What am I doing wrong.

cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I am so stupid when it comes to make-up, so please forgive my ignorance.

I usually never wear foundation because, financially im limited to drug store brands and in my small town they didn't have a shade pale enough for my skin. Well finally they have one. and I went out excitedly bought the whole kit, foundation, powder and concealer. And the next morning, I washed my face, put a good lotion on and tried it, expecting flawless looking skin (or at least better). boy was I disappointed. I swear it seemed to magnify my flaws.

My problems, big pores on my nose and upper checks, and a few acne scars on my lower checks, under eye area a little dark but not too bad. My skin tone is pretty even I'd say, I feel like I just wasted my money.

so what am I doing wrong?

Comments

• mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    What kind of foundation was it? Maybe the color's right but the formula isn't.

For the large pores, maybe a primer would work. I heard about using Monistat chafing powder/gel here, I believe, and I must admit it works really well. A huge tube is only $7.99 and will last a long time.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I also have large pores in my nose, and foundations usually end up filling them and make them look like polka dots :oops: I'm guessing this is what happened to you?

Unfortunately, the solution I found is pretty damn expensive. But I've tried every other formulation, and this is the only foundation that doesn't give me a horrible polka-dot nose. It's the Water Canvas Creme-to-Powder foundation from Vincent Longo. It costs $52, but I just use it on my nose and under my eyes, so one compact lasts about a year. I use a drugstore-brand liquid foundation on the rest of my face. If they ever stop making this, I pretty much won't be able to wear foundation on my nose. It's very natural looking--between this and my liquid foundation, people are often surprised to hear that I'm wearing foundation at all. But the Water Canvas has very good coverage if you apply it properly. (It has some bad reviews on Makeup Alley from people who say it's too sheer, but I'm able to get medium-to-full coverage with it and don't understand this complaint.) With this foundation, you definitely get what you pay for.

I apply it with a foundation brush. Don't use a sponge, because it will soak up all the makeup. You can't use your fingers to apply this, since they won't pick up any of the foundation. Let it set for a few minutes before deciding whether or not to apply a little loose powder.

Its only pitfall is that it will dry out if you don't take care of it. You have to add a little bit of water to it before you close it, and then blot off the excess water when it's time to use it again.

It's not a drugstore brand, but it comes in very pale, natural shades. You can order it from Sephora: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P2685&categoryId=S10851&shouldPaginate=true

I have olive, medium-fair skin, and wear Bisque. I've also used Soft Amber, but it was a little too yellow for me.
  • three rivers curlythree rivers curly Posts: 994Registered Users
    I also have olive skin (light olive) and large pores. Honestly, I have given up on foundation and started using concealer where needed. I have less oil this way, my pores are 10x cleaner and my skin looks better. It took about 2 weeks for this all to happen, but if you can manage, it may be worth a try.
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

http://public.fotki.com/hmiklos
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Glad to see Im not the only one with this problem. The foundation I bought is, L'oreal true match in warm porcelin. the shade is perfect. But I do get the polka dots in the big pores, and it seems to accentuate my acne scars. I only choose the brand because it was the only one that matched at the store. Thanks for the product recs. I hate just doing the guessing game, nothing annoys me more then wasting money.
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    cympreni wrote:
    Glad to see Im not the only one with this problem.

Me, too :)

You could just not put foundation on your nose and upper cheeks. You'll have to make sure that it's well blended, though. You might want to thin it out a little by putting it on when your sunscreen isn't totally dry (sunscreen makes a great primer--I use the Aveeno one because it's effective, inexpensive, and works well under makeup). Just put a bit of the matching powder on your nose. It's possible that it would be noticeable under very bright light (including a camera flash), but I think that would work pretty well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file