CurlTalk

I think I may need a "low poo"

I think I may need a "low poo" once a week, since I do use a lot of oils on my hair. I used my kids aveeno head to toe wash to do a lather, rinse, repeat last night. It doesn't have sodiun lauraly sulfate in it but it did leave my hair very tangled and dry feeling. I did a deep conditioning treatment afterwards after with lots of coconut oil mixed in with my tresseme natural conditioner. I rinsed it out and let it dry overnight and this morning with no other product my hair is incredibly soft.

So I need some "low poo" suggestions for once weekly clarifying. My hair is coarse, thick, dense with 3A to 3B curls and I think medium to high porosity. I live in florida wich means hot and humid so high dewpoint I believe.

I am avoiding proteins and high humectants at the moment if that helps with suggestions. Although I suppose with a shampoo it mostly washes out so may not be as big of an issue.

Comments

• okyouwinokyouwin Posts: 157Registered Users
    I've been using the Organix shampoos about once a week. I like the mint one. I forget its official name but it's in a green bottle. It doesn't strip my hair but it has C-14 (I think that's what it is anyway) in it that is supposedly harsh on the hair. So far I have no problem with it.
    I'm going to go ahead and say 3a
    fine/medium texture and a bit porous-I color
    Spring routine: Renpure luxurious argan oil shampoo/Loreal Advanced Care Color conditioner , HETT gel
    Microfiber towel/diffuse
    Trying KKCC
  • anonymous_150263anonymous_150263 Posts: 773Registered Users
    Organix stuff was absolute murder to my hair. Smells nice though!

Plus I think their shampoos have silicones?
  • okyouwinokyouwin Posts: 157Registered Users
    Yes they do have a silicone but I don't stress about it. I've heard good things about the Shea Moisture shampoos...
    I'm going to go ahead and say 3a
    fine/medium texture and a bit porous-I color
    Spring routine: Renpure luxurious argan oil shampoo/Loreal Advanced Care Color conditioner , HETT gel
    Microfiber towel/diffuse
    Trying KKCC
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    I think I may need a "low poo" once a week, since I do use a lot of oils on my hair. I used my kids aveeno head to toe wash to do a lather, rinse, repeat last night. It doesn't have sodiun lauraly sulfate in it but it did leave my hair very tangled and dry feeling. I did a deep conditioning treatment afterwards after with lots of coconut oil mixed in with my tresseme natural conditioner. I rinsed it out and let it dry overnight and this morning with no other product my hair is incredibly soft.

So I need some "low poo" suggestions for once weekly clarifying. My hair is coarse, thick, dense with 3A to 3B curls and I think medium to high porosity. I live in florida wich means hot and humid so high dewpoint I believe.

I am avoiding proteins and high humectants at the moment if that helps with suggestions. Although I suppose with a shampoo it mostly washes out so may not be as big of an issue.

Conditioner shifts oils really well providing you use the right product (lightweight/ silicone and oil free), plenty of product, plenty of massage so you work up a light 'lather', maybe a soak, maybe repeat.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • CurlyGrey3CurlyGrey3 Posts: 508Registered Users
    I like to low-poo once per week, right before my weekly DT. I use the Curl Junkie Gentle Cleansing shampoo and I've also used the Renpure Argan Oil Shampoo.
    Salt & pepper wavy mix 2B/2C
    Low to normal porosity, coarse, kinky, normal elasticity
    Current favorites:
    Low poo: Yes To Cukes Color Protection (the no sulfate one)
    Conditioners: Renpure MPHIP, CJ Smoothing Lotion, AB LI, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan/Olive, Darcy's Pumpkin
    Style: FSG, BRHG
    Pre-poo/DT: Conditioner with honey & coconut oil

iHerb discount code: PNQ285
  • anonymous_150263anonymous_150263 Posts: 773Registered Users
    Thanks for the suggestions. I know I don't "need" it but I do love the fesh just shampood clean feeling

I actually used a little bit of my organic African shae butter soap last night. Its a bar soap and it left my hair soft and silky before even adding conditioner! I was amazed.
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,061Registered Users
    For most, I'd say having a low-poo around is a good idea. It's still considered part of the CG method.

I'm liking the Alba B Gentle Shampoo a lot. Otherwise I liked the SM Coconut/Hibiscus shampoo (but maybe this isn't want you want if you want something a bit more "clarifying" while still being gentle) and the Giovanni poos, look into the G 50:50 (drugstore). I know YesToCucumbers is well-liked around here (also drugstore).
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646