CurlTalk

Healing a broken bone?

asugirlasugirl Posts: 937Registered Users
I messed up and broke my foot - my first broken bone! Thought it was just a sprain because in spite of the swelling and bruising, it didn't hurt that much. I think I was in denial because it's my driving foot and it being broken would mean more limitation in my life, which I fight. But I finally went for an xray and unfortunately, the fifth metatarsal on my right foot has a spiral fracture. So far, no surgery, just a boot and probably some bone stimulation in office. Now that the swelling is going down, it's hurting a lot more.

You guys are always such a wealth of information, so I am asking for any and all suggestions on how to heal this little foot bone quickly. I'm pretty healthy but would love any info you can provide. I normally get called 'the roadrunner' cause I tend to walk fast, so this is definately a change for me, so thanks for anything you can suggest.

2c/3a - fine - medium porosity & density

Comments

  • apolloapollo Posts: 114Registered Users
    Hi,

    I had 7 surgeries on my left and right 5th metatarsals, 4 on the right foot and 3 on the left. Because I was in the military and was back on my feet so quick I didn't give me feet time to heal. What made my bone heal is the in home bone growth stimulator by Smith and Nephew my military insurance Tricare paid for it, which I am happy because they are expensive. If your insurance won't cover it I seen some units on eBay with very limited use. Hope this info can help you. Try to stay off your feet.
    3C curly/wavy/kinky hair.
  • asugirlasugirl Posts: 937Registered Users
    apollo wrote: »
    Hi,

    I had 7 surgeries on my left and right 5th metatarsals, 4 on the right foot and 3 on the left. Because I was in the military and was back on my feet so quick I didn't give me feet time to heal. What made my bone heal is the in home bone growth stimulator by Smith and Nephew my military insurance Tricare paid for it, which I am happy because they are expensive. If your insurance won't cover it I seen some units on eBay with very limited use. Hope this info can help you. Try to stay off your feet.

    Wow, seven? And all for fifth metatarsal fractures, ouch! Which branch were you? Did they do the surgeries so they could get you back to work quicker? My husband was AF for 14 years and we only had bad luck with military surgery - in fact they almost killed me a few times. I had four surgeries in one year for something called a bartholins cyst and it's been a nightmare ever since - really long and bad story. This was about 20 years ago. Anyway, thanks much for your reply and letting me know about the home stimulator - the doc is supposedly setting it up for me for me to come in for it but if I could do it myself at home, even better!

    2c/3a - fine - medium porosity & density
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    Balanced wholefood diet: protein little and often from breakfast, mineral rich foods (especially magnesium and calcium), bioavailable vitamin D (oily fish or sunlight), anti inflammatory/ antioxidant/ vitamin C rich foods (esp. oily fish, low sugar fruits, non starchy vegetables in bright and dark colours).
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

    CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • asugirlasugirl Posts: 937Registered Users
    Balanced wholefood diet: protein little and often from breakfast, mineral rich foods (especially magnesium and calcium), bioavailable vitamin D (oily fish or sunlight), anti inflammatory/ antioxidant/ vitamin C rich foods (esp. oily fish, low sugar fruits, non starchy vegetables in bright and dark colours).

    Thanks Firefox7275! Looks like a lot of what I eat and take already - just need to increase some stuff and add some minerals I'm not already taking. Injuries and illness can definately get you to fine-tune what you do.

    2c/3a - fine - medium porosity & density
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    Need a lot of mag so the calcium can do it's job. Our body holds on to cal so we dont need to supplement but we burn thru mag very quickly and our soil is depleted so our food doesnt contain the nutrients it used to. you want a quality form like mag malate or mag glycinate. Want to start slow. Using mag oil on the injury will help too.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    I think avoiding re-injury is crucial for healing toes. It takes a full 6 weeks to knit a bone, 8 weeks for folks over 40.
  • asugirlasugirl Posts: 937Registered Users
    Need a lot of mag so the calcium can do it's job. Our body holds on to cal so we dont need to supplement but we burn thru mag very quickly and our soil is depleted so our food doesnt contain the nutrients it used to. you want a quality form like mag malate or mag glycinate. Want to start slow. Using mag oil on the injury will help too.

    Thanks - you reminded me to take the good mag! :thumbright: I learned some good info from you on a fibromyalgia thread. I have bone loss already from my mom's side of the family, so I have learned some stuff about bone growth minerals and best types of calcium. Probably shouldn't be surprised to have my first break with this in mind. So if I use mag oil directly on the skin above the fracture it will help?

