KNOTS!!!

SmilingElephantSmilingElephant Posts: 666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
So i almost boo hoo cried in the shower this morning...i am usually a fingercomber....but i had to pull out the shower comb today!

Ive been getting these knots that cannot be detangled...they're bigger than ssks but not dreads...im guessing its shed hairs wrapping around other hair...when i put conditioner on and try to detangle them....the whole knot slides down the strand and theres like a 1 inch or .05 inch clump of curls that slide down with it!

Is there anyway i can reduce the amount of times this happens?? Its always in the same spots too.

I believe finger combing isnt enough for me anymore and i may need to go back to using a comb. My hair seemed to lay a little flatter too after i used my comb.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using CurlTalk App
2yrs 7 months post relaxer/2 years and 11 months natural

Cleanse: SM Moisture Retention or Suave Naturals shampoos
Co-Wash: Suave Naturals, L'Oreal EverCreme or EverCurl
RO/Detangler: Tresseme Naturals:nemo:, GVPCB
Leave-In: SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie, TN, GVPCB
Styler: EcoStyler, GF Pure Clean gel, KCCC

Just discovering my hair likes protein! :dontknow:

:wav:

Comments

• curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Curl power app has an article about detangling knots with oils & conditioner. If I remember correctly, use the oils first the conditioner.
  • SmilingElephantSmilingElephant Posts: 666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Okay...I'll look into that! Thanks!

Idk if oil could have salvaged them tho....they just slide down a tiny strand of hair if i put enough conditioner on them.

The horror!!

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use a spray in detangler, SLIP, made by Curly Hair Solutions, when I have problems with my hair tangling in larger knots.

Often, especially if it keeps happening in the same place, that's a sign that I've got split ends or I have a single strand (or larger) knot which is catching shed hairs and drawing them in. In that case, the only thing that will really help long term is to do a search and destroy mission and cut out the split ends and knots with hair shears. Before washing my hair, I'll spray it with SLIP or apply a conditioner or coconut oil, then start finger combing at the ends, very slowly working my way up. I work out any knots that I can, and try to make sure that I've checked each hair from snarls individually for knots and split ends.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • SamanthascurlzSamanthascurlz Posts: 1,082Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    How long do you go between washes? What is your night-time routine?
    CG, High Porosity, Fine, Low Density, Medium Elasticity
    Suave, V05, GF Go clean gel, ACV rinses, CO, and Gelatine PT.
    [URL="[url=http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/samanthascurlz-albums-evolvement-my-hair.html]Curls[/url]"][/url]Curls
  • rainboerainboe Posts: 284Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'll get knots if my hair is getting kind if dry or if Im getting bad ends and need to cut my hair. So, you might have luck with a deep treatment or trim.
    Fine Texture, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity. Dyed to brown a few months ago.
    Lowpoo: Trader Joe's TTT Shampoo
    Rinse Out:
    Yes to Carrots, AOHR, Aubrey Organics Rosemary Peppermint
    LI: Yes to Carrots
    Stylers: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, LA Looks Sports, Suave Professionals Captivating Curls Whipped Mousse
  • SmilingElephantSmilingElephant Posts: 666Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I was at a point where i would only wash weekly. But i kept ending up with dreads. So now im back to washing almost daily and that kinda helps.

I decided to give combing with a comb a try, i usually fingercomb...but I've been doing the comb for the past few days and my hair is doing SO much better....no knots so far.

At nite i usually sleep with my hair in a ponytail or pineapple. I sleep on a satin pillowcase.

Its weird bc i usually get the knots around my temple areas where the 4a and the 3c curls meet...i was thinking that could be a factor? I have 3 different curl types on my head.

• SamanthascurlzSamanthascurlz Posts: 1,082Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I was at a point where i would only wash weekly. But i kept ending up with dreads. So now im back to washing almost daily and that kinda helps.

I decided to give combing with a comb a try, i usually fingercomb...but I've been doing the comb for the past few days and my hair is doing SO much better....no knots so far.

At nite i usually sleep with my hair in a ponytail or pineapple. I sleep on a satin pillowcase.

Its weird bc i usually get the knots around my temple areas where the 4a and the 3c curls meet...i was thinking that could be a factor? I have 3 different curl types on my head.

Glad to hear there has been some improvement. I completely empathize with you on the knots. Especially since I have been swimming more lately, the knots that have been forming have been far from easy to remove. I know the TN (I use that as well to detangle) has cetearyl alcohol and behentrimonium chloride, which are excellent agents for detangling. Maybe you can try to up the anti with your detangler and use something else that still contains these specific ingredients. You could also try something with Cetearyl alcohol and Behentrimonium methosulfate, not to be confused with a shampoo sulfate! I think KCKT is an excellent detangler for it has these 2 key ingredients. It states it is a leave-in/detangler, but it really only is a detangler since it doesn't contain any fatty alcholos or cationic surfactants that can suffice to actually moisturize and leave in.

I am glad the comb is better. I don't think using a comb is bad, as long as your hair is full of conditioner and you are very vigliant with how hard you yank at a knot. I also finger comb, and have been for months now, so trying to get large knots out with just your fingers can be a huge daunting task. Happy your knots are getting better! :)
    CG, High Porosity, Fine, Low Density, Medium Elasticity
    Suave, V05, GF Go clean gel, ACV rinses, CO, and Gelatine PT.
    [URL="[url=http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/samanthascurlz-albums-evolvement-my-hair.html]Curls[/url]"][/url]Curls
  • hairhealthhairhealth Posts: 90Registered Users
    do you wash with a sulfate or just cowash?

is it with a slippery condish?

I can NOT finger comb. I style daily, usually, and find myself on my BEST detangling days using a rat tail comb [gasp!!] on the most difficult sections of hair. I keep the scissors handy. the knot is usually shed hair caught on unshed and if you can't carefully work it out, just cut it, and chalk it down as a trim... :-)

try using a slippery condish and do what works for you. set up your own routine and follow it, not the masses.

happy hair growing.
    growout from baldy since 10/11
    modified cg; cones & mild sulfate 'poo
    -cowash: fave 2: vo5 strawberry
    -rinseout:herbal essencesbodyenvy;color mehappy
    -leave in: infusium 23 repair/renew spray
    -dc: gvp conditioning balm

www.fotki.com/browncoily :toothy4:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights