Day after over-conditioning is my best hair day?!

I've accidentally over-conditioned my hair a few times since I went CG about six weeks ago. I have fine hair that is easily weighed down and I don't like a lot of products in my hair. I usually just use FSG and a dime size of LALSG to top it off. After over-conditioning I use my DC No-Poo and Jessicurl Aloeba conditioner. Then I just style as usual and diffuse and somehow my hair looks it's best after that. I do not want to have to over-condition and then no-poo all the time to achieve these results but I'm not sure how to do it without that happening. Any advice? Is this a symptom of a different hair problem?

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
:hockey:

Comments

• Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Looking at the ingredients, I'd say that the Aloeba is both too heavy, and not cleansing enough to use to cowash. It's also on the Jessicurl site as a moisturizer, not a cleansing product, which indicates to me that it would be better used as a rinse out conditioner. Additionally, fine hair typically likes a good amount of protein, as does high porosity hair. The Aloeba has very little protein present (the Hydrolyzed Oat Flour), which is likely a big part of why you're getting overconditioned.

Ideally a cowash conditioner should have fatty alcohols and cationic surfactants high up in the ingredients list. These are what help emulsify (dissolve) the oils on both scalp and hair. If you aren't seeing them in the first 5 ingredients (what make up the majority of a product), then they're present in minor amounts.

The Aloeba ingredients I'm finding are these, and I've bolded the surfactants /fatty alcohols (14th and 15th in the ingredients list): Water (Aqua) infused with Equisetum Maximum Lam (Horsetail), Mentha Piperita (Peppermint), Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary), Laurus Nobilis (Bay Leaf), Ocimum Basilicum (Basil), Arctium Lappa (Burdock Root), Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow Root), Origanum Vulgare (Oregano), Cymbopogon Flexuosus (Lemongrass), Thymus Vulgaris (Thyme), Salvia Officinalis (Sage) and Urtica Dioica (Nettle); Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Behentrimonium Methosulfate (and) Cetearyl Alcohol, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Hydrolyzed Oat Flour, Diazolidinyl Urea (and) Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate

Why do you dislike using the No Poo? It's not a sulfate free shampoo but more of a cleansing conditioner. Not everyone here cares for Deva's products, but if you're having your best hair days after using it, that's an indicator you might want to continue. No Poo doesn't have any harsh cleansers, so I wouldn't be afraid of using it as a staple cowash. It also has a fatty alcohol high up in the ingredients list, Cetyl Alcohol (1st ingredient after Water), so it's more likely to get your hair and scalp clean than the Aloeba.

My own hair is mostly fine, and especially during summer's high humidity, I can use protein in my cowash and rinse out, plus do a regular pt without drying it out.

I would suggest incorporating more protein into your wash day routine. Currently the only daily protein in your routine is a small amount in the Aloeba and a reasonable amount in your LALSG, but getting regularly overconditioned indicates you probably need more. I wouldn't rely on a styler for the bulk of my protein. Anyway, try some protein in your cowash and/or your rinse out. Sally's has Colorful Neutral Protein Filler, which is a liquid protein product you can add into your conditioners (or stylers) to increase the protein levels. You could grab that if you don't want to buy brand new products.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • mustangbunnymustangbunny Posts: 1,033Registered Users
    That makes sense, and is very helpful information, thank you!

I don't dislike the no-poo, I actually really like it but I was worried about using it all the time because I thought it might be too drying after awhile. I'm happy to hear that I can use it more often. I think I've been misunderstanding how to use some of my products. I use Aloeba as a rinse out usually, but I have tried it as a cowash with meh results. I have been meaning to get a new conditioner that had more protein in it, like Aubrey Organics protein condish. I've also been considering the Sally's protein filler . . . I might just do both because I have a lot of that Aloeba left but I can just cut back on using it and add the protein when I do use it.

Thanks so much!

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
    Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
    Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
    :hockey:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file