CurlTalk

CG:How many of you have read the actual CG book?

Did you read the book or just find the info online, I just ordered my book with express shipping, is it worth it or is the online info enough?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App
CG/LOC Method's 3b/3c hair SL-Curly/ Goal-MBL Curly:)
Weekly Poo/Low Poo: some Shea M Poo.
Weekly Deep Treat-Dermorganic Intensive Hair Masque
Bi-Weekly RO:Tresseme Naturals - V.Smooth/N.Moisture
Daily Leave in:Shea Moisture Extra Moisture Detangler
Daily Oil: Olive Oil & Conut Oil Mix
Daily Styler: Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk

Comments

• CurlyInTheFogCurlyInTheFog Posts: 876Registered Users
    I've read it (the previous version). Honestly, I don't think there's much in there that you couldn't find online with a little research. However, I read it after several years of growing my hair long and spending time on the LHC site, so I already knew a lot of the concepts for maintaining healthy hair. If you're new to all that--sulfate-free shampoos, CO, avoiding silicones, etc.--I think it's definitely worthwhile.
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

Suave conditioner, LAL gel
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users
    I've read both versions, not much information in either one of them. The only thing that made the second version worthwhile is the DVD.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chloe92uschloe92us Posts: 1,203Registered Users
    I read the book. If you've read the stickies on this site, and the live curly live free site (I also read her book), the CG book will be extremely remedial.
    2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Salt & Pepper
    Cleanse: AIA cowash, TJ Tea Tree Condish
    Condish: JC Too Shea, Tresemme Botanique
    Stylers: flax/okra gel or KCCC + CJ PP or JC Spiralicious
    Experimenting with Got2B Ultra gel and loving it so far!
  • SpiralSpunkSpiralSpunk Posts: 243Registered Users
    I have the ereader version on my ipad. There wasn't any new-to-me info when I read it because I had already done lots of CG research, but I don't think it's a total waste. The videos are decent although I wished they showed all the hair types. The tips are ok too although they aren't particularly groundbreaking.

I did find the parts about about trimming and color useful and I also appreciate the style section.

I still open the book on occasion just to look at the pictures :)
  • kaykrekaykre Posts: 314Registered Users
    Yep... I agree.

Sent from my VS920 4G using CurlTalk App
    2A/B. Mix of fine, medium, and coarse (mostly medium). Dense. Mix of normal and high porosity.
    Dry climate.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DolphinCurlsDolphinCurls Posts: 370Registered Users
    I read the first book back when I first joined this site. It was informative then, but I've learned even more thanks to the users and the articles on this site. It's good if you are just starting out, but that's about it.
    3A/2C combination of ringlets and waves :nike:
  • NoMorePerfectNoMorePerfect Posts: 14Registered Users
    I bought it after perusing this site for a couple of days. I was not impressed and felt like I had wasted my money. The Live Curly, Live Free eBook was recommended and I thought it was much better and more helpful.
    2C, Normal porosity, medium texture, medium length

Trying to grow hair out for my sister's wedding in June, 2014

Started the CG way - using the Live Free, Live Curly eBook as my guide - July 6, 2013

Yes to Carrots as co-wash, condition, and leave in

Herbal Essences Totally Twisted gel

Cannot wait to try out TJ TTT shampoo and conditioner as soon as I can make a drive to TJ

eao3wz9qn.png
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,061Registered Users
    The CG book really just goes over cowashing/sulfate/silicone stuff. It won't tell you anything about protein-moisture balance, humectants and dew points etc.

I DO have a question though! I got the kindle version of the book and read it on kindle cloud reader on my laptop.... can I still access the stuff on the DVD?
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • KauaiMareCurlKauaiMareCurl Posts: 317Registered Users
    I bought the book before I found this site, so I bought almost all of the Deva products. I pretty much don't use them anymore, having found other stuff I like better (the PJ that I am). I watched the DVD once, so maybe I should watch it again. If I had found this site first, I wouldn't have bought the book :-)
  • turquoisecurlsturquoisecurls Posts: 134Registered Users
    I bought the book first, then the deva products. It was a disaster! When I started researching that failure I found this site!
    The stickies here are sooo much better then the book.
    2c/3a cg 01/10/13

Hair Properties: low( first 4 inches) / high porosity, medium density, fine/medium texture Climate : hot humid summer, coastal GA

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut / Everlasting Sunshine, V05
    Rinse out :Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture, VO5 ocean refresh
    LI: SMCHM ,SMCS, JCRR,
    Gel: La Looks sport, Volumax mega gel,Biosilk Rock Hard gel my HG

Love ACV , pedaheh's gelatin treatment
    My hair hates everything Deva curl and Curl Keeper,
    wavydaze wrote: »
    The CG book really just goes over cowashing/sulfate/silicone stuff. It won't tell you anything about protein-moisture balance, humectants and dew points etc.