    2c/3a - fine - medium porosity & density
  • asugirlasugirl Posts: 937Registered Users
    I think avoiding re-injury is crucial for healing toes. It takes a full 6 weeks to knit a bone, 8 weeks for folks over 40.

    Oh boy, since I'm an old folk it will be closer to eight? I have decided that I am going for world record bone growth since I can't stand this restricted movement for very long - I am trying everything I can to make it happen. My husband says I am not a very patient person - he's probably right. This is probably a blessing in disguise because it's making me re-learn how to counteract my bone loss ;).

    2c/3a - fine - medium porosity & density
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    asugirl wrote: »
    I think avoiding re-injury is crucial for healing toes. It takes a full 6 weeks to knit a bone, 8 weeks for folks over 40.

    Oh boy, since I'm an old folk it will be closer to eight? I have decided that I am going for world record bone growth since I can't stand this restricted movement for very long - I am trying everything I can to make it happen. My husband says I am not a very patient person - he's probably right. This is probably a blessing in disguise because it's making me re-learn how to counteract my bone loss ;).


    I think you will probably be disappointed and experience setback if you start using that broken piggie too soon. Maybe take up swimming during the healing period...you can still cover many miles, without the re-injury.
  • asugirlasugirl Posts: 937Registered Users
    asugirl wrote: »
    I think avoiding re-injury is crucial for healing toes. It takes a full 6 weeks to knit a bone, 8 weeks for folks over 40.

    Oh boy, since I'm an old folk it will be closer to eight? I have decided that I am going for world record bone growth since I can't stand this restricted movement for very long - I am trying everything I can to make it happen. My husband says I am not a very patient person - he's probably right. This is probably a blessing in disguise because it's making me re-learn how to counteract my bone loss ;).


    I think you will probably be disappointed and experience setback if you start using that broken piggie too soon. Maybe take up swimming during the healing period...you can still cover many miles, without the re-injury.

    I'm gonna be good and wear my boot and not get crazy - don't want it taking any longer than it should. I just want to do whatever I can to get this healed. I don't have a pool but I can go to a public pool nearby - just have to fight the kiddies for the lap lane!

    eta - it's actually the whole top of the right side of my foot that hurts - the fifth metatarsal fractured mid-shaft.

    2c/3a - fine - medium porosity & density
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users
    I don't know all of the details, but my SIL said bone broth helps promote healing. She said it has to cook for 24 hrs. I know that wasn't much help, but maybe you can google. I hope it heals soon.

    Sent from my SCH-S720C using CurlTalk App
  • asugirlasugirl Posts: 937Registered Users
    ruralcurls wrote: »
    I don't know all of the details, but my SIL said bone broth helps promote healing. She said it has to cook for 24 hrs. I know that wasn't much help, but maybe you can google. I hope it heals soon.

    Sent from my SCH-S720C using CurlTalk App

    Thanks ruralcurls - sounds like a good idea - just got to find out where I can get some good healthy soup bones to boil (I hear that 'healthy' is the object here)!

    2c/3a - fine - medium porosity & density
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users
    My SIL brought me some and I completely forgot to ask for more details. I am sorry.

    However, even though this is for the gut, I think it could help.


    How to Make Nourishing Beef Bone Broth to Help Heal Your Gut

    I will see what else I can come up with.
  • asugirlasugirl Posts: 937Registered Users
    ruralcurls wrote: »
    My SIL brought me some and I completely forgot to ask for more details. I am sorry.

    However, even though this is for the gut, I think it could help.


    How to Make Nourishing Beef Bone Broth to Help Heal Your Gut

    I will see what else I can come up with.

    Thanks for your efforts, you're sweet. I read online that unless you find bones from grass-fed cows, you probably shouldn't bother - too many hormones and other chemicals in corn fed. The only place I can think of that has grass fed is Whole Foods. When I can get there I will try them. :)

    2c/3a - fine - medium porosity & density
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    asugirl wrote: »
    Need a lot of mag so the calcium can do it's job. Our body holds on to cal so we dont need to supplement but we burn thru mag very quickly and our soil is depleted so our food doesnt contain the nutrients it used to. you want a quality form like mag malate or mag glycinate. Want to start slow. Using mag oil on the injury will help too.

