Babyproofing

iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
Some of you may remember that last year, my SO and I had a pregnant friend move in with us. When her baby was about 2 months old, they went back to Ecuador. They are coming back in a few weeks and her baby will now be 11 months old. They will be staying for about 6 weeks I think.

What do we need to do to baby-proof the house for a child that age? I know about getting outlet covers, baby gates for the stairs and making sure she can't get into cleaning supplies and other chemicals, but what else do we need to do? This may sound mean, but I'm not relying on my friend to know what to do because she thinks car seats are silly. :?

One thing I'm worried about is the kitty litter--I need a way to make it so the cats can get to it but the baby can't.
3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A

Comments

• DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My house is still not fully baby proofed. The easiest way to get started is to get down on the floor and see what you can get into from down there. It sounds like you have a great start with what you are planning to do.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I was going to say exactly what DarkAngel said.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    in stages and depending on the kid. What we babyproofed for #1 and what we needed for #2 has been quite different. So like DA mentioned get down on the floor (loose cords, exposed outlets), sharp corners, etc. Also it depends on the child's temperament and the parenting style of the mom as to how much babyproofing you'll be doing.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My kids were always more attracted to outlet covers than regular outlets. So, I didn't use them. All I ever did was put poisons up high and keep sharp objects away. Other than that...I watched them. There really isn't any such thing as baby "proof" anyway...best you can hope for is baby "resistant".
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    My kid wasn't mobile at 11 months, but then was walking at 12.5 months so that's when our childproofing began. We put on outlet covers, but honestly I don't think those are necessary until they can actually stick something into the holes (their fingers won't fit) and moved any delicates and things easily knocked over out of his reach.

That's about it. He's 16 months now and never our of our sight for more than a minute here or there. Constant vigilance is the best babyproofing IMO.
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    -We put those little cabinet locks on the cabinet where the trash can is.
    -Keep the bathroom door shut so the baby doesn't unroll all the toilet paper or stick things in the toilet.
    -Hide your remote controls or you'll never get them back. :lol:
    -Some kids unshelve books, or shred magazines/newspapers. Keep an eye out for that.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    -Some kids unshelve books, or shred magazines/newspapers. Keep an eye out for that.

Only some do that? All mine did. That's safe trouble though. I used to let them shelve and unshelve books all day long...kept them out of worse trouble.
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    ~get cords out of reach. You wouldn't want the baby to pull a lamp down on his/her head.

~Keep plants out of reach. Never know which ones could be poisonous.
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    Sigi wrote:
    --Hide your remote controls or you'll never get them back. :lol:

And your phones and cell phones!

My friend's daughter (now 22 months) would always get her cell phone and manage to dial the first person in her contact list. I don't know how kids figure those things out
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Sigi wrote:
    --Hide your remote controls or you'll never get them back. :lol:

And your phones and cell phones!

My friend's daughter (now 22 months) would always get her cell phone and manage to dial the first person in her contact list. I don't know how kids figure those things out

Guano story:

My daughter got ahold of dh's brand new (expensive) cell phone and took it to her crib w/ her at bedtime - and we didn't know she had it. He was frantically looking for it, and someone kept calling and calling, but every time he answered, no one would be there. He actually went to the police department, totally freaking out and reporting it stolen.

It was around then that I went upstairs to check on her, and while I was there, found the phone. An officer called the phone and I answered it and had to explain to him that I found the phone in his daughters crib. :lol:

• picklesgirlpicklesgirl Posts: 1,955Registered Users
    here's another guano story

when my son was like 11 months or so he got to our stereo and put it on army time my husband and i had no idea how he did it and couldn't figure out how to get it back to normal time. Babies are so smart I tell ya.

As far as baby proofing you might not know exactly what to do until the baby gets there. My son needed very little baby proofing I never even had a gate on the stairs when he was a baby. We lived in a split level and had stairs going down to the door in our living room everyone always freaked out on me because I didn't have a gate but we just didn't need one he never bothered them. I didn't do much baby proofing around our house.
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    Thanks for the advice everyone

Like I said, I haven't seen this little girl since she was 2 months old so I don't have any idea what she will be like or what she's likely to get into. And I don't know what kinds of precautions her mom is planning to take, because we have different ideas of what is safe for babies.

I'd much rather be safe than sorry.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
    I think some of the simple things, like baby gates on stairs, outlet covers, and cabinet locks on your cabinets. Other than that, you'll see what she gets into when she gets there, and move stuff accordingly.

• rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    look at your end tables, shelves, and other areas that are eye-level to the baby. if you have decorations that can cut her, tip over on her head or fall on her feet, choke her, strangle her (cords from blinds), then move them out of her reach. make sure there are no pens or pencils in her reach or any similar-shaped thing that she could put in her mouth and hurt herself with.

also, if you have special things like framed pictures or candles that you won't want damaged, put them up.

always make sure your dishwasher door is locked. a door that swings open on her head could kill her.

do you have a safety rail for whatever bed she'll be sleeping in? if the mother won't bring one, maybe you should find a cheap one at walmart.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • itsjustmeghanitsjustmeghan Posts: 652Registered Users
    for the kitties,
    right now our litter box is in the basement, and owen doesn't really get over by the basement stairs. so we have the door propped open a little and a doorstop on the other side. he hasn't pullled the door ever, just tries to close it and laughs because he can't get it closed.
    when he gets more mobile and more curious, petsmart has a dog gate that has a cat door in there. we'll put that in the basement doorway so cats can get down, but owen's can't.

i haven't really baby proofed. you gradually do it as needed. one week they don't care about stuff on coffee tables, the next week they do. one week they don't care about buttons on the stereo, the next week it's baby crack and they have to get to it.
    depends on the baby. some babies are runners and want to explore everywhere. others like to examine every nook and cranny in one room.
    3A Once again on the quest for BSL healthy curly hair....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file