Will striaghtening runin my curls?

KaelaMoeKaelaMoe Registered Users Posts: 11
Hi im 14, and school is right around the corner and ive been strongly considering not wearing it curly the first few weeks. Im afriad i will have damaged hair even when i use heat protector on my hair. Im 3c but the crown of my head is a 3b hardly any springy curls and very loose. If i straighten and then wash again it will be striaght and no curls. Please help.

Comments

• RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,814 Curl Neophyte
    Unfortunately straightening even with a heat protector still causes damage. I don't know the exact extent of the damage because I haven't straightened in years and didn't have a heat protector then. In high school I straightened regularly for quite some time. It really dried out my hair and did do some damage with split ends and lots of broken strands. Eventually I just gave up and learned to work with it curly and keeping it healthy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CurlTalk App
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Registered Users Posts: 1,632 Curl Neophyte
    I straightened my hair regularly & my hair was dry. Now the hair in the front is damaged & won't curl. But after a trim & some T.L.C., my curls are starting to come back. If you want to wear your hair curly, you can't straighten. Straightening will set you back.
  • KaelaMoeKaelaMoe Registered Users Posts: 11
    Unfortunately straightening even with a heat protector still causes damage. I don't know the exact extent of the damage because I haven't straightened in years and didn't have a heat protector then. In high school I straightened regularly for quite some time. It really dried out my hair and did do some damage with split ends and lots of broken strands. Eventually I just gave up and learned to work with it curly and keeping it healthy.

What about a roller set?
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,814 Curl Neophyte
    Not sure about a roller set. Never tried that. At least not with hot rollers. When I was a kid my mom used to put these pink sponge rollers in my hair (I was not curly then like I am now...puberty apparently changed that. Lol!). I would think any heat would be damaging but I use a diffuser so I imagine that causes damage too.

Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
  • JohariJohari Registered Users Posts: 673
    As long as you deep condition and don't flat iron frequently you should be fine.

What I realized is that when I do my own hair my curls aren't as damaged and loose as going to a salon.

Sent from my C5155 using CurlTalk App
  • BeautyisMireeBeautyisMiree Registered Users Posts: 202 Curl Neophyte
    KaelaMoe wrote: »
    Hi im 14, and school is right around the corner and ive been strongly considering not wearing it curly the first few weeks. Im afriad i will have damaged hair even when i use heat protector on my hair. Im 3c but the crown of my head is a 3b hardly any springy curls and very loose. If i straighten and then wash again it will be striaght and no curls. Please help.

NO, straightening your hair will not cause any heat damage. I say the night before you straighten your hair deep condition is for about a hour and 15 minutes or all night if you want. Apply your heat protectant and flat iron away. Don't put it on the highest heat your flat iron can go.

Flat iron will not damage your hair in any kind of way unless you're doing something wrong to your hair.
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur

NO, straightening your hair will not cause any heat damage. I say the night before you straighten your hair deep condition is for about a hour and 15 minutes or all night if you want. Apply your heat protectant and flat iron away. Don't put it on the highest heat your flat iron can go.

Flat iron will not damage your hair in any kind of way unless you're doing something wrong to your hair.

Unless you know of a flat iron that works at under 165 degrees Fahrenheit, this statement is absolutely not true. Temps over this point have been proven to cause damage to hair, with or without a heat protectant. I'm not saying that occasionally straightening your hair is going to completely destroy it, but invisible damage is still damage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
    Corrina777 wrote: »

Unless you know of a flat iron that works at under 165 degrees Fahrenheit, this statement is absolutely not true. Temps over this point have been proven to cause damage to hair, with or without a heat protectant. I'm not saying that occasionally straightening your hair is going to completely destroy it, but invisible damage is still damage.

It will not, especially if you flat iron your hair once a year or two times a year. If you flat iron your hair a lot then yes it will lead to some damage but if you use a good enough deep conditioner and a heat protectant then you won't suffer any damage what so ever. You guys put so much science into hair when it's just hair, if she flat irons her hair it will not be damaged because invisible damage is only visible if you put your hair under a microscope. In that case everybody has invisible damage wether they use a flat iron or not because a lot of things can damage your hair. Her hair will revert to her curls with no problem what so ever.

If her hair was 2c then I would tell her not to flat iron it but blow dry it instead. Since its 3b/3c it's okay to straighten your hair just don't do it on a regular basis do it once in a blue moon. You guys put way to much science into curly hair and are so afraid of the simplest things.
  • GroYoFroGroYoFro Registered Users Posts: 237 Curl Neophyte
    Why would you want to straighten?
    "Life is too short to keep your hair short"

Click here to visit - GRO YO FRO!
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur

It will not, especially if you flat iron your hair once a year or two times a year. If you flat iron your hair a lot then yes it will lead to some damage but if you use a good enough deep conditioner and a heat protectant then you won't suffer any damage what so ever. You guys put so much science into hair when it's just hair, if she flat irons her hair it will not be damaged because invisible damage is only visible if you put your hair under a microscope. In that case everybody has invisible damage wether they use a flat iron or not because a lot of things can damage your hair. Her hair will revert to her curls with no problem what so ever.

If her hair was 2c then I would tell her not to flat iron it but blow dry it instead. Since its 3b/3c it's okay to straighten your hair just don't do it on a regular basis do it once in a blue moon. You guys put way to much science into curly hair and are so afraid of the simplest things.

You completely contradicted your own argument. You do realize that, right? If straightening caused "no damage" whatsoever, then it wouldn't matter how often you straightened your hair. It would never get dry or brittle. That fact that you still have to clarify with "once in a blue moon." Yes, lots of things cause invisible damage that builds up over time and leads to visible damage. That's why most people who have healthy hair do what they can to minimize the damage that they can control. But you obviously have your mind made up, so by all means continue to live in your imaginary world where flat ironing "will not damage your hair in any way unless you're doing something wrong." But at least be considerate enough not to pass your misinformation on to others.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel

You completely contradicted your own argument. You do realize that, right? If straightening caused "no damage" whatsoever, then it wouldn't matter how often you straightened your hair. It would never get dry or brittle. That fact that you still have to clarify with "once in a blue moon." Yes, lots of things cause invisible damage that builds up over time and leads to visible damage. That's why most people who have healthy hair do what they can to minimize the damage that they can control. But you obviously have your mind made up, so by all means continue to live in your imaginary world where flat ironing "will not damage your hair in any way unless you're doing something wrong." But at least be considerate enough not to pass your misinformation on to others.

I said it causes no damage unless you are flat ironing your hair 24/7. If you flat iron you hair every 6 months then you won't suffer from any damage. You guys are making it seem as if OP will suffer heat damage the moment she flat irons her hair. If you flat iron your hair once a year or two times a year and your hair suffers heat damage then it's on you.

More than half of the girls saying it will ruin your hair are the ones who straightened their hair 24/7 in the past. If you do it once and you leave it alone then you won't face anything. Don't let them scare you from straightening your hair.
  • Curlme_4ACurlme_4A Registered Users Posts: 3
    GroYoFro wrote: »
    Why would you want to straighten?

kinda of what I was thinking.
    but, if you want to straighten, Im assuming you'd what to do it daily or weekly which isnt good at all. hair naturally has a low heat tolerance regardless of hair type
    you should just do styles that dont require heat at all
  • KrullenbolKrullenbol Registered Users Posts: 114
    Eventually yes

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file