CurlTalk

Need help for my curly fiance!

smalesevsmalesev Posts: 33Registered Users
Hello, all! Hopefully, you gentleman can help me!

I have curly hair and frequent this site. I'm a 3A and have been CG for a few weeks.

My fiance also has curly hair. I'd say he's about a 3B, but it's hard to tell because he has SO MUCH FRIZZ! To the point where I just tell him to chop off his curls because he won't take care of them.

He won't wash with anything that's girly and colorful. I've offered for him to use my products, but he won't.

He's a wash and go person. No products. He wants to spend as little time in the shower as possible.

He's also very thin up top.

Right now, he just uses Head and Shoulders Hair Endurance 2-in-1.

I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions for him. Manly conditioner or shampoo, something! It has to be one step and be able to be found at walmart, though!

I know this is probably a hard request, but any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    smalesev wrote: »
    Hello, all! Hopefully, you gentleman can help me!

    I have curly hair and frequent this site. I'm a 3A and have been CG for a few weeks.

    My fiance also has curly hair. I'd say he's about a 3B, but it's hard to tell because he has SO MUCH FRIZZ! To the point where I just tell him to chop off his curls because he won't take care of them.

    He won't wash with anything that's girly and colorful. I've offered for him to use my products, but he won't.

    He's a wash and go person. No products. He wants to spend as little time in the shower as possible.

    He's also very thin up top.

    Right now, he just uses Head and Shoulders Hair Endurance 2-in-1.

    I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions for him. Manly conditioner or shampoo, something! It has to be one step and be able to be found at walmart, though!

    I know this is probably a hard request, but any help is greatly appreciated!

    Why is he using Head & Shoulders, does he have dandruff? If he is thinning he should be avoiding sulphate surfactants.

    There is nothing one step that will control frizz AFAIK, especially not if its damaged. Best thing you could do would be to get a rich cleansing conditioner than can also be used as a leave in, then have him wash with that, apply some to dripping hair and air dry.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

    CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • smalesevsmalesev Posts: 33Registered Users
    He has a little dandruff, but not much.

    I think a cleansing conditioner is an excellent idea!!! Any recommendations?? The only one I know of is the L'Oreal EverCurl cleaning conditioner
  • _Eva__Eva_ Posts: 87Registered Users
    smalesev wrote: »
    He won't wash with anything that's girly and colorful. I've offered for him to use my products, but he won't.

    If the packaging is the problem, why not simply change the packaging? You probably already thought of this, but you could get a clear container and put whatever you think will suit his hair in it.
    Hair type: 3b, normal porosity, medium texture

    co-wash and rinse out: Inecto coconut conditioner
    leave in: sHegron Aloe vera conditioner or Inecto coconut conditioner
    styler: L'Oreal gel / mousse

    Currently experimenting with home made flax seed gel (latest version with agave syrup and gelatine), home made protein treatments (latest version with gelatine and coconut oil)


    IHerb code: SGW867 (up to $10 off)
  • smalesevsmalesev Posts: 33Registered Users
    _Eva_ wrote: »
    smalesev wrote: »
    He won't wash with anything that's girly and colorful. I've offered for him to use my products, but he won't.

    If the packaging is the problem, why not simply change the packaging? You probably already thought of this, but you could get a clear container and put whatever you think will suit his hair in it.

    That's a really good idea!! I also spotted Suave Naturals Clarifying Conditioner. It's just a straight white. He just bought a new bottle of his head and shoulders (and won't buy anything else until it's gone) so maybe when he's done with that, I'll either get that for him, or I'll put some of my stuff in a clear bottle.

    Thanks for all your help!
  • _Eva__Eva_ Posts: 87Registered Users
    You might also want to teach him how to gently wash and dry his hair and not to brush or comb it while dry.
    Hair type: 3b, normal porosity, medium texture

    co-wash and rinse out: Inecto coconut conditioner
    leave in: sHegron Aloe vera conditioner or Inecto coconut conditioner
    styler: L'Oreal gel / mousse

    Currently experimenting with home made flax seed gel (latest version with agave syrup and gelatine), home made protein treatments (latest version with gelatine and coconut oil)


    IHerb code: SGW867 (up to $10 off)
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    smalesev wrote: »
    He has a little dandruff, but not much.

    I think a cleansing conditioner is an excellent idea!!! Any recommendations?? The only one I know of is the L'Oreal EverCurl cleaning conditioner

    Has he had the dandruff diagnosed and is it seborrhoeic dermatitis? If so the obvious solution for that and possible to help the thinning is Regenepure shampoo which contains ketoconazole and various growth ingredients but is sulphate free. However that is not one step. If the issue is not SD then Head & Shoulders is not only useless but potentially damaging, it's a very harsh line.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.regenepure.com%2Fcomplete-list-ingredients.html%2F" class="Popup

    Cleansing conditioners and dermatitis are not always the best of friends, you could worsen the issue on quitting sulphates (these make skin thinner, more easily irritated, thinner, destroy the protective skin flora). Most commercial products are loaded with potential irritants - from oleic rich oils to fragrance to preservatives. If he does have SD and you do go that route look for something with few ingredients but including tea tree oil.

    Also if you live together review your diet making it as anti inflammatory and nutrient dense as possible, this gives you the best chance of healthy growth, also can alter the amount and composition of the sebum, reduce systemic inflammation and strengthen the skin barrier. Particularly look at intake of oily fish, low sugar fruit, non starchy vegetables, sugar and white/ refined carbs. Inflammation is implicated in some forms of hair loss not just dermatitis.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

    CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect