Recording baby's heartbeat?

AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
How would I go about getting my doctor to record the sound of the baby's heartbeat for my husband, who can never make my prenatal appointments and will probably only make it to the ultrasound? Plus I think it would be cool to play for the child later when explaining conception and birth.
Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Comments

• PhDCowPhDCow Posts: 1,621Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The one that I rented during my pregnancy with Emma had an outlet for you to hook it up to a tape recorder. Maybe see if your OB's office has a similar setup.
    God doesn't give special kids to special parents. He takes ordinary, imperfect people, and gifts them with his greatest treasures. And therein, he creates special parents.

• iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    Amneris, have you asked your doctor's office about this? I expect that you aren't the first woman who wants to record her baby's heartbeat, so your doctor's office might already have the equipment, or be able to tell you how you can do it.

I think there are also little hand-held doppler devices you can buy and use to record the heartbeat, but I'm not sure how well they actually work (since they are made for consumers, not medical professionals).
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • loosecurlsloosecurls Posts: 637Registered Users
    When DH couldn't make it to my appt I'd call him & let him listen to the doppler over the phone.
    Slinky's rule for NC.com:

I suppose I can't judge you because you married a serviceman and it is wartime. Boo hoo. You must be loney sitting at home with nothing else to do but pick on people. Why don't you go masterbate again?
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    iris427 wrote:
    Amneris, have you asked your doctor's office about this? I expect that you aren't the first woman who wants to record her baby's heartbeat, so your doctor's office might already have the equipment, or be able to tell you how you can do it.

I think there are also little hand-held doppler devices you can buy and use to record the heartbeat, but I'm not sure how well they actually work (since they are made for consumers, not medical professionals).

No... we only thought of it after the fact (just had an appointment yesterday.)

I am against using Dopplers at home. My father, a doctor, feels it is unsafe for the baby and should be used sparingly.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Amneris wrote:
    iris427 wrote:

I am against using Dopplers at home. My father, a doctor, feels it is unsafe for the baby and should be used sparingly.

I actually agree with you and your father. I don't think dopplers should be used at home or for entertainment--those ones at the mall (!) really annoy me.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Maybe a handheld digital voice recorder would be fine?
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    I got a thingy at Wal-Mart that works like a stethascope kind of adn is recordable, but I can't ever hear the heartbeat on it...
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
    shelli wrote:
    I got a thingy at Wal-Mart that works like a stethascope kind of adn is recordable, but I can't ever hear the heartbeat on it...

I think that's the doppler that we were referring to. I'm not surprised they don't work well.
  • PhDCowPhDCow Posts: 1,621Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Nope, I rented it from Babybeat: http://www.babybeat.com/
    God doesn't give special kids to special parents. He takes ordinary, imperfect people, and gifts them with his greatest treasures. And therein, he creates special parents.

• DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    shelli wrote:

I know people that couldn't hear their baby's heartbeat at fullterm with that Wal-mart thing. Apparently, it is mostly crap.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
    DarkAngel wrote:
    shelli wrote:

I know people that couldn't hear their baby's heartbeat at fullterm with that Wal-mart thing. Apparently, it is mostly crap.

Meanwhile, baby is still being exposed to ultrasound waves while the parents search around for the heartbeat for 5 minutes.
    I don't think that is how this thing works. It is like an amplified stephascope. Do stethascopes hurt a baby? I don't see how they would... It is just like a little microphone w/ earphones.

• M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    PhDCow wrote:
    Nope, I rented it from Babybeat: http://www.babybeat.com/

That's where I rented mine as well for both pregnancies.
    :rambo:
    shelli wrote:
    I don't think that is how this thing works. It is like an amplified stephascope. Do stethascopes hurt a baby? I don't see how they would... It is just like a little microphone w/ earphones.

I have the feeling it is ultrasound. You can usually only hear a baby's heartbeat via stethoscope (sp?) near the end of the 3rd tri. It could be that that's what you have and it's too early to hear anything....

.png

534Pm5.png

• mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I don't know how you would record it at the doctor's office, unless you brought in a little voice recorder and did it yourself.

I'm not one for renting a doppler either, but if its really important to you to record the heartbeat then I would rent one, record the hb and that's it. You won't have to use it more than a couple of times to get a recording.

Otherwise, wait until later in the pregnancy when you might be able to hear the h/b using a stethoscope.
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    iris427 wrote:
    Amneris wrote:
    iris427 wrote:

I actually agree with you and your father. I don't think dopplers should be used at home or for entertainment--those ones at the mall (!) really annoy me.

They have them at the mall?!? Do they stalk pregnant ladies in the mall kind of the like the perfume samplers used to in department stores? ;)
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png

shelli wrote:

I think that is ultrasound....

Madscientist, it's not THAT big of a deal to me. I thought it would be nice, but if my doctor can't do it, I'm not going to rent or buy anything. My husband will be coming to the ultrasound (whenever that is...still on the wait list) so he'll be able to see and hear everything then.

.png

534Pm5.png

• DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It says in the link that Shelli's thing uses a stethoscope method.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Posts: 1,955Registered Users
    iris427 wrote:
    shelli wrote:

I think that's the doppler that we were referring to. I'm not surprised they don't work well.

It's not actually a doppler I have one to the way they discribe it is that it's different then what they use at the Dr office it works like a stethascope it ampliphies the sounds in your body that's why some women have trouble using them they think they are going to hear the same sound that they heard in the Dr.'s office but it will sound completly different more like a fast drum beat rather than a whoosh whoosh sound. And it's best to use it before you eat or a couple of hours after you eat because otherwise you're goint to hear digestion and it will make it hard to hear anything else. I use mine all the time. I read the instructions over and over when I first bought mine and this is the way I understood them.
    Yes, Shelli, you are right, yours does not use ultrasound. However, there are many on the market that do, and I doubt they warn the mothers about potential risk of exposing baby to ultrasound waves whenever they feel like hearing the heartbeat.
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    SHELLI--

i had one of those, i couldn't even hear the HB the day i had him, it was the biggest piece of crap...i shuold ahvejust forked over the cash and rented one.

Just asking, what are the negative effects of the doctors doppler/stress test/ ultasounds???
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
    deezee02 wrote:
    SHELLI--

i had one of those, i couldn't even hear the HB the day i had him, it was the biggest piece of crap...i shuold ahvejust forked over the cash and rented one.

Just asking, what are the negative effects of the doctors doppler/stress test/ ultasounds???

I have read that some ultrasound waves can generate a small amount of heat. It can cuase health problems in the baby.

However, I did ask my doctor about it, and he said that the Dopplers that they use to detect a heartbeat aren't nearly as strong as the ultrasounds with 2D images, and the 3D/4D ones are even stronger. He didn't recommend the 3D/4D ones, and didn't like to do the 2D one often, but said that the heartbeat Dopplers were okay.
    he said that you'd have to wear it for a week straight, taped to your belly to really see a difference in the heat it generated.

I used the one I rented more often with my first pregnancy than with my second. Although, I did use it the second time around after a bout of spotting that really scared me.
    deezee02 wrote:
    SHELLI--

It is considered an acceptable risk when done in a controlled environment for medical reasons (ie. doctor's office.) The time the ultrasound is used is limited. Once my doctor finds the heart beat, she takes the doppler away after only a few seconds - we know the baby is OK and that's all that is needed.

Ultrasound technology has changed since any studies were done and it has not been tested/tracked on humans, so it is one big experiment at this point. But it is believed that the vibrations bother the baby and possibly create bubbles, and also raise the temperature of the womb because heat is involved in the technology, which can possibly lead to brain defects. Some babies have appeared to be moving as if in distress when exposed to ultrasound.

.png

534Pm5.png

Here's a good article on ultrasounds and their risks
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    what about fetal echo's? they use U/S machines for those, i believe they are U/S just focused on the heart.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
    deezee02 wrote:
    what about fetal echo's? they use U/S machines for those, i believe they are U/S just focused on the heart.

I would assume that they ahve the same risks.

I know that my U/S with #2, the entire thing took about an hour, most of it focused on the heart, and there was an echo chart at the bottom of the screen that they were monitoring the heartbeat and all of that...
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    I would have to do some Googling, but I think there was a study showing a link between doppler use and ADD.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Amneris wrote:
    Madscientist, it's not THAT big of a deal to me. I thought it would be nice, but if my doctor can't do it, I'm not going to rent or buy anything. My husband will be coming to the ultrasound (whenever that is...still on the wait list) so he'll be able to see and hear everything then.

Ok gotcha. DH never made it to any of my appointments either. But at the u/s he actually got a better view than I did. Our tech kept the screen pointed towards her and DH while she did the measurements etc... and then turned the screen towards me afterwards. DS was wide awake and flapping around when they were watching him but decided to take a nap when it was my turn!
    I didn't write that... :?: :?:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file