CurlTalk

How often do you wash your hair?

BeautyisMireeBeautyisMiree Posts: 202Registered Users
I do protective styling and used to co-wash my hair every two weeks, but never noticed any growth.

I did this because I would get product build up or my hair wouldn't get moisture. Also I didn't have time to take a day or two off just to do my hair.

It took me a while to finally realize why this kept happening and I decided to go a month without wash my hair and I did notice some improvement. I'm just wondering if its a bad thing and with me not washing my hair for a month I noticed I had product build up and such but it was the amount I get in 2 weeks time.

Comments

• KynnibKynnib Posts: 999Registered Users
    i wash once a week
    4a hair. MOD CG routine.

Present Loves
    -Back on the (rajasthani) henna train! My hair is so much better now.
    -KBB hair butter mixed with Hairveda Cocasta oil
    -Spiral Solutions Deeply Decadent
  • tabbysuetabbysue Posts: 122Registered Users
    I cowash everyday (I have a mini TWA) since my hair is fine and i will get an itchy scalp from buildup. I only shampoo when I'm changing over to a new product.
    Shampoo: TJ Tea Tree Tingle (only to remove buildup)
    Co-wash/Detangler: Suave Naturals Conditioner
    Leave-in/Styler: Uncle Funky's Curly Magic
    2nd day refresher: Uncle Funky's Thirsty Curls
    Routine: Wash and Go
    Porosity: Normal-High
    Texture: Fine/Thin and Kinky
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    I do protective styling and used to co-wash my hair every two weeks, but never noticed any growth.

I did this because I would get product build up or my hair wouldn't get moisture. Also I didn't have time to take a day or two off just to do my hair.

It took me a while to finally realize why this kept happening and I decided to go a month without wash my hair and I did notice some improvement. I'm just wondering if its a bad thing and with me not washing my hair for a month I noticed I had product build up and such but it was the amount I get in 2 weeks time.

Sounds like your issue might be the products you're using in your hair. Some ingredients build up quicker than others and I personally have never had a conditioner that did a good job of removing buildup from my hair. even so called clarifying conditioners. If your hair doesn't seem to be growing it's probably breaking and the culprit could possibly be lack of moisture. buildup will lead to a lack of moisture. when was the last time you clarified your hair?
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • BeautyisMireeBeautyisMiree Posts: 202Registered Users
    adthomas wrote: »

Sounds like your issue might be the products you're using in your hair. Some ingredients build up quicker than others and I personally have never had a conditioner that did a good job of removing buildup from my hair. even so called clarifying conditioners. If your hair doesn't seem to be growing it's probably breaking and the culprit could possibly be lack of moisture. buildup will lead to a lack of moisture. when was the last time you clarified your hair?

No it's not the products because I still use the products and I don't have much build up now. It's just that I didn't moisture my hair properly.

I guess my hair was growing during the times it's just that I didn't notice the growth because when I younger I would see the growth but that's because I didn't wash my hair for a good 3 months due to it being straighten.
    My hair is doing better now that I'm moisturizing it properly and I only asked this question because my friends say the wash their hair everyday or once a week. None of them wash their hair once a month.

I won't be co washing my hair unless I have an important event to go tooz
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    Ok. Still may or may not be a product issue if you are not CG. If I use silicone conditioner I am all good but since I cowash often like every 3 or 4 days the second time I use silicones is when I have the buildup problems because Im putting silicones on top of silicones. It could be because you wait later to wash it isnt until then you see buildup. Just a theory. Im glad you found what works. But three months is a really long time not to wash part of your body. My cousin and a few other people I know do that and to be honest their hair has a sour smell. I have never told them though. a month I think can work for some people. If length is your goal You might try Teatree on your scalp because a clean scalp is important for growth.

No it's not the products because I still use the products and I don't have much build up now. It's just that I didn't moisture my hair properly.

I guess my hair was growing during the times it's just that I didn't notice the growth because when I younger I would see the growth but that's because I didn't wash my hair for a good 3 months due to it being straighten.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
    Ok. Still may or may not be a product issue if you are not CG. If I use silicone conditioner I am all good but since I cowash often like every 3 or 4 days the second time I use silicones is when I have the buildup problems because Im putting silicones on top of silicones. It could be because you wait later to wash it isnt until then you see buildup. Just a theory. Im glad you found what works. But three months is a really long time not to wash part of your body. My cousin and a few other people I know do that and to be honest their hair has a sour smell. I have never told them though. a month I think can work for some people. If length is your goal You might try Teatree on your scalp because a clean scalp is important for growth.