I DO have a question though! I got the kindle version of the book and read it on kindle cloud reader on my laptop.... can I still access the stuff on the DVD?

I did watch the DVD, but most of it can be seen on the Deva site, just chopped up into different clips, like the Deva 3 step etc.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mydevacurl.com%2Fcurly_lifestyle%2Fvideos%2Fdo_the_deva_3_step" class="Popup
  • KauaiMareCurlKauaiMareCurl Posts: 317Registered Users
    chloe92us wrote: »

I did watch the DVD, but most of it can be seen on the Deva site, just chopped up into different clips, like the Deva 3 step etc.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mydevacurl.com%2Fcurly_lifestyle%2Fvideos%2Fdo_the_deva_3_step" class="Popup

Thanks for posting this link, now I don't have to find my DVD, lol!
  • rainboerainboe Posts: 284Registered Users
    I've read the latest edition of the book completely. The best things about it are the DVD and all the full color pictures of pretty curly hair. It's also a cute, upbeat book. There are some awful puns and weird curly empowerment stuff. At the end there are a few hair style suggestions with pictures. It was a cheap book, so I don't feel bad about getting it. I agree that most of the info is readily available online, so it's more of a review.
    Fine Texture, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity. Dyed to brown a few months ago.
    Lowpoo: Trader Joe's TTT Shampoo
    Rinse Out:
    Yes to Carrots, AOHR, Aubrey Organics Rosemary Peppermint
    LI: Yes to Carrots
    Stylers: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, LA Looks Sports, Suave Professionals Captivating Curls Whipped Mousse
  • RytokaRytoka Posts: 309Registered Users
    wavydaze wrote: »

I got it on my kindle as well and so far have no luck seeing the videos :(
    Katie
    2C/3a, Medium Texture, Normal porosity, High Density, Normal Elasticity (so says the LCLF Hair analysis)
    Co Wash: As I am
    RO: Yes To Carrots / Ion
    LI: Biotera / Samy Big Curls Defining Cream
    Gel: FSG, Volumax (Original and Mega)
    Color: Henna
    Tools: Diffusing
    :thumright:
    rainboe wrote: »
    I've read the latest edition of the book completely. The best things about it are the DVD and all the full color pictures of pretty curly hair. It's also a cute, upbeat book. There are some awful puns and weird curly empowerment stuff. At the end there are a few hair style suggestions with pictures. It was a cheap book, so I don't feel bad about getting it. I agree that most of the info is readily available online, so it's more of a review.

Perfectly stated- it IS a feel-good book, although I didn't learn much.
  • SamanthascurlzSamanthascurlz Posts: 1,082Registered Users
    The digital book (got it on my iPad) was what pushed me to begin the natural journey. I liked the videos a lot because I am a visual learner. However, I wish I had found this site first because this site is more scientifically specific. The book makes it seem as if you stop using silicones and sulfates your hair will be great (which is partially true), but it's more complicated than that (as we all know). However, on a personal level, I treasure the book because it opened my eyes to being natural. But this site has helped me figure out my hair needs, if that makes sense.
    CG, High Porosity, Fine, Low Density, Medium Elasticity
    Suave, V05, GF Go clean gel, ACV rinses, CO, and Gelatine PT.
    [URL="[url=http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/samanthascurlz-albums-evolvement-my-hair.html]Curls[/url]"][/url]Curls
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,241Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    I own and have read both editions a few times. I love the pics and stories and tho most of the info is available here and elsewhere online, I still like real books (yes, I'm a dinosaur). I learned things from both versions.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • Curly0514Curly0514 Posts: 11Registered Users
    I read the book and it was the start of my curly hair journey. There is a lot more detailed information on this site, but the book is a great starting place. I'm thinking of buying a bunch of them and giving them to my curly friends and relatives.
  • SamanthascurlzSamanthascurlz Posts: 1,082Registered Users
    Curly0514 wrote: »
    I read the book and it was the start of my curly hair journey. There is a lot more detailed information on this site, but the book is a great starting place. I'm thinking of buying a bunch of them and giving them to my curly friends and relatives.