    Thanks - you reminded me to take the good mag! :thumbright: I learned some good info from you on a fibromyalgia thread. I have bone loss already from my mom's side of the family, so I have learned some stuff about bone growth minerals and best types of calcium. Probably shouldn't be surprised to have my first break with this in mind. So if I use mag oil directly on the skin above the fracture it will help?

    Yes you can use it directly on the affected area. Even better spray all over feet and legs and allow to dry. It has to dry to fully absorb. Then you wipe off the residue, if any.
    With calcium, if you're not providing enough mag, k2, and other cofactors, it can't do it's thing. So much more complicated than most drs say. LOL
    Strontium: A Better Way to Build Bones :: Suzy Cohen ~ Dear Pharmacist, Inc.
    Here's some info on osteoporosis Osteoporosis | Nutritional Magnesium Association

    Good luck to you. Broken toes aren't fun.
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 8,660Registered Users
    We are both here in AZ and we both have broken bones. :tongue3: I broke my little toe about 4 weeks ago. It's finally feeling better, but not 100% yet. I had a trip to Vegas planned and couldn't wear any of my heels, so I had to buy dressy flip flops. (yes, they do make them!)

    Not sure what you can do to speed the healing along. I think it just takes time and staying off your feet as much as possible. I was just getting into hiking with Jim, so I switched over to swimming. I started off using a noodle for support, but now the toe's healed enough I can go without it.

    Sending healing vibes your way......
    From Michael Berg:

    Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • asugirlasugirl Posts: 937Registered Users
    Lotsawaves wrote: »
    We are both here in AZ and we both have broken bones. :tongue3: I broke my little toe about 4 weeks ago. It's finally feeling better, but not 100% yet. I had a trip to Vegas planned and couldn't wear any of my heels, so I had to buy dressy flip flops. (yes, they do make them!)

    Not sure what you can do to speed the healing along. I think it just takes time and staying off your feet as much as possible. I was just getting into hiking with Jim, so I switched over to swimming. I started off using a noodle for support, but now the toe's healed enough I can go without it.

    Sending healing vibes your way......

    Thanks Lotsa! Wearing this boot in 110 degrees is not fun. So the bone that leads up to your pinky toe, the long one? That's your fifth metatarsal, and that's the one that fractured. Watch out for water on the floors of produce departments, I think a slip and twist at Fry's did me in. I had sprained my foot a couple weeks prior, but a broken bone like this feels very different than a sprain. I now know for the first time! Just went to the pod doc and he says maybe 4 months. I say heck no, I can do it faster! But patience is the key, I know.

    2c/3a - fine - medium porosity & density
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 8,660Registered Users
    4 months! Damn, it's not getting any cooler here. Definitely get into the pool for any exercising.

    I had a love seat in my living room that took up too much room. I jammed my little toe on it twice. On the third jam it broke. Jim got rid of it. :evil1:
    From Michael Berg:

    Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • asugirlasugirl Posts: 937Registered Users
    There's been a few times I jammed up my little toe on my right foot. Thought it was broken but the doc wouldn't even x-ray it, just told me to tape it to the toe next to it. Wish that was all it took now.

    2c/3a - fine - medium porosity & density
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 8,660Registered Users
    I taped mine for awhile. I can't imagine breaking the foot. I'm surprised it didn't hurt you more at the time.
    From Michael Berg:

    Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • asugirlasugirl Posts: 937Registered Users
    It's a weird feeling, kind of like an ache right in the area of the fracture. With a sprain I usually feel an overall soreness, this seems more centered right in that specific area. What complicates things is it's my right foot - so driving gets very complicated :(

    2c/3a - fine - medium porosity & density
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    asugirl wrote: »
    Balanced wholefood diet: protein little and often from breakfast, mineral rich foods (especially magnesium and calcium), bioavailable vitamin D (oily fish or sunlight), anti inflammatory/ antioxidant/ vitamin C rich foods (esp. oily fish, low sugar fruits, non starchy vegetables in bright and dark colours).

    Thanks Firefox7275! Looks like a lot of what I eat and take already - just need to increase some stuff and add some minerals I'm not already taking. Injuries and illness can definately get you to fine-tune what you do.

    Aim to eat your nutrients not supplement them, nutrients work synergistically and in opposition so random supplementing can actually do more harm than good. Supplements should be just that, a supplement or insurance policy for an already healthy diet. If you must take micronutrients take a single complete multivitamin and mineral NOT hair skin and nails or antioxidant Selenium ACE or whatever.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

    CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • asugirlasugirl Posts: 937Registered Users
    asugirl wrote: »
    Balanced wholefood diet: protein little and often from breakfast, mineral rich foods (especially magnesium and calcium), bioavailable vitamin D (oily fish or sunlight), anti inflammatory/ antioxidant/ vitamin C rich foods (esp. oily fish, low sugar fruits, non starchy vegetables in bright and dark colours).

    Thanks Firefox7275! Looks like a lot of what I eat and take already - just need to increase some stuff and add some minerals I'm not already taking. Injuries and illness can definately get you to fine-tune what you do.

    Aim to eat your nutrients not supplement them, nutrients work synergistically and in opposition so random supplementing can actually do more harm than good. Supplements should be just that, a supplement or insurance policy for an already healthy diet. If you must take micronutrients take a single complete multivitamin and mineral NOT hair skin and nails or antioxidant Selenium ACE or whatever.

    I agree with that. I learned about nutrition young because my dad developed heart disease early - first heart attack at age 48. Our family became heart healthy and ate accordingly. My only weak spot is always having the time to cook and shop the way I know I should. I do concentrate on fruits, vegetables, and lean meat. I tend to want to learn everything I can when I am facing a challenge - thanks for your tips!

    2c/3a - fine - medium porosity & density
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    Like with mag you have to supplement separately. Cant get enough in a multi or thru your diet alone because our soils are depleted. I agree that the majority of our nutrients should come thru food but thats very difficult and multi vitamins cannot possibly provide everything we need in 1 pill. Then we absolutely need to supplement with certain nutrients for optimal health
  • apolloapollo Posts: 114Registered Users
    asugirl wrote: »
    apollo wrote: »
    Hi,

    I had 7 surgeries on my left and right 5th metatarsals, 4 on the right foot and 3 on the left. Because I was in the military and was back on my feet so quick I didn't give me feet time to heal. What made my bone heal is the in home bone growth stimulator by Smith and Nephew my military insurance Tricare paid for it, which I am happy because they are expensive. If your insurance won't cover it I seen some units on eBay with very limited use. Hope this info can help you. Try to stay off your feet.

    Wow, seven? And all for fifth metatarsal fractures, ouch! Which branch were you? Did they do the surgeries so they could get you back to work quicker? My husband was AF for 14 years and we only had bad luck with military surgery - in fact they almost killed me a few times. I had four surgeries in one year for something called a bartholins cyst and it's been a nightmare ever since - really long and bad story. This was about 20 years ago. Anyway, thanks much for your reply and letting me know about the home stimulator - the doc is supposedly setting it up for me for me to come in for it but if I could do it myself at home, even better!

    Sorry for getting back to you so late. I was in the Army for 9 years. The first two surgeries were done when with a Naval doctor when I was stationed in Italy. I went back to work about 4 weeks later. The next surgeries were done by civilian doctors. My main problem was going back on my feet to fast without allowing my bone to heal properly. After I received the bone growth stimulator my bone healed perfectly.

    Ouch, I heard of the surgery that you had, four time wow! My friend and my niece had one. I hope you are better now and the cyst is resolved.
    3C curly/wavy/kinky hair.
  • asugirlasugirl Posts: 937Registered Users
    apollo wrote: »
    asugirl wrote: »
    apollo wrote: »
    Hi,

    I had 7 surgeries on my left and right 5th metatarsals, 4 on the right foot and 3 on the left. Because I was in the military and was back on my feet so quick I didn't give me feet time to heal. What made my bone heal is the in home bone growth stimulator by Smith and Nephew my military insurance Tricare paid for it, which I am happy because they are expensive. If your insurance won't cover it I seen some units on eBay with very limited use. Hope this info can help you. Try to stay off your feet.

    Wow, seven? And all for fifth metatarsal fractures, ouch! Which branch were you? Did they do the surgeries so they could get you back to work quicker? My husband was AF for 14 years and we only had bad luck with military surgery - in fact they almost killed me a few times. I had four surgeries in one year for something called a bartholins cyst and it's been a nightmare ever since - really long and bad story. This was about 20 years ago. Anyway, thanks much for your reply and letting me know about the home stimulator - the doc is supposedly setting it up for me for me to come in for it but if I could do it myself at home, even better!

    Sorry for getting back to you so late. I was in the Army for 9 years. The first two surgeries were done when with a Naval doctor when I was stationed in Italy. I went back to work about 4 weeks later. The next surgeries were done by civilian doctors. My main problem was going back on my feet to fast without allowing my bone to heal properly. After I received the bone growth stimulator my bone healed perfectly.

    Ouch, I heard of the surgery that you had, four time wow! My friend and my niece had one. I hope you are better now and the cyst is resolved.

    I appreciate your reply, Apollo, no problem it being late! I go back for an x-ray in about ten days and I am praying that the BGS is helping enough to show. I have been walking in my boot from the start - it hasn't hurt and crutches are just about impossible for me - I'm small and they hurt too much and were too long. When you say the BGS helped your bone to heal perfectly, were you using it after you started walking? Did you have a cast or a boot? I am sorry to bombard you with questions - this is a first for me and I have a really hard time staying still so I want to heal quickly :) so thanks!

    2c/3a - fine - medium porosity & density
  • apolloapollo Posts: 114Registered Users
    asugirl wrote: »
    apollo wrote: »
    asugirl wrote: »

    Wow, seven? And all for fifth metatarsal fractures, ouch! Which branch were you? Did they do the surgeries so they could get you back to work quicker? My husband was AF for 14 years and we only had bad luck with military surgery - in fact they almost killed me a few times. I had four surgeries in one year for something called a bartholins cyst and it's been a nightmare ever since - really long and bad story. This was about 20 years ago. Anyway, thanks much for your reply and letting me know about the home stimulator - the doc is supposedly setting it up for me for me to come in for it but if I could do it myself at home, even better!

    Sorry for getting back to you so late. I was in the Army for 9 years. The first two surgeries were done when with a Naval doctor when I was stationed in Italy. I went back to work about 4 weeks later. The next surgeries were done by civilian doctors. My main problem was going back on my feet to fast without allowing my bone to heal properly. After I received the bone growth stimulator my bone healed perfectly.

    Ouch, I heard of the surgery that you had, four time wow! My friend and my niece had one. I hope you are better now and the cyst is resolved.

    I appreciate your reply, Apollo, no problem it being late! I go back for an x-ray in about ten days and I am praying that the BGS is helping enough to show. I have been walking in my boot from the start - it hasn't hurt and crutches are just about impossible for me - I'm small and they hurt too much and were too long. When you say the BGS helped your bone to heal perfectly, were you using it after you started walking? Did you have a cast or a boot? I am sorry to bombard you with questions - this is a first for me and I have a really hard time staying still so I want to heal quickly :) so thanks!

    It's ok for the questions. I started using it before and after I started walking on it. My first few surgeries I had a regular soft surgical shoe. My last surgery I had a boot that had a pump thing on it to make a tighter with lots of support, I think it was important for me to have. I hope your x-ray looks good.
    3C curly/wavy/kinky hair.
  • asugirlasugirl Posts: 937Registered Users
    apollo wrote: »
    asugirl wrote: »
    apollo wrote: »

    Sorry for getting back to you so late. I was in the Army for 9 years. The first two surgeries were done when with a Naval doctor when I was stationed in Italy. I went back to work about 4 weeks later. The next surgeries were done by civilian doctors. My main problem was going back on my feet to fast without allowing my bone to heal properly. After I received the bone growth stimulator my bone healed perfectly.

    Ouch, I heard of the surgery that you had, four time wow! My friend and my niece had one. I hope you are better now and the cyst is resolved.

    I appreciate your reply, Apollo, no problem it being late! I go back for an x-ray in about ten days and I am praying that the BGS is helping enough to show. I have been walking in my boot from the start - it hasn't hurt and crutches are just about impossible for me - I'm small and they hurt too much and were too long. When you say the BGS helped your bone to heal perfectly, were you using it after you started walking? Did you have a cast or a boot? I am sorry to bombard you with questions - this is a first for me and I have a really hard time staying still so I want to heal quickly :) so thanks!

    It's ok for the questions. I started using it before and after I started walking on it. My first few surgeries I had a regular soft surgical shoe. My last surgery I had a boot that had a pump thing on it to make a tighter with lots of support, I think it was important for me to have. I hope your x-ray looks good.

    Thank you - really appreciate your help. I wish I had the pump - I have the smallest boot and still have to stuff a sock down the back of it to make it snug. I tried the kid size but the length was too short. Just hoping I'm doing enough stuff right.

    2c/3a - fine - medium porosity & density