another newbie. where to start?

TheDivaDanielleTheDivaDanielle Registered Users Posts: 1
So to start, hello! I'm Danielle and I've recently converted to being a curly girl.

I always had fairly straight hair with only the slightest curl. Then around 27 it all changed. I became a curly girl. It seemed like I could no longer flat iron my hair into submission anymore. I actually went out and got all new products and a flat iron because I thought it was defective. So I started to embrace it.

Before: This is how it typically was. The color also changed regularly.
376064_10150471841277953_654308444_n.jpg

So starting last year I started to dabble in letting it be, and then late last year took the "permanant" dip to being a curly girl, with only the occasional day of flat ironing.
results after doing CG: (This was a good day, but as you can see the back really went for it, but the top, not as much, and my bangs were unworkable any other way.) I think this made me a 2B?????
285669_10151542901697953_1024294814_n.jpg
318159_10151542901647953_1672756781_n.jpg

I recently changed the color again, or more accurately stripped out the old black and tried a gradient. It actually didn't look bad. But last weekend at the stylist, I decided to throw caution to the wind and amp up the curls with a perm. I think I'm a solid 3A now or better. I was also shocked how much length I lost just to coiling, it was about 1/2" at most from being bra strap level in back before I went in.

My general understand is that you should only color at least two weeks after a perm. So I think I'm going to go back to my trademark black. either that or a darker intense brown. Obviously the ends are saturated to the point that changing their color is going to be darn hard, so I'm going to stick with something darker, or at least tone down the color gradient.

So this is what I have now:
1079051_10151826323007953_403346671_o.jpg

I've been using Deva Curl for a while. No Poo, One condition and the gel that generally comes with their packs, but I'm thinking about changing to a general $3-4 dollar bottle of gel, as I think I might be throwing money away.

I know I'm no longer "Natually Curly", but I really wanted to amp it up. Do I need to change up my method at all with permed hair, or can anyone give me any other tips?

I've realized with my size and style that some sort of curls really suit me and I feel really plain, no matter how much makeup is on now with straight hair.

Also I'm curious how I can achieve the sort of "huge" volume that my sisters of a darker persuasion are blessed with?

I am half hispanic, and I noticed right away the that perm seemed to compliment my features that lean to the latin side, and I want to fully embrace it!

Comments

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    Welcome!

Both perming and permanent dying are damaging to hair, and repeat chemical treating or doubling/ tripling up is the highest risk. More so since you are chemical treating on top of heat damaged hair. IMO switch to a roots only colour application and/ or start using only semi permanent dyes on your lengths. It doesn't take much to tip over from an acceptable level of damage to fried, and at that point hair can go straight - even with a perm - because the protein core is so damaged.

Beneficial ingredients for damaged or chemical treated hair include hydrolysed protein, coconut oil, ceramides and panthenol. Hydrolysed protein can also give volume and bounce if it suits your hair properties (see the Live Curly Live Free site).

Volume is partly about how much hair your have, how coarse it is and what products you use and how your style. You might find as your hair gets healthier as you reduce the colouring and heat styling you have less breakage and so more hair - also growing out your bangs should make them curl better and give you more hair to play with. Doing everything upside down from washing to diffuser drying helps with volume, as does root clipping (see YouTube for the different techniques).
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file