CurlTalk

Is frizz free even possible?

Yesterday I watched the Curly Girl DVD. I was amazed at how good their hair looked. Absolutely no frizz at all!

Is that for real? Has anyone achieved a similar frizz free look for any prolonged period of time?
Hair type: 3b, normal porosity, medium texture

co-wash and rinse out: Inecto coconut conditioner
leave in: sHegron Aloe vera conditioner or Inecto coconut conditioner
styler: L'Oreal gel / mousse

Currently experimenting with home made flax seed gel (latest version with agave syrup and gelatine), home made protein treatments (latest version with gelatine and coconut oil)

IHerb code: SGW867 (up to $10 off)

Comments

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    There are a lot of variables, from your lifestyle to weather conditions to hair properties. The Devachan salons may well have a controlled environment, air conditioning maintaining a fixed temperature and humidity level. It probably helps having someone style you that can see 360 degrees of your head. Have you seen the before and after threads?

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/47609-post-your-before-after-cg-pics.html
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/112354-before-after-wavies.html
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • chloe92uschloe92us Posts: 1,203Registered Users
    I am frizz free until I step outside, touch my hair, put a shirt on, etc, lol. In my experience, it's unrealistic to have frizz FREE hair. I aim for minimal frizz.
    2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Salt & Pepper
    Cleanse: AIA cowash, TJ Tea Tree Condish
    Condish: JC Too Shea, Tresemme Botanique
    Stylers: flax/okra gel or KCCC + CJ PP or JC Spiralicious
    Experimenting with Got2B Ultra gel and loving it so far!
  • _Eva__Eva_ Posts: 87Registered Users
    There are a lot of variables, from your lifestyle to weather conditions to hair. The Devachan salons may well have a controlled environment, air conditioning maintaining a fixed temperature and humidity level.

Yes, that was what I was thinking exactly. It seems like an add and you never know what happens behind the screens. However... I did an internet search for pictures of Lorraine Massey and she just looks amazing in every single one of them.

That makes me wonder. In her book she does not mention things like dew point, porosity or coarse/fine at all. Still she has amazing hair. The fact that she does not mention these makes me think she doesn't regard them as important? Or am I wrong there?

Yes I did. I've seen really beautiful women with the most beautiful curls. I just wonder if people can maintain frizzfree hair for any prolonged period of time.

Currently experimenting with home made flax seed gel (latest version with agave syrup and gelatine), home made protein treatments (latest version with gelatine and coconut oil)

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    _Eva_ wrote: »
    There are a lot of variables, from your lifestyle to weather conditions to hair. The Devachan salons may well have a controlled environment, air conditioning maintaining a fixed temperature and humidity level.

Yes, that was what I was thinking exactly. It seems like an add and you never know what happens behind the screens. However... I did an internet search for pictures of Lorraine Massey and she just looks amazing in every single one of them.

That makes me wonder. In her book she does not mention things like dew point, porosity or coarse/fine at all. Still she has amazing hair. The fact that she does not mention these makes me think she doesn't regard them as important? Or am I wrong there?

Yes I did. I've seen really beautiful women with the most beautiful curls. I just wonder if people can maintain frizzfree hair for any prolonged period of time.

I think Lorraine Massey sees all curly hair as porous, which it is not. I imagine she does her hair shortly before most photos or videos are done, she might then be in a climate controlled salon or studio or car much of the time. Perhaps her hair clumps easily, naturally or perhaps it's because she's been styling and cutting her own hair this way so long she is really in tune with it.

Jessica McGuinty from Jessicurl always looks good too, both ladies have a strong and neat curl pattern. I often wonder if it's those at the extremes who struggle most - weak wavies, very dry, very low porosity for example. I haven't read it, but some of the regulars here prefer the Live Curly Live Free e-book to Curly Girl.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
    I'll have a look around for that e-book. Thanks for mentioning it!

