CurlTalk

MopTop Curly Custard

GreatcurlsGreatcurls Posts: 1,782Registered Users
On the road (and in the air) again, but I wanted to share my impressions of MopTop's latest styling product, Curly Custard: Wow! and it's a keeper! If you want definition, elongation, and something that's resistant to high humidity, you'll like this.

A little goes a long way, and once in your hair, it slicks out any tangles. And it dries quickly while leaving a shine. If you use too much, just use a little water on it or let the steam from the shower soften your hair. It's water soluble, dries clear, and "plays well" with leave-ins.
Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
This list is not exhaustive...:happy3:
CoWash: various
DT: various

Leave-in
: CR L/I Collection, various
Stylers:MC Leave-in, Gorilla Snot
Spritz/Sealant:Nu-Gro spray w/moisturizer
*experimenting and loving it!

Comments

• suns4i6esuns4i6e Posts: 77Registered Users
    I agree with everything Greatcurls said and more. This is a wonderful styler that has knocked my beloved KCCC, that I've been using for years, right off its pedestal.

It has a lovely citrus scent, is absorbed well by hair, provides great definition, hold and shine. I've been out of the pj game for a while, so I'm not sure what current product to which I could compare it but the consistency is thick, slippery and spreadable. Not at all as sticky as KCCC.

My hair is 3C, fine, low porosity, cottony. I like a lot of hold with stylers so I use a moderate amount, and this provides it. For a lighter hold, I'm sure one could just use less. It has stood up to the rainy, humid, high dews in Georgia like a champ.

I have nothing but good things to say about this product in the 3 weeks I’ve been using it exclusively.
  • CurlsnswirlsCurlsnswirls Posts: 865Registered Users
    Oh no... I did not just open this thread :confused1:
    Now I have to try this..:shock:

:toothy7:
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users
    I've been trying not to buy more, I have so much! However, this looks really good.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sKorpio1190sKorpio1190 Posts: 1,862Registered Users
    kathymack wrote: »
    I've been trying not to buy more, I have so much! However, this looks really good.

Do you have any samples?

-normal porosity/texture/elasticity-
    Medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity :shock:

Do you have any samples?

-normal porosity/texture/elasticity-

Just read about it this morning. As of right now, I'm thinking of buying it. I'm not home, so will have to wait until I am.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Well, I've used it twice. Will have to agree with all the positives! I used it on Friday, don't remember what I used as my li. The dewpoint was in the mid to high 70's. I was doing a craft show on Long Beach Island and had set up Friday night. Was lugging things in from the car--going in and out of air conditioning and outside (you could "cut the air with a knife, it was so 'thick.") I got all sweaty. My hair really held up well, considering what it was like and what I did.

Used it again yesterday. Our dewpoint started out at 70, or so, and dropped slowly throughout the day. Used the MD Peaches & Cream Soft Curl Cream as my li/curl enhancer. My hair looked good all day. Minimal frizz. When I woke up this am, it wasn't bad. If I did second day hair, maybe I would.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FloridaCurlyFloridaCurly Posts: 21Registered Users
    Well, I've used it twice. Will have to agree with all the positives! I used it on Friday, don't remember what I used as my li. The dewpoint was in the mid to high 70's. I was doing a craft show on Long Beach Island and had set up Friday night. Was lugging things in from the car--going in and out of air conditioning and outside (you could "cut the air with a knife, it was so 'thick.") I got all sweaty. My hair really held up well, considering what it was like and what I did.

Used it again yesterday. Our dewpoint started out at 70, or so, and dropped slowly throughout the day. Used the MD Peaches & Cream Soft Curl Cream as my li/curl enhancer. My hair looked good all day. Minimal frizz. When I woke up this am, it wasn't bad. If I did second day hair, maybe I would.

Kathymack - since you have tried a lot of products what product does it resemble the most? I LOVE UFDCM (KCCC not so much) so if it is similar I would be game to try it.
    2C/Fine Texture/Normal Porosity/Normal Elasticity/Very Humid Climate

Kathymack - since you have tried a lot of products what product does it resemble the most? I LOVE UFDCM (KCCC not so much) so if it is similar I would be game to try it.

I'm not sure that I would compare it to anything. It's a great product, that works really well in high dewpoints. I think it should work all year around for me with the right products underneath, but will have to see.

If it was exactly like something else, why would we need it?? I like to have a lot of jelly products in my rotation. It won't replace anything--just be an addition. Am assuming you live in FL, so I think it would be a great product for you to try.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • secret_karmasecret_karma Posts: 438Registered Users

I wanted to try this during the Curlmart sale but I was concerned with the glycerin in it and it was sold out.

Any reviews on how it works on kinky/coily hair?
  • yossarianyossarian Posts: 967Registered Users

I'm not sure that I would compare it to anything. It's a great product, that works really well in high dewpoints. I think it should work all year around for me with the right products underneath, but will have to see.

