Is it inappropriate to not wear a bra to work?

virginbluevirginblue Registered Users Posts: 194
I've started to embrace letting my girls roam free and I'm wondering if this is inappropriate for the workplace. I'm only a 32A and I don't wear anything see-through or boob-a-licious to work so I'm wondering if it's an issue. They say nothing about undergarments in the dress code so I'm guessing it's ok. Any feedback?
2b//high porosity//fine texture//medium density//low elasticity//loves protein
Lo-poo: SMMR, SMC&S
Clarifying: VO5 shampoos
Co-wash: VO5 conditioners
RO: VO5 conditioners
Styling: AIF, FSG, gelatin gel, ecostyler krystal
PT: IAGirl's gelatin treatment

Comments

• The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    Seriously? Honey...
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    Are you a lady or a kid?

If you are a lady wear some upper body underwear.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Are you nipply? If so, then I would at least wear a cami. And no tight knits.
  • JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    Yes. I knew someone (and she was just naive) who wore non supportive and thin bras. You could see her nipples and her boobs although not saggy, clearly you could tell she had no bra. She was B. It's not professional.

If you work in an environment where flip flops and shorts are okay, then it's not as bad but you will get oogled at by the boys.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    What about a tank top or camisole with a built-in shelf bra? They're not tight and it doesn't feel the same as a regular bra and it will keep nipples from showing and no one will know you're not wearing a standard bra.
  • anonymous_150263anonymous_150263 Registered Users Posts: 773
    Professionally speaking I think it would be a bit tasteless.

Even if your small up top not wearing a bra will make them droop sooner. Wearing support will keep them firm and perky as long as possible.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    Speckla wrote: »
    What about a tank top or camisole with a built-in shelf bra? They're not tight and it doesn't feel the same as a regular bra and it will keep nipples from showing and no one will know you're not wearing a standard bra.

I agree.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
    I work with a woman (pushing 60) who thinks it's ok to not wear a bra to work. I'm here to tell you it isn't pretty (and imo totally inappropriate whatever the dress code).
    It's eight hours a day, you can go bra-less the other 16.
    3b in South Australia.
  • Who Me?Who Me? Registered Users Posts: 3,181
    If someone was going to anonymously and honestly describe you and your attire, would any information about your braless status be mentioned?

Essentially, if no one can tell then its fine. If people are ever thinking "she doesn't wear a bra" it's inappropriate for work.

That pretty much goes for all work attire questions I'd say. Wanna know if something's too short, low cut, etc? Just envision other people imagination describing your outfit...if you can see them mentioning it, it's inappropriate.

Note: this test has NOTHING to do with your actual coworkers, and how inappropriate they may be themselves. You should be thinking of imaginary, reasonable coworkers from a cross section of jobs.
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Registered Users Posts: 15,490 Curl Neophyte
    I agree with shelf bras's or at least thick tanks. I occasionally take mine off during night shifts when I am wearing something baggy or covered by a sweater and no one notices. I wear a bra or a tank with a shelf bra during the day shifts. God knows I want to throw it off and stomp on it 6 hours into a 12 hour shift, but I must suffer.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • scrillsscrills Registered Users Posts: 6,700
    One of my managers went braless once. We we are at an outing (Baseball game). It was not pretty

I like the suggestion of a tank with the built in bra.

I could NEVER go braless at work, but I'm not an A cup
  • JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    If you're only an A and perky, I would think you can get away with a tight tank. It depends on your shape.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    I rarely wear bras but I always wear a tight tank and looser fitting shirts or blouses or sweaters over it. I'm a perky B cup. No bouncing or nipples showing.
  • OBBOBB Registered Users Posts: 4,174 Curl Neophyte
    what if one is a professional stripper?
    OBB wrote: »
    what if one is a professional stripper?

Well you gotta have something to "strip"
  • LAwomanLAwoman Registered Users Posts: 2,949 Curl Neophyte
    Yes. Yes it is.
  • TRBLTRBL Registered Users Posts: 5,294 Curl Connoisseur
    Ask yourself if you want to be the reason hr adds a clause to the dress code regarding appropriate under garments.
    When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy

"Dispute not with her: she is lunatic." -Richard III
  • WintaWinta Registered Users Posts: 24
    I'd go with no. You will look tacky and unprofessional and I'm pretty sure other people in the office will start talking about you and not in a good way. I think I would feel some uncomfortable going without in front of people.
    I was always told by a very respected person, if you have to ask if its ok or appropriate then its probably a better idea not to do it.

