Questions about detangling

CurlyvetteCurlyvette Registered Users Posts: 16
I have been natural (heat free) for 2 months and completely CG for 3 weeks. I have been detangling in the shower with loads of conditioner, finger combing, and then using The Wet Brush to comb the conditioner through and remove the last of my shed hairs. But I really believe that I am losing more hair than usual now. I have tried just finger combing and I'm still losing too much hair. Not too mention my showers take FOREVER! Are there any porous CGs out there that have experienced this? Does everyone shower detangle with no issues? Am I doing it wrong? I go from the bottom up and take a painfully long time doing it for fear of causing more breakage. My hair is 3b on the right and 3a on the left, medium texture.

Comments

• curlicious13curlicious13 Registered Users Posts: 1,632 Curl Neophyte
    Try using a denman brush. I use this in addition to using my fingers. With the denman brush I have minimal shedding & no breakage. Also beat in mind that we shed roughly about 100 hairs a daily. If you only detangle on wash day, you can experience quite a bit of shedding. To minimize breakage, I start detangling my hair at the ends gently/slowly & work my way to the roots. Doing this, I experience very little breakage.
  • sarahspinssarahspins Registered Users Posts: 20
    Not all conditioners are equal when it comes to slip and detangling. I've had a few that just didn't work for me, but I've also found that using a regular wide tooth comb works better for me than a "detangling" comb does... the detangling ones tend to just pull and snarl my hair and make the job harder than it should be.
    3a/2c natural redhead and I've been sulfate/cone free since 2006 :)
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    Curlyvette wrote: »
    I have been natural (heat free) for 2 months and completely CG for 3 weeks. I have been detangling in the shower with loads of conditioner, finger combing, and then using The Wet Brush to comb the conditioner through and remove the last of my shed hairs. But I really believe that I am losing more hair than usual now. I have tried just finger combing and I'm still losing too much hair. Not too mention my showers take FOREVER! Are there any porous CGs out there that have experienced this? Does everyone shower detangle with no issues? Am I doing it wrong? I go from the bottom up and take a painfully long time doing it for fear of causing more breakage. My hair is 3b on the right and 3a on the left, medium texture.

Welcome!

What were you doing before, flat ironing and dry brushing? If so you were probably shedding hair during the day, once you go curly more shed hairs are held on the head so they are all saved up for the shower. It might be worth drying out one hairball and examining it, if the hairs all have white bulbs they were dormant and ready to shed, if no bulb you have breakage.

As your hair gets healthier and you choose the right ingredients and products for your hair properties you should find there is less breakage and detangling is easier.
    The full Curly Girl method does not permit any brushing, fingers and really wide tooth comb only. I have heard of Tangle Teezer type brushes causing breakage.

Beneficial ingredients for damaged or porous hair include coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol. Limit the major humectants (eg. glycerin, propylene glycol) as these can make hair swell increasing tangling. Be sure you are using a silk or satin pillowcase or sleep cap plus 'pineapple' or loose braid to limit overnight tangles.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file