If it was exactly like something else, why would we need it?? I like to have a lot of jelly products in my rotation. It won't replace anything--just be an addition. Am assuming you live in FL, so I think it would be a great product for you to try.

Well, I would love to have a product that was exactly like KCCC, but with a better smell :)
    I wanted to try this during the Curlmart sale but I was concerned with the glycerin in it and it was sold out.

Me too! The free shipping almost lured me in, until I remembered 1) glycerin and high dews don't mix and 2) I'm moving soon, so no adding stuff.

I'll lurk on this thread and let you guys be my guinea pigs until after I relocate.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
    2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
    Low-poo: Bobeam and CV poo bars; Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell
    Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell; Desert Essence Shea
    Stylers: Sweet Curls Elixir Curl Cream; SM CES
    PT: BASK Whiskey Soak
  • icequeenicequeen Posts: 590Registered Users
    I'm still experimenting with it but struggling with the hold. Smells great, leaves my hair soft, shiny and frizz free but my spiral curls become beachy waves by the end of the day. 2nd day hair isn't great. I'm on vacation and working with well water and low humidity without my usual arsenal of leave-ins so hoping I can get the hold from it when I'm home. Anyone else with hold problems?
    3a Colored, Layered
    Currently loving:
    Cond: CJ Strengthing, Marie Dean, CJ Curl Rehab
    Leave -In: Marie Dean Red Clover, Coconut Lime Detangler and just about the entire line, CJ Rehab
    Gelly: UFDCM, Paul Brown Geletine Goo
    Towel - HG - Curls Like Us

Always use the "Icequeen" method for products
    icequeen wrote: »
    I'm still experimenting with it but struggling with the hold. Smells great, leaves my hair soft, shiny and frizz free but my spiral curls become beachy waves by the end of the day. 2nd day hair isn't great. I'm on vacation and working with well water and low humidity without my usual arsenal of leave-ins so hoping I can get the hold from it when I'm home. Anyone else with hold problems?

No hold problems for me. But, I rarely have issues with hold.

I think there are always issues when one uses water that isn't the usual. We have a vacation home with a water softener. My hair prefers the water at "home." (3 of 4 hardness level when setting up the espresso machine)
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Will post again next week when I'm back home. I am dealing with a water softener and lots of iron. I'm hoping I can get it to hold because I really like the shine and softness from it.
    How much are you using? On towel dried hair or wet?
    3a Colored, Layered
    Currently loving:
    Leave -In: Marie Dean Red Clover, Coconut Lime Detangler and just about the entire line, CJ Rehab

icequeen wrote: »
    Will post again next week when I'm back home. I am dealing with a water softener and lots of iron. I'm hoping I can get it to hold because I really like the shine and softness from it.
    How much are you using? On towel dried hair or wet?

I never use a lot of any product--except FSG and okra gel. Don't have a lot of hair anymore. I have acrylic nails, so I do a backwards dip of my index finger nail, emulsify and spread on my canopy. Bend over and repeat on my underside. Gently comb through and scrunch (do that for each layer.)

Only put products in to soaking wet hair.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • suns4i6esuns4i6e Posts: 77Registered Users

I was also concerned with glycerin so high in the ingredient list but I took the plunge anyway and so glad I did. It's been over 5 weeks that I have been using this as my lone styler and I love it. My hair is kinky-curly, so don't fear it only working for less textured hair types. ;-)
  • secret_karmasecret_karma Posts: 438Registered Users
    suns4i6e wrote: »

I was also concerned with glycerin so high in the ingredient list but I took the plunge anyway and so glad I did. It's been over 5 weeks that I have been using this as my lone styler and I love it. My hair is kinky-curly, so don't fear it only working for less textured hair types. ;-)

Thanks! I'm gonna have to try it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CurlTalk App
  • apolloapollo Posts: 114Registered Users
    Tried it and think KCCC is the best for my hair, don't know why I keep trying to find better...
    3C curly/wavy/kinky hair.
  • asugirlasugirl Posts: 937Registered Users
    apollo wrote: »
    Tried it and think KCCC is the best for my hair, don't know why I keep trying to find better...

How did it work differently than KCCC for you - something in particular you didn't like? Or did you just like KCCC better? (saw your swap post - you got it quick!)

2c/3a - fine - medium porosity & density
  • apolloapollo Posts: 114Registered Users
    asugirl wrote: »
    apollo wrote: »

How did it work differently than KCCC for you - something in particular you didn't like? Or did you just like KCCC better? (saw your swap post - you got it quick!)

I get more frizz with Moptop. It smells really nice though. I may have to play with it a little more to see if it works better without a leave-in. I used Knot Today under it. Have you tried it yet?

I bought it from the Moptop website. I had it up for swap and I changed my mind. Back up for swap again...
    3C curly/wavy/kinky hair.
  • GroYoFroGroYoFro Posts: 237Registered Users
    Greatcurls wrote: »
    On the road (and in the air) again, but I wanted to share my impressions of MopTop's latest styling product, Curly Custard: Wow! and it's a keeper! If you want definition, elongation, and something that's resistant to high humidity, you'll like this.

