although I have to say the takeaway is depressing me.

CG since Nov. 2012

Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
    Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper

* = HG

• Myradella3Myradella3 Registered Users Posts: 2,481
    It's a lose/lose/lose situation. We will not be better off neither will Syria or its people. I hope that the Congress does not give the president authority to do this.

I do feel sorry for them and makes me appreciate this country more when I see some of the atrocities in other places. But what would we have done if Syria had come into Alabama in the 60s when the Freedom Riders were being attacked by the government?
  • chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    Except I don't remember sarin gas being used in the 60s.

I agree with everyone its a sticky situation. I'm divided on it myself. But I'm sure getting ticked off at the reps galavanting around on the Sunday shows basically DEFENDING Assad. Rand Paul is all "ohhhh Assad protected Christians" b.s. making it to be some kind of Christian/Islam war instead of even trying to understand the complex make up of that country. Or that it's ok to gas Muslim kids because...you know Muslim.

Be against a strike or for, but it's plain crazy to support that SOB in any manner. Oh and the dig at Kerry? From Paul who has never served? "I wish he remembered more of how awful war is and that it shouldn’t be a desired outcome.” Yeah, the Tea Party darlings are at it again proving what a-hats they are.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    Chupie, very well said. (I've actually sworn off the Sunday shows because they make my blood boil so I wasn't aware of anybody defending Assad but I got to say, doesn't surprise me in the slightest.) And I loathe Rand Paul. That's so like him to take a jibe at Kerry so many years later. Just goes to show when the Republicans are in power they're hawks but when Democrats are they're doves.

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

Myradella3 wrote: »
    It's a lose/lose/lose situation. We will not be better off neither will Syria or its people. I hope that the Congress does not give the president authority to do this.

I do feel sorry for them and makes me appreciate this country more when I see some of the atrocities in other places. But what would we have done if Syria had come into Alabama in the 60s when the Freedom Riders were being attacked by the government?

As awful as the mass arrests and mob attacks and firing hoses and police beatings were, I'd like to think if chemical warfare were employed someone would've intervened, you know? But then it is a lose-lose-situation, as you said. And even if we should oust Assad, what does that mean? It could be another Iraq and a Pyrrhic victory at best.

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

Well hell has frozen over. I find myself agreeing with something coming out of Lindsey Graham's mouth.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    Ope. And then he opened his mouth again and I was back to "you idiot".
    Chupie, I'm gonna have to look up what Lindsey Graham said that made you agree with him for a half-second. :confused1:

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

He and McCain were outside the WH. I'm sure it's online. Basically he was making some sense. Then he realized it might make Obama sound too good and he immediately turned around and began bashing. *sigh* I had a half a second hope they'd just approach this as not "let's take out the bad guy". Its just way too complex. Basically they were supportive of a limited plan then turned around and started talking about regime change which IS NOT what the action is supposed to be about. (And not the current plan as much as is known).
  • OBBOBB Registered Users Posts: 4,174 Curl Neophyte
    as ive growned older and read up on the US' history of meddling in foreign affairs i am very wary of our government's intentions. but this chemical attack could lead down quite a slippery slope that nations wont be able to reverse. i think we have to intervene.
  • Myradella3Myradella3 Registered Users Posts: 2,481
    Sarin gas wasn't used in 60s; bombs were - with government knowledge

I feel your pain. I live in KY therefore Rand Paul is technically my senator. That I find myself agreeing with him makes twitch.
    Well and that's the deal. Stick to bombs (right or wrong) and the international rules aren't broken.
    Reagan ignored gas in the 80s and it emboldened invasion of Kuwait.
    Kerry Creates Uncertainty Over ‘Boots On The Ground’ in Syria | TIME.com

I was reading this earlier and flipping out (like da pancake) but then I saw the update:

"UPDATE at 5:00 p.m.: State Department Deputy Spokesperson Marie Harf sends along this statement: “As Secretary Kerry made clear repeatedly during the hearing and over the last several months, the Administration is not considering and has no plans to consider boots on the ground in Syria. Period.”

I don't know, you guys. I guess I should feel comforted but I don't.