I guess it gets easier the better you know what your hair is like and what it needs. I've just started, so I get kind of confused by how my hair is behaving lots of the time. But that's a whole different subject :D

Still I think it is wonderful to realize that it is possible in one way or the other to have beautiful curls. Even if they are climate controlled :D

• StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,677Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    I think maybe it is possible for some people (though few, I would imagine). I'm with Chloe on this one, I just aim for minimal frizz and I think my hair 'journey' got easier once I accepted that.
    3b in South Australia.
  • WavyRooWavyRoo Posts: 195Registered Users
    Hahaha- not for me! I finally have shine and definition...oh and frizz. Can't seem to get away from it:/
    2C normal/high porosity?, medium/coarse texture, lower density
    Cleanse: Pura D'Or every week or two, Yes to Cukes
    Conditioner: VO5 Kiwi Lime (LOVE!), Tresemme Naturals, YTC
    DT: GVP Conditioning Balm w/ coconut oil
    LI: a touch of JCTS
    Products: my HG is Tresemme Bouncy Curls Defining Gel mixed with a touch of BRHG over a little flax seed gel, SM Souflee/Milk for 2nd day hair, occasionally Bioterra Curling Creme and Gel
    Modified CG since November 2012- finally found what works! :)
  • CurlyGrey3CurlyGrey3 Posts: 508Registered Users
    WavyRoo wrote: »
    Hahaha- not for me! I finally have shine and definition...oh and frizz. Can't seem to get away from it:/

Me too!
    Salt & pepper wavy mix 2B/2C
    Low to normal porosity, coarse, kinky, normal elasticity
    Current favorites:
    Low poo: Yes To Cukes Color Protection (the no sulfate one)
    Conditioners: Renpure MPHIP, CJ Smoothing Lotion, AB LI, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan/Olive, Darcy's Pumpkin
    Style: FSG, BRHG
    Pre-poo/DT: Conditioner with honey & coconut oil

iHerb discount code: PNQ285
  • CurlyInTheFogCurlyInTheFog Posts: 876Registered Users
    You know what? Under normal, everyday circumstances, even straighties don't have frizz-free hair, or at least not perfectly smooth hair. I was getting really hung up on frizz, and then I started looking at all the heads of hair around me, and realized there was frizz on every single one of them. Even the most beautiful heads of hair had some level of frizz. So now I don't worry too much about being frizz and just try to keep the curls nice--if your curls look good, no one is really going to look at the frizz anyway.
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

Suave conditioner, LAL gel
    That is sooo true!

Since I learned about how to take care of my curls I started looking around how other people had their hair. Most do have frizz. Some have loads of frizz.

• hambo02hambo02 Posts: 480Registered Users
    i mean i have frizz when i step outside and its windy out. putting on a shirt. I just learned to deal with it.
  • smalesevsmalesev Posts: 33Registered Users
    I always have frizz. The only way I can get frizz-free (and not even completely) is if I put A TON of gel in my hair and don't SOTC. I prefer frizz to untouchable curls. As long as they have definition, I don't mind a little frizz :)
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users
    I found that if when styling my hair, that I don't pay or take my fingers thru my hair... No frizz. For me too much styling=frizz. So I can achieve frizz free hair as long as I use no humectants & gel.
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users
    But I'd rather frizzy hair to hard hair any day.
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Posts: 622Registered Users
    I can have frizz free days but I have no volume. If I want volume which I love that means a little frizz, but too me its too much frizz but to the average joe it's nothing. In fact, I get more compliments when my hair has more frizz. For me it is a very very delicate balance. One or two more scrunches and it's over!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo
    Co-wash: Suave, Vo5, HE, Aussie Moist
    Deep Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's)
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Coconut Oil, Almond Oil, Jojoba Oil.
    Methods: Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
  • sheilacurlsheilacurl Posts: 1,240Registered Users
    Mine looks pretty good until I step outside :sad5:

Yesterday I was having an icky hair day and someone actually said that I had nice hair, lol. I was going to go off on a tangent about what a frizzy mess it was but I stopped myself and accepted the compliment, as shocked as I was.

I obsess with the amount of frizz I have so much that I let it ruin my day sometimes. I need to take on the "minimal frizz is good" approach.

Great thread idea, by the way!
    Upper Michigan Dews
    3a ~ Fine ~ High Porosity ~ Normal Density

NoPoo: JC Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Outs: SS:PRT, CJ Repair Me, CJ Argan
    Detangler: KCKT
    Leave-in: CJ Repair me
    Stylers: UFDCM, BRHG
    Refreshers: Batiste (dry shampoo) on the roots & UFDCM everywhere else

iHerb Discount Code: SAF007

• BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Posts: 1,419Registered Users
    Lots of ladies twirl their hair to set it which reduces frizz because they are making perfect clumps.

I just can not be bothered.

My hair is naturally fuzzy. And that's ok. The curls that DO clump are AWESOME!! But someday that fuzz is going to give me some wickedly LARGE hair.