A little goes a long way, and once in your hair, it slicks out any tangles. And it dries quickly while leaving a shine. If you use too much, just use a little water on it or let the steam from the shower soften your hair. It's water soluble, dries clear, and "plays well" with leave-ins.

I second that : )
    "Life is too short to keep your hair short"

Click here to visit - GRO YO FRO!
  • LauraimesLauraimes Posts: 880Registered Users
    I'm bumping this thread because a friend of mine received a sample of this product and she's really liking it. She's keeping a hair journal right now, so you can see what Mop Top Curly Custard does for her.

When considering the ingredients, it looks like something that my hair might like. From what I've understood, it's relatively light and it has nice hold. Is this right? My hair gets weighed down so easily and I need some hold, otherwise my curls become waves again.

Another questions is whether you can get it in Wallmart or some similar store. My boyfriend is currently in the US so I could ask him to bring me some.

Please let me know :)
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Fine, low porosity, high density, normal elasticity
    Hairtype 2c

Low poo: Petal Fresh Organics Rosemary & Mint Volumizing Shampoo
    Protein: Colorful Neutral Protein Filler
    Detangler/RO: KCKT (winter) or Curl Junkie Beauticurls Argan & Olive Oil (summer)
    Styling: KCCC

Beauty Is Not a Number
  • GreatcurlsGreatcurls Posts: 1,782Registered Users
    Lauraimes wrote: »
    I'm bumping this thread because a friend of mine received a sample of this product and she's really liking it. She's keeping a hair journal right now, so you can see what Mop Top Curly Custard does for her.

When considering the ingredients, it looks like something that my hair might like. From what I've understood, it's relatively light and it has nice hold. Is this right? My hair gets weighed down so easily and I need some hold, otherwise my curls become waves again.

Another questions is whether you can get it in Wallmart or some similar store. My boyfriend is currently in the US so I could ask him to bring me some.

Please let me know :)

Lauramies, you're correct that it's light and has a nice hold. Since it is a concentrated product, the key is using a small amount, especially the first time you apply the product to your hair.

Mop Top products are not available in Walmart. The site has a salon/locator where they can be bought.

HTH
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
    This list is not exhaustive...:happy3:
    CoWash: various
    DT: various

Leave-in
    : CR L/I Collection, various
    Stylers:MC Leave-in, Gorilla Snot
    Spritz/Sealant:Nu-Gro spray w/moisturizer
    *experimenting and loving it!
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    Based on reviews, MTCC seems like one of those products a lot of people fall head over heals for, or fantastically hate. Some of the hate may come from glycerin being so high on the ingredients list.

A similar love/hate inspiring styler is Heaven in Hair (Devacurl). It has glycerin as its second ingredient too.

My hair generally hates concentrated glycerin at just about any dew point, but loves HIH by Deva on a temporary basis (all those quats/polyquats create nasty buildup). I'd try MTCC but I don't want my curls elongated lol ... But maybe if I used less than usual I could preserve the springiness ... hmmm :)
    Funny, I really liked it in the higher dewpoints. Have to remember to use it. Now that our dewpoints are normal, it's okay. I have things I like better. May need to use another layer of product with it.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    Hmmm. HIH seems to work for me in all dew points. Go figure ;)

You know what finally did me in was FSG (at least temporarily). Well, I'm sure I'll rotate back to it, but for now I can't use it because it completely over-conditioned me. I think that's because I didn't realize how high the humidity had climbed. The other problem is that I tend to be heavy handed with product, including the FSG. FSG is great in general, though, so moisturizing and (at least for me) added so much body. But as usual, the lesson is: Moderation. Moderation. Moderation! :tongue10:
  • LauraimesLauraimes Posts: 880Registered Users
    Hmm I don't need my curls to be elongated. If anything, I rather have the contrary happening!

Ah, FSG... Such a fantastic gel. I just think it is convenient to have something else at hand, too.
    F - LP - HD - NE
    Fine, low porosity, high density, normal elasticity
    Hairtype 2c

Low poo: Petal Fresh Organics Rosemary & Mint Volumizing Shampoo
    Protein: Colorful Neutral Protein Filler
    Detangler/RO: KCKT (winter) or Curl Junkie Beauticurls Argan & Olive Oil (summer)
    Styling: KCCC

Beauty Is Not a Number
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,156Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I got a sample of this with my most recent curlmart purchase. I will have to try this out!
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
    This is a nice product but just isn't for me. I've tried it in high and low dew points, with and without leave ins and I just can't get the hold I need. It leaves my hair too soft but it is shiny and smells great. It is on the swap board, if interested.
    3a Colored, Layered
    Currently loving:

• CurlsnswirlsCurlsnswirls Posts: 865Registered Users
    This is a fantastic product!:thumright: