We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

DIY haircuts... tips and tricks (please share!)

wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,061Registered Users
Hello luscious curlies!

I know some of you DIYour own haircuts... please enlighten me with your techniques!

I will foray into this area in the upcoming year. I asked Tiff (LCLF) what she would recommend in terms of me cutting my own hair and she just said to look at how each piece falls and cut accordingly. Good advice, but big learning curve.

So what do you lovely ladies do? :occasion9:
2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
:angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646

Comments

• chloe92uschloe92us Posts: 1,203Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use the creaclip and a good quality hair scissor. There are tons of vids on YouTube, which is what I studied before taking on the challenge. It helps to have another person to do the back (my hubby is my assistant, lol). It's really easy and I've had great results!
    2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Salt & Pepper
    Cleanse: AIA cowash, TJ Tea Tree Condish
    Condish: JC Too Shea, Tresemme Botanique
    Stylers: flax/okra gel or KCCC + CJ PP or JC Spiralicious
    Experimenting with Got2B Ultra gel and loving it so far!
  • Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users
    It will differ greatly based on your length and what style you are wanting to cut.

My suggestion is do a LOT of research first. Watch videos of people cutting their own hair to create your plan of attack, and of people cutting other's hair to gain an understanding of hair cutting in general.

This was very helpful to me:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hairfinder.com%2Fhowto%2Fcuttinghair.htm" class="Popup

Basically I cut my length with my hair wet and combed down. Then I'll lift the crown, trim that layer where I want it to be, then go back and set the rest of the layers based on that. Then I even up the face framing area, and trim my bangs.

Then I rewet, style, and dry. After its dry and I've SOTC, I will go back and snip individual curls and even things up based off my curl pattern.

Again, your length and your curl pattern are going to greatly effect your "technique" and game plan for cutting your hair! This is just what works for me!

I actually really want a creaclip, but I would just use it to hold the section I'm cutting, not for an all at once cut, I don't think.
    2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
    clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
    Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
    RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
    LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
    Seal - MO or Jojoba
    DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
    Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing
  • JessMessJessMess Posts: 151Registered Users
    Jessica
    Type 2c: coarse, high-density, low porosity (so it would seem)
    Avoiding protein and glycerin; going for soft, non-crunchy, frizz-free waves
    CO & RO: Tresemme Naturals Moisture
    Sealer: Olive oil
    Leave-in/Styler: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    DT: olive oil and honey
    Jessica
    Before the creaclip, I chopped using the ponytail method. It worked, but I was really scared so only cut it to shoulder length. Then I watched a million vids on youtube on how to do an A-line bob with the creaclip, bought it, and voila!
    I didn't even know about that creaclip. Looks cool! Same concept as ponytail but probably easier to cut and probably more evenly distributed layers.
    Jessica
    JessMess wrote: »
    I didn't even know about that creaclip. Looks cool! Same concept as ponytail but probably easier to cut and probably more evenly distributed layers.

The concept is really about the same- but the clip makes it a little more precise...
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,061Registered Users
    Thank you for your responses!

Actually I should have specified: I'm just looking to keep up with my BSL basically long-layers cut. Rounded in the back, not in a V. Not looking for anything too fancy (I wouldn't trust myself). Still transitioning from a thinned-out haircut with scraggly ends that won't curl. :(

The pony tail method looks easy... but isn't that what we're not supposed to do? As in, you won't be cutting each individual curl/wave but doing it straight across.

How do you add layers with the creaclip? I've only seen it straight-across!
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:

Neutral on cones.

With both ponytail and clip, the idea is that when you pull it straight UP, the curve of your own head gives you layers once you let it back down. In that link I sent, DIY #1 (which is the easiest!) would give you long layers. :)
    Jessica
    Use scissors, not a razor like most of these vids show!

This would be a layered cut:

How to cut Layered hairstyle and bangs - YouTube

This is how I do my A-line bob:

How to cut a Layered A-Line BOB and Side Bangs Hairstyle - YouTube

This would be how to do face-framing layers:

How to cut all LAYERS tutorial - Medium to Long layered hairstyles - YouTube
    Okay looks like I have a lot of reading and watching to do!

I think I'm going to use either the creaclip or the ponytail method to create a "base" for my haircut (maybe short layers), and then cut individual pieces/waves/curls depending on how they fall.

Thanks for the info!

Currently using:

Neutral on cones.

Oh one more question... what do you recommend in terms of scissors?

Currently using:

Neutral on cones.

The assymetrical layers are so cute! But alas the model has straight hair; I'm not sure it would work on my head.

Currently using:

Neutral on cones.

My scissors are by Tweezerman (since I have an intimate relationship with my tweezers from this company- they're the best!- I thought I would support them with another product).

I purchased mine at CVS or Walgreens, though.

Stainless 2000 High Performance Styling Shears | Tweezerman
    I just use regular scissors, honestly, though I know it's not the best choice. I have kids, and scissors are never in the same place twice around here.
    Jessica
  • Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users
    I bought scissors at Sally's
    2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
    clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
    Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
    RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
    LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
    Seal - MO or Jojoba
    DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
    Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing
  • heyhoheyho Posts: 55Registered Users
    I've been thinking about this recently too. I've just attempted to revive a thread about DIY haircuts on the 2 board, as it looks like it was really helpful at the time it was posted. Darn me, getting there 2 years too late.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/127726-hair-cutting-updated-video.html

JessMess, is this the haircut you have in your avatar (which I like!)?
    Yuppers! Though I cut the back up a bit higher than is shown in the pics on that site--so, basically, the layers are somewhat less exaggerated. I also added a little bit of the face-framing technique, but just with a small portion of the hair near the front.