Example: "is this to 'short, tight, or revealing' to wear to work?" Then you should probably just not wear it.

Its your job so you know how your expected to look. I wear scrubs to work so you think that would be easy, but I've seen girls given baggy OR scrubs to wear if their tops were too tight or too low cut. You don't want to risk being singled out or "counseled" about your lack of underwear. Why would you do anything to put yourself in a negative light and how does that look when you might be getting evals, raises, or promotions?
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    Yes, yes it is.

Frig reading posts too fast!
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    TRBL wrote: »
    Ask yourself if you want to be the reason hr adds a clause to the dress code regarding appropriate under garments.

This made me laugh.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • newseasonnewseason Registered Users Posts: 98
    Please wear a bra. Even if its a light one. Even small perky boob people need support and security. It is work. Now for ur personal activities and travels---u r free to do as u please. But for work, I would follow a more structured dress code, even in a laid back atmosphere. U represent the company so it may be an issue later.
  • celticscryercelticscryer Registered Users Posts: 44 Curl Neophyte
    No, it is not appropriate to go bra-less at work. If your employer has a written dress code, proper undergarments are implied.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    I have heard of a few employers specifying undergarments in their dress codes. But certainly all don't or even give a rip one way or another. I think you need to defer to the eyeball test here.

(Gosh, plenty of women on this board have stated they don't wear panties...and no one seemed to care. How is a bra on a woman w/ A cup sized breasts more of a requirement than drawers?! LOL And I once posted here about toothless ppl in the workplace not wearing their dentures and women w/ excessive facial hair not removing it...and the majority opinion was that these grooming habits need not be forced.)
    So don't wewear a bra, don't groom facial hair, skip the deodorant, probably can skip the oral hygiene as well. Just don't complain when you can't move up the career ladder or better yet they find a reason to demote you or fire you.

Proffesionalism and customer service barely exists anymore.
  • moodydovemoodydove Registered Users Posts: 1,721
    So don't wewear a bra, don't groom facial hair, skip the deodorant, probably can skip the oral hygiene as well. Just don't complain when you can't move up the career ladder or better yet they find a reason to demote you or fire you.

I definitely wouldn't put not removing facial hair or wearing a bra in the same category as not practicing oral hygiene or wearing deoderant. There is no hygiene-related reason for the first two. Especially facial hair.
    Big chop: 5/30/10
    CG, clarify with Aveda Brilliant Shampoo when needed
    Dense, medium-fine strands, lowish porosity. Avoiding glycerin outside the shower.
    Cowash:Suave Coconut Conditioner.
    Leave in: YtCucumbers and EVOO
    Styling Products: Flaxseed gel, Phillip B Soft Hold Gel, KMF Upper Management Gel
    DC: Doctored GVP or Suave conditioner
    Cleanser: Bentonite clay
  • Always@night[email protected] Registered Users Posts: 566 Curl Neophyte
    I don't think it's inappropriate, especially if you are small chested. I don't wear a bra everyday to work, no bouncing, or nipple showing happens. I don't think it's wrong either. Some women can get away with it unnoticed, some can't.
  • Always@night[email protected] Registered Users Posts: 566 Curl Neophyte
    moodydove wrote: »

I definitely wouldn't put not removing facial hair or wearing a bra in the same category as not practicing oral hygiene or wearing deoderant. There is no hygiene-related reason for the first two. Especially facial hair.

I agree.
    I wasnt putting anything in the same category, yall can do whatever yall want, I was just referring to professional presentation altogether.
  • moodydovemoodydove Registered Users Posts: 1,721

I wasnt putting anything in the same category, yall can do whatever yall want, I was just referring to professional presentation altogether.

You listed going braless and facial hair grooming alongside practicing oral hygiene and wearing deoderant. It seems that you *were* putting all of those things in the same category, maybe under a "professional presentation" umbrella.
    Big chop: 5/30/10
    CG, clarify with Aveda Brilliant Shampoo when needed
    Dense, medium-fine strands, lowish porosity. Avoiding glycerin outside the shower.
    Cowash:Suave Coconut Conditioner.
    Leave in: YtCucumbers and EVOO
    Styling Products: Flaxseed gel, Phillip B Soft Hold Gel, KMF Upper Management Gel
    DC: Doctored GVP or Suave conditioner
    Cleanser: Bentonite clay

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file