Brassiness

Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
My hair was colored a light brown/dark blonde, in more golden tones over the summer. I have since then used a Light Ash Brown color on top of it to match my roots, and bring me closer to my natural color.

Although the color isn't too far off, I can still see the root seperation b/c my roots are very ashy, and the colored hair is still very golden toned. When I first do the ash color, it looks fine, but then the golden tones always seem to come through.

Is this because I'm using permanent dyes that have peroxide in them? Would I be better off using a semi permanent like Natural Instincts that has no ammonia or peroxide? I'm wondering if deposit only color would hold the ash tone over the golden better, and if the use of a peroxide color is making the golden tone bleed through.

If that's not the case, I'm just going to have to go a shade darker than my natural color (which I really don't want to do) just to keep the gold tones out.
~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.

Comments

• ClaritaClarita Posts: 198Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm having the same problem with "brassiness", and posted a similar question titled "RC color advice" in this forum. I got some great advice so maybe reading the responses to my question might help you, too. :)
    Texture: Fine
    Porosity: Low
    Elasticity: Low
    Density: Medium/High...I think

~~Lots of Little S-Curls and Corkscrews~~
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    babywavy wrote:
    Is this because I'm using permanent dyes that have peroxide in them? Would I be better off using a semi permanent like Natural Instincts that has no ammonia or peroxide? I'm wondering if deposit only color would hold the ash tone over the golden better, and if the use of a peroxide color is making the golden tone bleed through.

If that's not the case, I'm just going to have to go a shade darker than my natural color (which I really don't want to do) just to keep the gold tones out.

Actually NI does have peroxide, about 5% I think. ? It can leave your hair brassy too. I speak from years of experience of using it. You may do better using Robert Craig's Color to cover the brassiness.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    CurliLocks wrote:
    babywavy wrote:

Actually NI does have peroxide, about 5% I think. ? It can leave your hair brassy too. I speak from years of experience of using it. You may do better using Robert Craig's Color to cover the brassiness.

Ugh, so irritating! I went to a beauty supply store in hopes of picking up a toner, but for some strange reason they didn't have any.

So, being totally irritated w/ my copper color, I went and picked up a Natural Match color in Medium Ash Brown. I knew it was going to be too dark, but that's the only way I'm going to be able to cover the golden tones.

Yes, it did dry out my hair as many people have said - and b/c my hair was pretty dry on the ends to begin with, the lower half of my hair is darker, and ashier then the hair closer to my roots! :roll:

Whatever. What can ya do. I'm sure it will lighten up a bit, and then I can work on growing out all color.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file