CurlTalk

Methylisothiazolinone contact dermatitis link

Interesting article about this preservative. I checked my products and found it in my Suave conditioner and sulfate poo. Suave tends to irritate my skin, so I have to use them sparingly. It's also in my Tresemme Naturals conditioner. I have a patch of irritated skin on my eyelid right now that is probably caused by some product running down my face when I shower. I guess I'll quit using those as co wash or rinse out and see what happens.

Warning over epidemic of skin allergies from chemical in cosmetics and household products - Telegraph
Salt & pepper wavy mix 2B/2C
Low to normal porosity, coarse, kinky, normal elasticity
Current favorites:
Low poo: Yes To Cukes Color Protection (the no sulfate one)
Conditioners: Renpure MPHIP, CJ Smoothing Lotion, AB LI, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan/Olive, Darcy's Pumpkin
Style: FSG, BRHG
Pre-poo/DT: Conditioner with honey & coconut oil

iHerb discount code: PNQ285

Comments

• JessiebananaJessiebanana Posts: 940Banned Users
    Most preservatives are associated with some kind of skin irritation, so it wouldn't be shocking.
    3C/Fine to Medium/Low Porosity/High Density

:love5:MoistureMoistureMoisture:love5:

Low Poo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo
    RO/DC: DB Pumpkin Seed Curl Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: Queen Helene Sculpturing Gel & Glaze

No Salts, No Waxes, No Butters, No Heavy Oils
    No ACV, No Saponified Oils, Protein Sensitive
  • SamanthascurlzSamanthascurlz Posts: 1,082Registered Users
    Thank you for this article. I am going to be more cautious when seeing this ingredient and if I react to it.
    CG, High Porosity, Fine, Low Density, Medium Elasticity
    Suave, V05, GF Go clean gel, ACV rinses, CO, and Gelatine PT.
    [URL="[url=http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/samanthascurlz-albums-evolvement-my-hair.html]Curls[/url]"][/url]Curls
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    CurlyGrey3 wrote: »
    Interesting article about this preservative. I checked my products and found it in my Suave conditioner and sulfate poo. Suave tends to irritate my skin, so I have to use them sparingly. It's also in my Tresemme Naturals conditioner. I have a patch of irritated skin on my eyelid right now that is probably caused by some product running down my face when I shower. I guess I'll quit using those as co wash or rinse out and see what happens.

A patch of irritated skin? As in a defined patch with a fairly neat border? Is it slightly raised when you touch it?
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • CurlyGrey3CurlyGrey3 Posts: 508Registered Users

A patch of irritated skin? As in a defined patch with a fairly neat border? Is it slightly raised when you touch it?

It looks a little raised, no regular border. It seems to be exactly the same (and in the same place) as what I saw the dermatologist about last year - and was diagnosed as a small patch of eczema. Last year it spread over more of my eyelid and just above it before I did anything about it. It's a very small itchy patch right now. I'm trying to not let the products run down my face when I rinse.
    Current favorites:
    Conditioners: Renpure MPHIP, CJ Smoothing Lotion, AB LI, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan/Olive, Darcy's Pumpkin

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    It looks a little raised, no regular border. It seems to be exactly the same (and in the same place) as what I saw the dermatologist about last year - and was diagnosed as a small patch of eczema. Last year it spread over more of my eyelid and just above it before I did anything about it. It's a very small itchy patch right now. I'm trying to not let the products run down my face when I rinse.

Atopic eczema was what I was suspecting. If you can avoid the sulphates in all skin, oral and body products, bubbles only can certainly be a trigger as can chlorine and fluoride in tap water. Be sure you are eating plenty of oily fish and an anti inflammatory diet generally. Applying a cream containing medical grade lanolin before showering can help protect the area from the water and products.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • CurlyGrey3CurlyGrey3 Posts: 508Registered Users

Atopic eczema was what I was suspecting. If you can avoid the sulphates in all skin, oral and body products, bubbles only can certainly be a trigger as can chlorine and fluoride in tap water. Be sure you are eating plenty of oily fish and an anti inflammatory diet generally. Applying a cream containing medical grade lanolin before showering can help protect the area from the water and products.

Thanks, Firefox. Does this cream work?
    Lansinoh® HPA® Lanolin | Lansinoh
    I actually had been thinking of asking you if there was something I could use as a barrier cream while I showered.

The dermatologist had me using some creams that didn't make me comfortable - hydrocortisone (so close to my eye!) and one of the prescription ones with the really awful black box warnings, though I've forgotten the name and threw it out after a couple of uses. I would like to avoid that this time around.

I appreciate the diet suggestions. I do try to eat like that, but of course I'm far from perfect.
    Current favorites: