We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

My TV just died. Can someone please explain...

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,983Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Never mind. Someone just told me what I needed to know. :)
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• CurlswirlCurlswirl Posts: 526Registered Users
    Hi CP--I just wanted to let you know that I think Samsung makes great flat screen TVs. Everyone in my family has one and we all love them.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,983Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Good to know! I am off to look at PC Richards and Best Buy. I will definitely check out the Samsung.

Buying this doesn't count as a guilty pleasure - I mean it's fine but doesn't give me a thrill. I like watching tv (too much) but only pretty things get me excited. But I am truly grateful that I can afford it!
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Can you educate us?? All I know is I'm supposed to avoid plasma...for some reason...even tho, I prefer the look of a plasma image and they are cheaper.

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,862Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Plasmas used to have an issue with images burning in the screen. Not so much anymore and most have a white wash feature if you do get some burning.

Still a much better picture then LCD.

If you're a big movie/sports watcher, LED is a fantastic picture. A little pricier though if your just watching regular TV.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Plasmas used to have an issue with images burning in the screen. Not so much anymore and most have a white wash feature if you do get some burning.

If you're a big movie/sports watcher, LED is a fantastic picture. A little pricier though if your just watching regular TV.

Thnx! So you believe plasma is a good investment now?

I'm going to buy Samsung - thank you Curlswirl. :love4:

I have to buy something 25" width (not the screen, the entire tv width) or less.

It narrowed down to Toshiba vs. Samsung and Samsung gets better reviews (incl. Curlswirl LOL).

Does anyone know if I should get the "protection plan" or is that a ripoff? Choices, choices, choices! I feel like a ditz. Not sure what a ditz is, but I feel like one.
    Get the Samsung CP! I only buy a protection plan if the electronic purchase is very expensive. My guess is the TV won't be that expensive. I saw a Samsung LED 22" for $150 at PCRichard.com ! It was tempting to me:) What size TV are you buying?
    Either the 22" or a 26 & 3/8ths inch one. I didn't see a 22" at Best Buy or PC Richard, but that would fit perfectly if I can find it. The 26 & 3/8ths is just a hair bigger than the Sharp I have now, at 25 and my fear is that I would knock into it and knock it down, but probably not.

I have to see if I can locate the 22".

Thanks so much for the great advice about the protection plan! Excellent help - much appreciated!

I'll let you know what I get. :)
    :notworthy: TY :icescream:
    CP--I am not sure if you can get this great price on the Samsung at the store. You might need to buy it online. But sometimes stores do a pricematch if they have it in stock.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,862Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur

Thnx! So you believe plasma is a good investment now?

Totally!!! I got my Dad a 50" for Christmas and the picture still amazes me compared to my LCD.

Keep in mind though, that BluRay and HDMI make a HUGE difference. Stores will set up their pricier TVs with those so they look best. Easy to recreate that picture at home :)

The only down falls for a plasma are the glass screen. If you're a day time TV watcher, in a sunny room the glare can be annoying and if you have kids prone to throwing things, you can shatter the screen where the others may just scratch.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    I bought the Samsung 29" (diagonal screen size). :blob3: It is 26" across so it will just fit. I have to wait until it is set up but I'm excited.

I haven't bought a new tv in about 15 years.
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 8,753Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    This thread is timely. Jim and I are planning on buying a flat screen for the living room. 50" maybe if not larger. We are also talking about getting a small one for the kitchen, maybe 19". This guy is so addicted to sports and can't miss a game.:tongue3:

Glad you got your tv CP! Enjoy.....:occasion7:
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    The title of this thread looks like "MTV just died". confusing
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users
    Can you educate us?? All I know is I'm supposed to avoid plasma...for some reason...even tho, I prefer the look of a plasma image and they are cheaper.

I recently did a large amount of reading on this matter. My TV of 10 years was going, and I wanted to get 3D smart tv. I debated Plasma vs. LED, and ultimately did not make my choice until I saw them in the store.

What CC said is true. Plasma *used* to have a large problem with image retention. It could ruin your picture if you didn't burn in the tv properly. Even though that has been improved, you can still get image retention, but it won't last as long. It is still recommended that you break/burn in your plasma for 150-200 hours, to make sure you have no issues. You can do that by getting burn images, which is just hours of a color slide show, or by watching regular tv that does not contain letter box or static images. That is a little tricky, considering that most networks leave their annoying logo on the screen 24-7 now. You are also asked to avoid playing video games, again especially ones with static images like a health bar, etc, for the first 200. You basically just need to turn your tv on at night and let it go, for a week.

As CC said, plasmas have glass screens and they are not as good in bright rooms. They are made for more dark locations. They also run hotter, and are not as energy efficient. When you have the tv calibrated properly (which you can have professionally done by the store you buy it from (sometimes for free) or look up the settings yourself provided by some videophile guru's. it's breeze), the picture is hands down the best. They have the truest blacks, and most realistic picture, BUT LED is just as good imo. I ended up going with the Samsung LED, 3D, Smart TV. I love it!! I didn't have to worry about breaking it in, I could go straight to my video games, and watch movies letter box if need be.

LED can still have it's own issues. You'll get flash lighting in the 4 corners with some, but mine has been perfect. I had been planning on going big or going home. Lol. Glad I did.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ultimately, the thing that won me over, was the style. The Samsung I got has this fine, silver, frame. It's all screen, and beautiful. I just had a feeling Plasma wouldn't be the best for me either. I am a heavy gamer, though they have greatly improved in that area.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    curlypearl wrote: »
    I bought the Samsung 29" (diagonal screen size). :blob3: It is 26" across so it will just fit. I have to wait until it is set up but I'm excited.

I haven't bought a new tv in about 15 years.

I hope you are enjoying it! It is exciting. My prehistoric box tv died 10 years ago. It was a good tv, had an excellent pic, and I had it repaired (for nothing) twice. I miss those days when they were not made to be disposable :( but it was time to upgrade. The price on a 36 inch LCD was high when I bought mine, but I had some money saved and got it. It was perfect for me at that time. As they advanced, I made up my mind that I wanted 3D, and something a little bigger, but only when mine died. Not before! I watch a ton of tv, and am a huge movie buff, so it's a good investment. And a fun new toy!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yippee - wonderful TV! Thanks Fifi! it's a little bigger (29") than the one I had before but it seems HUGE. I haven't had a chance to look at more than 10 mins. but tonight I will be goggle eyed. :eek:

Bonus, it's sexy! Really great lines on this set. 2nd bonus - I made my apt. extraordinarily neat so my nephew who installed it would be impressed. Wow, my apt. is purty. I feel like a queen. :sunny:
    That's so exciting CP....Hope he shows up this time to help you. Jim and I are moving to our new place this weekend, so we'll be tv shopping very soon. We know nothing so this thread has been very helpful. He has a friend at a place (can't remember which one) so we should be able to get a discount. From what I'm reading I think the LED will be the best choice for us. I hadn't considered the Samsung, but I am now. Nice to know about the glass screen showing reflections. We are big movie buffs, so we'll be watching a lot of tv when we aren't at the movies.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
    Got to love a sexy set. ;)

It's really hard getting a good feel for plasma in the stores because of all the overhead lights, but that is a concern. If you're in a place with several windows, you'd have to shut the curtains or blinds to watch. That stinks, but they would be perfect for a basement game/entertain room or ...

My friend has a giant old plasma. It is a massive floor model, and one of the first they came out with. It always drove me crazy because it's way too big for his house, you are too close to it, and you could see the pixilation at times. It's not easy to watch in the day at all.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ^ but that said... He's had it for 14 years or so, and it's going strong.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I wish I could remember the name... I went into shock and forgot it. Begins with an O perhaps. Eh! It's a brand of tv I would love to see in person. It is top of the line. A 20" screen runs around $10,000. They have a 55" that is curved. The sides wrap around and it gives you the feeling of being surrounded by the movie. That is $25,000 +. Insanity, and only in my wildest, I won the lottery, dreams.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The two flatscreens I have are LED and aren't huge. But when my current dinosaur in the family room dies, I was planning to replace it w/ a 70 inch over the mantle. It's tacky, I know, but it's just the family room, not the living room. If I invest in something like that, I want to get the best value for my money (quality/price=value).

• mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    We have a Pioneer plasma tv that we got 5 years ago. We haven't had any problems with burn-in and it's still going strong. The minute we saw it in the store, we knew we had to have it, the picture was that good.

We also have two Samsung LEDs. We have two because hubby bought one for his apartment where he works. After just over a year (of course it was after the warranty ran out) the screen went black and the idiots at Best Buy said it would cost more to repair than to just buy a new one. For whatever reason, hubby bought another Samsung. On a whim, he took the first tv to a regular tv repair place just to see what they would say. They replaced a part and fixed it for $100.

Anyway, there is no comparison between the plasma and the LED but, for the price, the Samsungs are pretty good. I recommend shopping around at both regular and high-end home theatre stores to get a feel for what's out there and what to look for.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
    The two flatscreens I have are LED and aren't huge. But when my current dinosaur in the family room dies, I was planning to replace it w/ a 70 inch over the mantle. It's tacky, I know, but it's just the family room, not the living room. If I invest in something like that, I want to get the best value for my money (quality/price=value).

At the B&B we stayed at in Sedona the owner had a large flat screen above his fireplace in his private living quarters. It looked like a framed picture and the picture inside the frame slid up to reveal the tv screen. The frame framed the tv screen. It was really cool.
    From Michael Berg:

Absolutely! If I went with the plasma (which was a pioneer and is the best plasma brand) I was going to get a 60". I kept looking at it, and kept looking at the Samsung right beside it, which was 55". I had read up on both brands, with Samsung being the leading LED. My living room is not small, but it's not huge either, and everything kept pointing toward the 55" Samsung. It looked beautiful, and the size was a bit better for my area. I probably spent 45 minutes standing in front of them, looking like I was watching tennis.

Also, the Samsung is the active shutter stereoscopic 3D that gives the impression of depth and things coming at you, and the Plasma is full on flying toward your face. I love both, but I decided to go with the mix

Upgrading from a 36", the 55" seems massive to me.

ETA: When it comes time to buy, there are a blue million really helpful tech forums.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lotsawaves wrote: »

At the B&B we stayed at in Sedona the owner had a large flat screen above his fireplace in his private living quarters. It looked like a framed picture and the picture inside the frame slid up to reveal the tv screen. The frame framed the tv screen. It was really cool.

I would love it if I could disguise that kind of monstrosity w/ a tasteful object d'art!

Did this guy supply his own painting to cover the tv or did the tv come w/ the painting?

• curly66curly66 Posts: 161Registered Users
    Last year we bought a Samsung Plasma 3D Smart TV. We love our television. The picture is amazing. I never thought I would buy a plasma either. But when I saw the TVs side-by-side I preferred the plasma picture.

We have ours in our living room not too far from sliding glass doors and we have not had a problem with glare or burn-in.
    Curl Type: 3B/C thick shoulder length brunette
    Favorite Products: Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner, Biotera Styling Gel found @ Sally's, Trader Joe's Nourish, Shea Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Spider, I'm not sure. I didn't ask him. It was a pic of the Sedona mountains. I did ask him how he did that and he just said with a lot of money.
    From Michael Berg:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file