We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Do All Hair Types Look The Same When Relaxed?

Do they? I was wondering if a certain hair type's relaxed hair would look different over someone else's different hair type, 4c relaxed and 3b/3c relaxed for example. I hope you guys understand what i'm trying to say lol.

Comments

• B-Nessa11B-Nessa11 Posts: 1,050Registered Users
    Do they? I was wondering if a certain hair type's relaxed hair would look different over someone else's different hair type, 4c relaxed and 3b/3c relaxed for example. I hope you guys understand what i'm trying to say lol.
    Well I think that depends on how processed the hair is and the health of it beforehand. But I would guess that if 5 different heads of hair are healthy and they got a relaxer they would generally look the same. Lol. I have a curious mind too so I totally understood lol

How can I say goodbye P.L.G.
    Who's My Hair?
    3c/4a-b looking stuff lol
    BC- May 16, 2010
    Why I chopped: heat damage/breakage
    Luv'd my permed hair I just didnt take care of it.
    LUVVV my natural hair!!! :iconbiggrin:
  • JessiebananaJessiebanana Posts: 940Banned Users
    No, they don't. Someone who has 4b/c won't achieve the same level of straight with a relaxer in a safe amount of time.
    3C/Fine to Medium/Low Porosity/High Density

:love5:MoistureMoistureMoisture:love5:

Low Poo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo
    RO/DC: DB Pumpkin Seed Curl Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: Queen Helene Sculpturing Gel & Glaze

No Salts, No Waxes, No Butters, No Heavy Oils
    No ACV, No Saponified Oils, Protein Sensitive
  • B-Nessa11B-Nessa11 Posts: 1,050Registered Users
    I don't think that's true. If u get it done in the shop they don't leave the relaxer in for the recommended time anyway. They work it through to straighten it, not leave it in.
    And it gets bone straight. I have 4b and mine was healthy and super straight. Mine would b in for a good 5 minutes lol

How can I say goodbye P.L.G.
    Who's My Hair?
    3c/4a-b looking stuff lol
    BC- May 16, 2010
    Why I chopped: heat damage/breakage
    Luv'd my permed hair I just didnt take care of it.
    LUVVV my natural hair!!! :iconbiggrin:
  • secret_karmasecret_karma Posts: 438Registered Users
    IA I think it has more to do with the thickness of your hair rather than your hair type. When you apply relaxer to SOME curly type 3 hair, it doesn't break the protein bonds, so their hair will still curl up if you wet it. My friend's hair is like that, she has to constantly flat iron her hair after a relaxer in order to keep it straight. And I've seen stylists leave relaxer on longer for curly type 3 hair I supposed because it doesn't break their protein bonds. I don't know if this is typical for all curly type 3s though.
  • curlsandkinkscurlsandkinks Posts: 41Registered Users
    IA I think it has more to do with the thickness of your hair rather than your hair type. When you apply relaxer to SOME curly type 3 hair, it doesn't break the protein bonds, so their hair will still curl up if you wet it. My friend's hair is like that, she has to constantly flat iron her hair after a relaxer in order to keep it straight. And I've seen stylists leave relaxer on longer for curly type 3 hair I supposed because it doesn't break their protein bonds. I don't know if this is typical for all curly type 3s though.

hmmm you might be on to something. even though i just started transitioning, i know my hair isnt in the three's, more in the fours. and when i would get relaxers, my hair would get curly when i rinse the relaxer out. i got a little new growth but not sure what type of four it is; it does have a kinky/curly/wavy new growth going on though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file