Can't wait. :D
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
  • JessiebananaJessiebanana Posts: 940Banned Users
    There is a certain amount of frizz (frizz being defined as unclumped hair) that just comes with 3c hair, but I think for my tighter curl pattern I can achieve pretty frizz free hair.

Now for my it's all in the styling. My hair doesn't change much from inside to outside. I can tell when my hair is wet how frizzy it will look later.
    3C/Fine to Medium/Low Porosity/High Density

:love5:MoistureMoistureMoisture:love5:

Low Poo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo
    RO/DC: DB Pumpkin Seed Curl Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: Queen Helene Sculpturing Gel & Glaze

No Salts, No Waxes, No Butters, No Heavy Oils
    No ACV, No Saponified Oils, Protein Sensitive
  • SuzyQ3SuzyQ3 Posts: 52Registered Users
    What gets me is that right after I've used some good styling products and let my hair air-dry, then loosen it up a bit, I have soft, fairly nice curls, although a bit bushy at the crown -- (3b/3c, with varied textures).

Then I go outside (beach town in SoCal) for a walk, and my hair not only frizzes but fuzzes and loses that softness.

I'm still looking for that product that will prevent this. Any ideas?
    Did you check your dew points and your products to see if these fit each other?

• SuzyQ3SuzyQ3 Posts: 52Registered Users
    Did you check your dew points and your products to see if these fit each other?

I've been looking at dew points only recently, but they didn't seem extreme at all. Today when I walked this morning, I think it was 58 or something. I had styled my hair Tuesday with CJ Curls in a Bottle and CURLS Goddess gel.

Later today I shampooed and used SM Smoothie with a little bit of SM souffle.

It just doesn't seem to matter. I end up with fuzz after a few hours.
  • JessiebananaJessiebanana Posts: 940Banned Users
    SoCal has moderate dews, but salty beach air will ruin your hair. I don't really know what you can do against it. I used to live in Redondo Beach. I think you just have to embrace the beach bum look. If you coated your hair in enough things the salt air might not be able to penetrate it.
    3C/Fine to Medium/Low Porosity/High Density

:love5:MoistureMoistureMoisture:love5:

Low Poo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo
    RO/DC: DB Pumpkin Seed Curl Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: Queen Helene Sculpturing Gel & Glaze

No Salts, No Waxes, No Butters, No Heavy Oils
    No ACV, No Saponified Oils, Protein Sensitive
    This is as near to frizz free as my hair has been:

Foto-Y6GJGTDO-1.jpg

The sides are best:

Foto-WHVRMPT8.jpg

It's near 5.30 pm here now, so I think this is a pretty good hair day.

I've noticed that I get less frizz using home made FSG than with any other styling product. That makes me kind of proud :D

I'd like to see other pictures of what you consider a good hair day!

WOW. Speechless! Beautiful! And, yes, my best days are with my homemade okra gel!
    Thanks! Do you have any pictures of a good hair day?

Okra gel sounds interesting! Okra is the vegetable right? I is only sold canned here, unless you go to a specialty shop. Can you make the gel with canned okra? Or only with fresh ones? What is your favorite recipe? And is there a big difference with FSG? And... and... I have tons of questions :D

Thanks! Do you have any pictures of a good hair day?

Okra gel sounds interesting! Okra is the vegetable right? I is only sold canned here, unless you go to a specialty shop. Can you make the gel with canned okra? Or only with fresh ones? What is your favorite recipe? And is there a big difference with FSG? And... and... I have tons of questions :D

Do you make your own FSG? If so, you just substitute the okra for the flax seeds, and boil it lower and much longer. I use frozen sliced okra, but it's readily available here. The main difference between the two is the okra gel is MUCH easier to make- they do the same goodness to your hair (I've made both and prefer okra).

Yes, I have lots of pics floating around this board:
    8978248791_9ebca49ce2_m.jpg

8978248831_305141f7e1_m.jpg
    Wow! I love your hair! So much volume and hardly any frizz at all!

Yes, I make the FSG myself. I must try the Okra gel some time. Sounds good!

• anonymous_150263anonymous_150263 Posts: 773Registered Users
    Why is okra gel easier to make than fsg? Does it keep better? Isn't it much more slimey?
    Why is okra gel easier to make than fsg? Does it keep better? Isn't it much more slimey?

It's easier to strain! ;)
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users
    I use Tweek as my final styling product, and find that it helps protect my curl definition very well.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008