I should note that my hair is REALLY thick and dense, so I have a VERY wide margin for error. For those who have finer and less dense hair, please take my "fail-safe" comments with a grain of salt and proceed slowly! :):
    Jessica
    heyho wrote: »
    I've been thinking about this recently too. I've just attempted to revive a thread about DIY haircuts on the 2 board, as it looks like it was really helpful at the time it was posted. Darn me, getting there 2 years too late.

Oh no but there's no link to the video or drawings?

Currently using:

Neutral on cones.

• anonymous_133347anonymous_133347 Posts: 1,426Registered Users
    Wavydaze, do you have the CG handbook with the directions to trim your own hair? If not let me know and I'll type out a summary for you. If you can't find that info elsewhere.
    3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
    Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
    Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
    Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG

Yuppers! Though I cut the back up a bit higher than is shown in the pics on that site--so, basically, the layers are somewhat less exaggerated. I also added a little bit of the face-framing technique, but just with a small portion of the hair near the front.

I should note that my hair is REALLY thick and dense, so I have a VERY wide margin for error. For those who have finer and less dense hair, please take my "fail-safe" comments with a grain of salt and proceed slowly! :):

Thanks for the extra info! When you say you cut the back up a bit higher, do you mean you cut more hair off from both the nape and crown ponytails than shown in the pics on that site, or is it that you form the ponytails higher up the head?

My hair is probably medium-high density, so I have some margin for error. I've done some DIY haircutting in the past (pre-CG), so I'm okay with making mistakes :lol:
    wavydaze wrote: »

Oh no but there's no link to the video or drawings?

There's a link to the video, but it's no longer available, sadly. No diagrams left up either. Ah well!

Thanks for the extra info! When you say you cut the back up a bit higher, do you mean you cut more hair off from both the nape and crown ponytails than shown in the pics on that site, or is it that you form the ponytails higher up the head?

My hair is probably medium-high density, so I have some margin for error. I've done some DIY haircutting in the past (pre-CG), so I'm okay with making mistakes :lol:

The back ponytail itself was still right at the nape, I just mean I cut the ponytail up a little shorter than is shown in that site --so, let's see, how can I describe this--I cut the back ponytail just a bit below that first bumpy vertebra on my back. It may not technically be the first vertebra--what do I know--but you know what I mean, it's that one right where your neck joins your shoulders. You may find that you need to even out the nape just a little bit afterward.

The crown ponytail was done just as shown, and I just cut off about an inch at a time, so there's no risk of overdoing it. Sometimes I go back like the next day and cut off a little more. For the top ponytail, I usually take a second ponytail holder and then slide it up right to where I want to cut; just makes it easier to hold it all together. Some hair won't reach that far, and that's fine.

Hope that helps! Good luck!
    Jessica

The back ponytail itself was still right at the nape, I just mean I cut the ponytail up a little shorter than is shown in that site --so, let's see, how can I describe this--I cut the back ponytail just a bit below that first bumpy vertebra on my back. It may not technically be the first vertebra--what do I know--but you know what I mean, it's that one right where your neck joins your shoulders. You may find that you need to even out the nape just a little bit afterward.

The crown ponytail was done just as shown, and I just cut off about an inch at a time, so there's no risk of overdoing it. Sometimes I go back like the next day and cut off a little more. For the top ponytail, I usually take a second ponytail holder and then slide it up right to where I want to cut; just makes it easier to hold it all together. Some hair won't reach that far, and that's fine.

That's really great, thanks so much for the details!
    Ok I just reread the CG handbook on trimming... thanks for the reminder Dusa!

Soooo I have a stupid question. When you cut your hair, do you have any product in it? Gel, leave-in or does it have to be completely nekkid?

Also, this might be only a wavy problem, and a fine-haired wavy problem... but my hair can shrink and release very seriously. As in one day I'll have some botticelli curls and spirals (that can shrink to half their size), but my hair can stretch very very easily to be 2a/b. So how do I cut that? If I cut it while it's more curly would it just look weird when its stretched and vice versa?

Currently using:

Neutral on cones.

I tend to cut when I get really fed up with it, and that's usually like second or third day after washing. So it's dry, and it has whatever product has accumulated in it over time.

I brush it (I know! The horror!) to get it smoothly up into the ponytail holder, and then I brush the pony, so that makes it more or less straight when I cut it. I haven't noticed that my waves look particularly weird afterward. For me, the effect of this haircut is sort of an overall rounded bob, waves evenly distributed throughout--no sharp layers.

If you're nervous about it, just start by only cutting like an inch off the ponies. Your hair is long, so even if you think it looks freakish, you could just get yourself to a professional and get it fixed up without losing much length. And if you like it, just repeat the next day. :thumbup:
    Jessica
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I go by the instructions, illustrations, and video in Curly Girl: The Handbook, which you can get from CurlMart or Amazon.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008

Well, my hair finally grew to the point where I thought "I actually don't like it this long!". So I cut a long shlob and also used the howtohairgirl weight removing technique for curly/wavy hair (with some trepidation and my SO's help). And... I love this haircut!! It's so simple but so perfect for my big wavy hair. It's just the right balance of messy and styled. So happy with it. Thanks again JessMess :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file