CurlTalk

Using all-over boxed color for highlights?

lauraloolauraloo Posts: 2,121Registered Users
This may be a dumb question, but is it possible to use an all-over boxed hair dye to do at-home highlights using a cap and hook? I was thinking about it and I can't imagine that the dye is any different... I am trying to touch up my roots with blonde highlights but want to do it as gently as possible.

Is this a good idea? If so, any recommendations for gentle blonde boxed dyes?
Not all who wander are lost.

Fine and thin 3a. PW: curls

Comments

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    I don't see any fundamental reason why not but you may need to use a colour that contains ammonia - of course run strand tests. I use a weak ammonia free product because it's also silicone and sulphate free, but that to sometimes takes better at the roots than further down - I believe this is due to the heat of the head. I would have thought a cap would affect that.

Do be sure to dye right over coconut oil and/ or a hydrolysed protein treatment to protect from damage.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect