Also new to CG land...

mishmashmishmash Registered Users Posts: 1
Hi all

I don`t know how I happened upon this site but I`m glad I did.

I`m a curly girl since forever (2c apparently but I think Im actually a mix...) and have never straightened my hair (ok once or twice). In fact I walked away from a career in television because I refused to straighten. Not being a martyr...I regretted it for years but now I don`t care so much any more.

What would make me care even less would be if I could have the curls back that I had back then. Since having my gorgeous son (3) I have not looked after my hair at all. I`ve FORGOTTEN what I used to do to make it look so great. The only thing I remember was having half a dozen 1.5litre PET bottles in the bathroom full of rainwater because after getting stuck in the rain once, my hair was amazing! I used to collect it from the downpipe to the house once it had been raining for at least a few hours. But I dont do it anymore...and now they sell "rainwater"!!

I really have no idea where to begin. My hair is dry and brittle. I live in a hard water area (lots of lime - is that hard water?) and I am always scratching at (prepare to be grossed out) tiny sores on my head. I think I am destroying my hair by doing this as it is thinning and I`m sure its because I am scarring my scalp.

I`ve been reading online for hours, desperately working out how to cleanse my hair and scalp of mineral deposits so i can start with a clean slate. I cant work out the difference between clarifying and chelating...

I`m super keen to use baking soda, apple cider vinegar and lemon as they are my favourite all time products.

I know there is a newbie forum but Im even finding that overwhelming...OK, it IS 1.30am...

I better go to bed (hang on, I NEVER used to go to bed without a silk pillowcase! What happened to THAT? sigh..I used to be such a good CG, now I am a lazy one).

Looking foward to getting my locks back or at least as back as possible...
m x

Comments

• AmberNguyenAmberNguyen Registered Users Posts: 10
    Hey there welcome to the forum..i hope you have a great time here and make your stay a pleasant and a enjoyable one up here at this community.
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    mishmash wrote: »
    I really have no idea where to begin. My hair is dry and brittle. I live in a hard water area (lots of lime - is that hard water?) and I am always scratching at (prepare to be grossed out) tiny sores on my head. I think I am destroying my hair by doing this as it is thinning and I`m sure its because I am scarring my scalp.

I`ve been reading online for hours, desperately working out how to cleanse my hair and scalp of mineral deposits so i can start with a clean slate. I cant work out the difference between clarifying and chelating...

I`m super keen to use baking soda, apple cider vinegar and lemon as they are my favourite all time products.

I know there is a newbie forum but Im even finding that overwhelming...OK, it IS 1.30am...

I better go to bed (hang on, I NEVER used to go to bed without a silk pillowcase! What happened to THAT? sigh..I used to be such a good CG, now I am a lazy one).

Looking foward to getting my locks back or at least as back as possible...
    m x

Welcome!

Clarifying is removing product or sebum build up, chelating is removing hard water, pool chemical or mineral build up. You would need to use a chelating product like ION Swimmers or Malibu C sachets from Sallys.

Please do not use baking soda, it is highly alkaline so damaging to both skin and hair. Please also get a formal diagnosis for your scalp complaint, it could be one of a number of issues and may even need antibiotic treatment. Once you know what it is we can help you find suitable Curly Girl friendly ingredients and products.

TBH I would not use lemon juice nor vinegar on the scalp until this issue is diagnosed/ starting to heal - they are natural chelators which may be why you like them but the acids are drying and irritating to damaged skin. In general they should only be used on hair when diluted.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file