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

As I understand it, probably the confusion was over trying to leave wiggle room for special forces to secure CW if it became necessary. There is simply nothing about this situation that is comforting. IMO it is damned if you do damned if you don't. Period. The last president that ignored internal gassing paved the way for an invasion years later. I don't know. I personally don't think there is a "right" answer or action.
  • WintaWinta Registered Users Posts: 24
    I was listening to CNN on the way home the other day and they were saying something about a red line and now the US had to intervene. Why?? There are enough issues in the States, I would think those need to be looked after before moving on in others.

What if Britain decided to come into the States and take care of gun laws, or whatever?

People would probably laugh :) I know what you're saying though. A lot of people don't agree with it, but the great thing about the U.S. is we get little to no say on anything at all. In fact, we vote and some weird electoral college thing elects our president. It all makes sense if you don't think about it.
    More fuel for the fire:

What If Congress Votes 'No' On Syria? : It's All Politics : NPR

I feel like this is a real test of credibility here. I know which side I'll fall on if Congress votes no and the administration persists.

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

I love how there is just continual speculation. On EVERYTHING. All. The. Time. I'm about ready to stop watching or listening to any news.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    Winta wrote: »

People would probably laugh :) I know what you're saying though. A lot of people don't agree with it, but the great thing about the U.S. is we get little to no say on anything at all. In fact, we vote and some weird electoral college thing elects our president. It all makes sense if you don't think about it.

Do you guys get any say in this? I thought congress had said no, then they said 60% of the US is against it and the president would have to be able to away them. Seemed like the people has some sort of say?
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    Winta wrote: »

Do you guys get any say in this? I thought congress had said no, then they said 60% of the US is against it and the president would have to be able to away them. Seemed like the people has some sort of say?

The people have an opinion. The government can listen to that opinion, but the ultimate decision really has nothing to do with us. The president has already made it clear that he could go ahead with this, like it or not (majority of government/people).

I was just looking at some pictures of US military members holding up signs, covering their faces, that state their opposition to the war. They could get in major trouble if identified. I think the news was making a little too much out of it. Like if they went to war they would join the other side. I think it's just their opinions as humans and citizens. They have them, and who can blame them? Some have been at it for a long time.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Many people didn't want to be in several other wars, too.

From what I saw this morning, protests against action are still much larger than for.

I'm still mixed. I watched the most recent video's released. My heart absolutely breaks for them. It's hard as hell to see videos of children... That gets you, and they know that. Several have brought up how it will look if nothing is done after the president has already brought up taking action. All I can say about that is the male ego is not my top priority. I sincerely care about what is being done there, I care about facts, and I care about the concerns people here have. I have them too.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm still on the fence but I have to say when I heard Charlie Rose say after interviewing Assad this a.m. Say Assad tells the American people to tell the government we'd better not do anything I got all "You're not the boss of me" feeling inside. *sigh*
    chupie wrote: »
    I'm still on the fence but I have to say when I heard Charlie Rose say after interviewing Assad this a.m. Say Assad tells the American people to tell the government we'd better not do anything I got all "You're not the boss of me" feeling inside. *sigh*

I felt the same when I heard that, and I have had to check my inner nihilist more than once.

It is odd when you see past interviews with him or pictures of him and wife with Kerry's family. She's out on high dollar shopping spree's as all this is going on, their young son is getting on social media telling Americans not to start something they can't finish. It's all a little weird.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Perhaps just... Different. It's a little hard to take people seriously when Assad is doing numerous interviews, his wife is buying Louis Vuitton's and their 11 year old is ranting and making threats on Facebook.

No, it's still weird.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Let's face it. I cannot understand the disassociation that takes place in people who are walled off from reality. I never understood the pictures of Ghadaffi's sons' wild debauching when all of that was going on. And, it's just....it's not what we've experienced. I will say this, I really REALLY get mad about the constant stating that "Libya is a failure". Libya is a process. I'm sorry but you cannot watch Anthony Bourdain's episode of Parts Unknown and get that it is a **failure**. It's in transition. It is still chaotic in parts. BUT the reps spinning it as a failure because of Benghazi are purposefully painting it that way for "soundbyte" viewers. You should watch the whole thing but this part is especially interesting to me:

Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown, Libya - YouTube

But what is really interesting is all the dichotomy in it. Unrest, development, infighting, recovery, normalacy, what we consider a "normal" setting but with anything but "normal" conversation. Very very very interesting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file