My hair can last a while without being washed, I'm just happy that my hair is growing because it used to be in the in-between stage for years.
  • anissafersureanissafersure Posts: 255Registered Users
    I wash my hair once a week. I could go a lot longer (like 2 to 3 weeks) but I don't because my hair gets frizzy after a week. Plus, I love the clean feeling I get after washing my hair.
  • Always@nightAlways@night Posts: 566Registered Users
    Sometime once a week, sometimes twice a month, sometimes once a month.
    It really just depends if I use a gel and get buildup. I haven't been using gel so i've only been washing with shampoo, twice a month.
    I no longer co wash.
  • anonymous_135568anonymous_135568 Posts: 23Registered Users
    I shampoo once a month and cowash in between, as needed. I pretty much live in braids, so I only shampoo when it is time to take down and braid again.
  • sKorpio1190sKorpio1190 Posts: 1,862Registered Users
    Daily

-normal porosity/texture/elasticity-
    Medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity :shock:
  • NaeShelleNaeShelle Posts: 49Registered Users
    I aim for once a week but am lucky to hit twice a month. I'm just always so busy that I usually just end up wearing my hair out and being done with it. I am finding that my dandruff is getting worse so I'm trying to do a protective style challenge to kind of build my hair's health back up, and that includes washing almost twice a week.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    December 21, 2011 - Last Relaxer
    April 1, 2012 - Transitioning Began
    March 30, 2013 - Big Chopped

High Density. Medium-Low Porosity. Kinky. Shoulder Length.

*Excuse my Texas.
  • NorthernNaturalNorthernNatural Posts: 8Registered Users
    I've just started a bunning challlenge so am aiming for once a week just to be sure I don't get too much aloe vera gel build-up.
    Up until this point I think I washed every fortnight or so, I just went by when my hair felt too..."producty". :geek:
    Come drop by my blog and say hi! :wave::wav:

British Curly! :toothy2: :afro:
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users
    i wash my hair daily. build up on my scalp creates more issues for me. co-washing only didn't work for me.
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ReekyReeky Posts: 1,323Registered Users
    Every 4-6 days. I shampoo primarily (using a shampoo bar, very gentle) my scalp mainly, and ill lather my hair if I have more buildup. In between shampoo days ill cowash but thats more to refresh & moisturize my hair (length) and its only as needed. My hair does better if I rinse and apply product to clean hair than if I add product to dry dirty hair to moisturize. Buildup is a big contributor to dryness and I also have oily scalp so cowashing only doesnt work for me.

If youre sure its not your products causing buildup another thing to consider is how youre handling your hair when you wash & manipulate it. If youre doing everything exactly the same and the only change is that youre manipulating less (by washing once a month) and seeing more growth it could be that you are breaking/weakening your hair when you wash & style it. Just a thought.
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • xoZoeyxoxoZoeyxo Posts: 7Registered Users
    I wash my hair twice a week. My hair can go 4-5 days.
  • 1FlySista1FlySista Posts: 14Registered Users
    I shampoo twice a month. If my hair needs a wash in between that time, I will co-wash. I clarify every 8 weeks.
  • fefe912fefe912 Posts: 570Registered Users
    I co-wash my hair a few times out of the week and wash my hair with shampoo once a week or every 2 weeks depending on what I put in my hair. I haven't had any product build up since going natural by doing this.
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users
    I too cowash a few times out of the week & shampoo either every week or every other week. I don't have any build up.
  • ImStarJacksImStarJacks Posts: 26Registered Users
    I too cowash a few times out of the week & shampoo either every week or every other week. I don't have any build up.

I co-wash 2-3 times a week. I shampoo every other week with a no-poo and once every 6 weeks with elucence moisture balance. To be honest, I do not get a lot of build up. The only reason I shampoo/no-poo is because I work out a lot and I use shea butter and oils on my hair daily so I know at some point my hair would enjoy a cleanse.
    Big Chop: 9/2013
    Hair Type: 4a
    Current Length: 1/2"
    Goals: Love my hair & Let it Grow

event.png
  • BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Posts: 1,419Registered Users
    I shampoo once a month and cowash weekly or as needed.
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I currently have a short cut so I co-wash daily or every other day with the intent to clarify bi-weekly. Previously, when my hair was longer, I would wash my hair with a sulfate free shampoo on the weekend and occasionally co-wash mid week.
  • AuroraE95AuroraE95 Posts: 124Registered Users
    Twice a week, I shampoo once and co wash once
    Inspiration [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]SOPHINA BROWN

Currently: grazing bsl straight
    Would love to be MBL straight by the end of 2014
    MY ULTIMATE GOAL: HEALTHY (almost)BRA STRAP LENGTH CURLS
    Don't know how long that would be straight lol
  • nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
    I shampoo once a week.

I co-wash almost daily because I don't really like my second day hair (no definition, just looks like a frizzball of undefined curls).
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro: