Need Shampoo & Moisturizing Cond HELP!

VielkaVielka Registered Users Posts: 11
Hi,

Chemo and related medical concerns have altered my hair (as is common with chemo my hair is now curlier than it was before). I would greatly appreciate some guidance on great 4a hair products in particular I find that even using products that I found too moisturizing or even greasy when I had my natural 3a/b/c hair (yes all of them on my head) are now not sufficiently moisturizing. I am enjoying the extra curliness of my hair now that its 4a (I know I shouldn't be touching the curls after they dry but they are fun to touch) but I am noticing that it is very dry and I cannot find a reasonably useful shampoo and conditioner. I have used cantu, pantene, shea moisture, curly this and that and still am not happy with the softness of my hair. It feels like it needs moisture to me and with my hair still growing out from chemo it is too short to be dry even though I wash it more often then when it was 3a/b/c and I blew it straight once a week at the Dominican salon. Any guidance appreciated. V
Vielka

Comments

• adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    Hope you are feeling better.

Finding right products imo is more about hair properties than hair type. Porosity texture protein sensitive or craving. Yous might have changed with chemo. Also if u were getting weekly dominican blowouts it is possible your hair is naturally curlier and was loosend by that frequent extreme heat. My hair is fine and I know coudnt take a dbo.

If you are low porosity like me I suggest you dc with heat to open the cuticles. I like to do this as a prepoo with Evoo to also minimize shampoo dryness. Sealimg your hair with either oil or butter helps too. Keep in mind weather changes will affect your routine. My hair is not keen on summer humidity so im having to adjust right now
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • rmc2rmc2 Registered Users Posts: 349
    Try the Trader Joe tea tree tingle conditioner. Also I prepoo with extra virgin coconut oil once or twice a week. I Cowash every Wed and Sat. For Cowash I use the As I am Cowash Conditioner; and for the best detangling condish use the Trader Joe Conditioner. My best curl styler is Hawaiian Silky Curl Activator (the pink one). Google it. It makes my hair very curly and soft. Also prior to using I put some Kinky Curly Knot Today for leavein.
  • rmc2rmc2 Registered Users Posts: 349
    I have 4a hair.
  • VielkaVielka Registered Users Posts: 11
    thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it.
    Vielka
  • westndnbeautywestndnbeauty Registered Users Posts: 73
    I have 4a hair as well. There are only two shampoos I've tried that actually clean my hair and scalp but don't leave my hair feeling dry and stripped. The first is CHI Infared (red top) and I recently reviewed Ouidad's Cleansing Oil -- good stuff! Check out my review here Product Review| Ouidad Curl Recovery Ultra Nourishing Cleansing Oil + III Sisters of Nature Once A Week Nourishing Treatment
  • h2wQueenh2wQueen Registered Users Posts: 551
    Have you considered not using shampoo at all. For my hair, Shampoo is the devil so I co-wash with Tresemme Naturals and follow up with conditioning with a shea/coconut oil base conditioner that I made. This has helped my hair tremendously with moisture setting it on path of healthiness and ability to retain length.
    "We Live From the Head Down and Not the Feet Up" ~Donnie
  • Aliciamelena87Aliciamelena87 Registered Users Posts: 68
    Sorry to hear about the chemo.
    I recommend:
    using Kinky Curly line, it's very moisturizing;
    watering down or using less of the products you are using if they seem to greasy; .
    taking a break from straightening hair with heat;
    steaming hair to add moisture.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file