And yet one more newbie!

MamasmezzoMamasmezzo Registered Users Posts: 2
Hi all,
I am a 2c, more 2b lately because my curls are getting droopy. (I'm not sure if it is the length of my hair or the products) With low to medium porosity. I found this site when I was looking up what to do with my halo of frizz. I cannot express how much I dislike looking like a cotton ball... My mother had curly hair, but hers was so incredibly soft, mine has the texture of my father that is more like dry corn husk :0/
Does anyone else have issues with knots as their hair gets longer? I don't know if that is because of the texture of my hair or just being long. I am trying to grow it out again but I'm tired of the tangles.
Glad to be here and I look forward to learning how to deal with these locks and hearing of others experiences with their curly hair as well.

Cheers, M

Comments

• curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Welcome Mammasmezzo! Always room for one more :profileleft:.

I don't have an answer for you but hopefully, others will chime in. Good luck and have fun!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • SamanthascurlzSamanthascurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,082 Curl Neophyte
    Hello!:wave:

I get very bad tangles. What helps is defintely a good conditioner. A few that I love that are amazing at detangling are: Yes to Carrots, DevaCurl One Condition, Tresemme Naturals, and Kinky Curly Knot Today. What also assists with tangles, for myself, is combining conditioner with water. Meaning, as the shower head water is falling, I use slabs of conditioner and the water helps smooth out the tangles. Fellow curlies actually helped me with that idea :)

Are you using a comb? Personally, I finger comb. It is easier on the hair, prevents less amount of breakage, and you won't yank hair. Instead, you can slowly pick apart the knots. I also know that what you do outside of the shower; your daily regimen, also assists with less tangles. Thus, are your products balanced between protein, moisture, and dew points/humidity? I believe keeping your curls or waves moisturized will help with the curls not having the tendency to rope around each other. Also, wash days can affect it as well. I notice when I would wash my hair only once a week, the tangles were insane. Instead, I amped up my wash time to 2x a week and it's helped decrease tangles.

HTH:glasses8:
    CG, High Porosity, Fine, Low Density, Medium Elasticity
    Suave, V05, GF Go clean gel, ACV rinses, CO, and Gelatine PT.
    [URL="[url=http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/samanthascurlz-albums-evolvement-my-hair.html]Curls[/url]"][/url]Curls
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    Welcome! If you have harder water or go swimming do a chelating wash. After that use plenty of a 'slippy' conditioner, both as rinse out/ detangling in the shower and as a leave in. Be sure you have let the conditioner soak on your hair before starting the detangling process, work from the bottom up slowly in sections.

Also try to work out what is causing the tangles - build up, damage that needs cutting off, rubbing on your clothing/ pillowcase/ car head rest? Try a silk or satin pillowcase or sleeping cap if you have not already.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • MamasmezzoMamasmezzo Registered Users Posts: 2
    Thank you both! Samantha, I never use a comb or a brush, only my fingers or a pick. I will have to try some of the things mentioned for the knots !

Firefox, I am not sure if we have hard water, I will have to find that out. I know there are days when you can smell the chlorine in the water, it's gross.... I will have to try a silk pillow case and see if that helps, and it could be related to build up. I was just reading about silicones yesterday and I will be looking through my cupboard full of products to see which are good silicones, and which are bad !

Thanks so much !
    M
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    Mamasmezzo wrote: »
    Thank you both! Samantha, I never use a comb or a brush, only my fingers or a pick. I will have to try some of the things mentioned for the knots !

Firefox, I am not sure if we have hard water, I will have to find that out. I know there are days when you can smell the chlorine in the water, it's gross.... I will have to try a silk pillow case and see if that helps, and it could be related to build up. I was just reading about silicones yesterday and I will be looking through my cupboard full of products to see which are good silicones, and which are bad !

Thanks so much !
    M

If you can smell chlorine then definitely chelate, from now on try to final rinse your hair in bottled water/ water that you have boiled or allowed to sit for 24 hours. I think the ION swimmers shampoo is sulphate free or there are little sachets from Malibu C - both at Sallys.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • SamanthascurlzSamanthascurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,082 Curl Neophyte
    Ok, I did some more research between my own experiences and a mixture of ingredients and I think I might have found something to help you. I have realized that a few of the best detangling conditioners for me, all carried one or both of these ingredients: Behentrimonium Chloride, Behentrimonium methosulfate (This is not to be confused with a sulfate), and Cetearly Alcohol. *There are also other names, I believe for these ingredients. Anyway, if any of these ingredients' are in a conditioner, pushed up towards the beginning of the list, then one of the main actions will be to detangle! So, instead of just buying random conditioner, make sure to look for these ingredients' in it to help detangle, ok?
    CG, High Porosity, Fine, Low Density, Medium Elasticity
    Suave, V05, GF Go clean gel, ACV rinses, CO, and Gelatine PT.
    [URL="[url=http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/samanthascurlz-albums-evolvement-my-hair.html]Curls[/url]"][/url]Curls

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file