That is a really good idea!
    CG, High Porosity, Fine, Low Density, Medium Elasticity
    Suave, V05, GF Go clean gel, ACV rinses, CO, and Gelatine PT.
    [URL="[url=http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/samanthascurlz-albums-evolvement-my-hair.html]Curls[/url]"][/url]Curls
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,061Registered Users
    rainboe wrote: »
    There are some awful puns

+1
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • HootenannyHootenanny Posts: 300Registered Users
    LOL, the pun thing is so true. I was groaning! You can add me to the list of folks who liked the pictures and stories best. I also thought that a couple of the updo ideas were nice, such as the curly faux-hawk. That is so cute! But I'm updo-challenged, so that part of the book probably won't be new ground to most others. And I agree with KathyMack that the DVD is nice.
    :cat: Medium/coarse, low porosity, dense, mix of 3s :cat:
    CG (again) since Nov. 2012

Cleanse: SM Moisture Retention, Elucence MBC, KC Come Clean
    Condish: Giovanni DL, Cure Care, Ion Treatment, GVP Balm, AOHR
    Protein: AOGPB, CNPF, SSRPT
    Stylers: KCCC, SM Souffle, AOMM, SS CEJ, JCRR, JCCC

:cat: Trying out steaming! :cat:
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users
    Might have to check out the book.
  • KiraSavannahKiraSavannah Posts: 423Registered Users
    I got it today :)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App
    CG/LOC Method's 3b/3c hair SL-Curly/ Goal-MBL Curly:)
    Weekly Poo/Low Poo: some Shea M Poo.
    Weekly Deep Treat-Dermorganic Intensive Hair Masque
    Bi-Weekly RO:Tresseme Naturals - V.Smooth/N.Moisture
    Daily Leave in:Shea Moisture Extra Moisture Detangler
    Daily Oil: Olive Oil & Conut Oil Mix
    Daily Styler: Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk
  • wheretostartwheretostart Posts: 244Registered Users
    I bought the Kindle version. I enjoyed the videos and the info. I tried CG awhile back and tried to do it on the cheap - I am glad I got the book - It reinforced some of the things I already knew, and I learned a few things that I missed the first time around.
    3A/2C fine, normal porosity & elasticity, medium high density

Current products:
    YTCucs Color Protection Low poo
    GVP Conditioning Balm
    Random gels - not sure which ones I like, if any at this point!

HG Summer Routine:
    poo - TMW Hydrate
    RO & LI - Darcy's Pumpkin Seed
    Leave in Products: CHSCK & LALMG
    PT - CJ RM
    DT - EVCO

Currently trying to figure out a winter routine and transition to a less harsh "poo" for summer.
  • anonymous_133347anonymous_133347 Posts: 1,426Registered Users
    A lot of it might be old hat, but I think it's great for newbies. I think the Live Curly Live Free ebook is awesome though.
    3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
    Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
    Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
    Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG

• nitagurlnitagurl Posts: 7Registered Users
    It's true - a lot of the information in The Curly Girl Handbook can be found on various forums, blogs, and websites without problem.

After all, the authors didn't "invent" curly hair care.

But it's still convenient to have all of that information in one spot for future reference, so I still recommend it as a good buy.

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users
    While I agree that you can learn much of the information in Curly Girl: The Handbook online, I still think the book is quite worthwhile. For one thing, it does define Curly Girling, because, yes, the author did come up with the method.

If you just skip around, and read the parts you think apply to your hair, you can miss a lot. Even after CGing for years, and having read the original book when I started, I found the current (second) edition worthwhile, and learned a lot from it. I don't find the curl classification system at all helpful, so I was willing to try suggestions for other hair types, and found a number which were helpful, thanks to reading from cover to cover.

I also think that the illustrations and videos are very clear and easy to follow. While you may be able to pick up on some of it on YouTube, the photography, clarity, and succinctness of the videos on the accompanying DVD makes them really stand out, and make it much easier to get a full understanding of the techniques presented. The section on trimming your own hair is IMO worth far more than the price of admission. (I will never again lose years of growth because some idiot doesn't have enough sense to realize s/he hasn't a clue how to cut curly hair, or be placed in the humiliating position of leaving a hair salon looking like I've been hit with a weedwacker.)

Tiffany Anderson's book, Live Curly, Live Free, is also extremely helpful. The information is definitely more technical and scientific. Personally, I think the two books compliment each other, and neither is expensive. For a combined total of something like $20, I got both, and I'm happy to have both of them, but I'm glad that I started with Curly Girl.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • PuertoricangirlPuertoricangirl Posts: 428Registered Users
    I read it and love it. 💕
    3A/3B Fine/Medium curly, Low Porosity, Medium density, long length.

*Shampoo & Conditioner: Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and shine
    *Leave-in: Kinky Curly Knot Today and GVP Condtioning Balm
    *Cream Stylers: Shea Moisture Curl enhancing smoothie, Coconut and hibiscus styling milk
    Gels: L.A Looks Sports Gel, and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    *Serum: Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper

:blob7:
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Posts: 622Registered Users
    I have read both books but have learned way more on this website.

I actually recommend the book for newbies as a starting point.

All the info on curly hair can be had right here!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo
    Co-wash: Suave, Vo5, HE, Aussie Moist
    Deep Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's)
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Coconut Oil, Almond Oil, Jojoba Oil.
    Methods: Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
  • kleinehexekleinehexe Posts: 80Registered Users
    I bought it and read it. Now I wish I'd used that money to buy the LCLF ebook.