We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

CG beginner - did I do it correctly?

mayasimmamayasimma Posts: 45Registered Users
Hi everyone!

I've been off and on with this site for a few years, but I only decided this week to try going CG. My hair is 3a (low porosity, high density, medium to coarse, armpit length), but I have 2 completely different textures on my head: the bottom half is very soft and seems totally healthy, but the top half is all spiderweb frizz that, although it is soft, is very coarse and dry (it crackles if I squeeze it).

After doing extensive research, I bought some new products and tried washing my hair. My hair felt great when it was wet, but as it dried (I let it air dry, occasionally scrunching my hair) it became a tangled mess that is simultaneously greasy and dry. Is that normal for the first time?

Oh! I forgot to mention that the only thing I didn't do was clip my hair...I attempted it, but I have so much hair that it just didn't work.

Comments

• mayasimmamayasimma Posts: 45Registered Users
    Also, does it make sense to wash my hair again tonight (I tried CG washing on Monday, and I usually go 3-4 days between washing my hair anyway) or should I let it be?
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    Have you tried a chelating wash? The issue with the canopy might be partly hard water build up. Don't scrunch your hair whilst it's drying, you are not supposed to manipulate after product application and plopping/ squeezing the excess water out.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
    I haven't tried a chelating wash, but I just looked it up, and chelating products don't seem to be very accessible. Any alternatives?
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    Which country are you in?
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
    I'm in the States, Massachusetts to be exact
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,307Registered Users
    Maybe you need one last shampoo. You could also try a protein treatment. There's no instant cure just give it the moisture and hopefully within 2-3 washes you'll notice a huge difference in texture.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
    I'm about to do that. I know that it isn't something that happens miraculously overnight, I was just wondering if the transition was one of those things that gets worse before it gets better.

Also, is clipping a necessary part of the process? As I said before, I attempted it last time, but my hair didn't want to cooperate.

Thanks for your help! :-)
  • someonestakarasomeonestakara Posts: 88Registered Users
    The upper layer of your hair is usually the most damaged because it's exposed to the brunt of the elements. But give it time and tlc and it'll behave:)
    Cowash/Leave in- Suave naturals
    RO-GVPCB
    Gels- Biotera Styling Gel
    SOTC-Biotera Curl Creme
    Medium hair with normal porosity
    Type 2C/3A
  • CurlyInTheFogCurlyInTheFog Posts: 876Registered Users
    What products were you using prior? If you were using silicone-heavy products, for instance, and didn't do a clarifying (or chelating) wash prior, you won't have good results with conditioner washes because you'll still have buildup. I had good results straight off with conditioner washing, but haven't used cones or sulfate products in a very long time, so no real buildup. Some do have a transition period, but I think some of that is getting used to the idea of "clean" hair not being stripped hair the way it is with conventional shampoo.

Joico makes a good chelating shampoo. It's what I use if I feel I should do a chelating wash, which I do maybe a few times a year due to my well water.
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

Suave conditioner, LAL gel
    I haven't used sulfate products in at least 5 years. I don't have very much - if any - buildup, but the top layer of my hair (roots to ends) seems totally dead. I've now tried at least 3 types of CG hair washing products, and the bottom 2/3s of my hair is great, but the top most layer just seems to get worse.
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It really sounds like you've got some buildup of some sort, and I think the best thing to do would be to do a final clarification, by washing your hair one last time with a sulfate poo which is known to be silicone free: J&J Baby Shampoo, Suave Naturals Shampoo, or VO5 Moisture Milks or Herbal Escapes Shampoo. Just once.

The Suave Naturals Conditioners, and the VO5 Moisture Milk or Herbal Escapes Conditioners all have EDTA, which is a chelating ingredient. If you have hard water, this should do the trick. We've got very hard water here, and I have no related problems with my hair using any of these cheap conditioners for cleansing.

I'd also recommend deep treatments even twice a week until you've seen significant improvement. Then keep doing them, but you could back off to once a week.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file