CurlTalk

Johnny Depp celebrates milestone birthday

The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Comments

• Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users
    It's hard to believe he is. I still recall the first time I saw him... Nightmare on Elm Street. Sigh. I always appreciated the fact that he bounced around and did small and wonderfully strange indie films. Some had more success than others. He didn't really get into block busters until his kids were born, and he wanted to make movies they could enjoy. Pretty cool dad, and actor.

I'm sure they will stroke out when they get older and watch Fear and Loathing, Arizona Dreams, etc.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 8,660Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I didn't realize he was 50 either. Looks real good. I can't wait to see "The Lone Ranger". It's coming out tomorrow, so I plan to see it this weekend. Jim and I are dressing up as the Lone Ranger and Tonto for Halloween this year. He'll be the Lone Ranger, so he pretty much has his costume. I have to start searching for mine.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
    Just ordered my Tonto costume....

Amazon.com: The Lone Ranger Sassy Tonto Small: Toys & Games

Fifi, thanks for the eye candy. :glasses8:
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That sounds about right; he was already an adult heartthrob when I was still a kid. Happy B-day!

I have seen this awesome meme of the characters he's played in all of his major films. I want to post it here but can't find it. Anyone know the one I mean?

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,250Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    He definitely gets more delicious with age. I could just spread him on a biscuit. : )
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
    You are welcome, Lotsa! Cute costume :)

Yeah, Johnny is 11 and a half years older than me. I was 10 when I watched NOES. I had a thing for older boys. ;) I was sure I would marry him or John Taylor from Duran Duran. Apparently I had a thing for John's, too.

You are right, Jeep. He is still delicious.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    Is 50 old?
  • journotravelerjournotraveler Posts: 2,816Registered Users
    Is 50 old?

I hope not! :blob2:
    3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.
  • adorame06adorame06 Posts: 572Registered Users
    I♡♡♡ Johnny Depp and I did know he was turning 50, but its still hard to grasp, were 9 years apart in age ( i turn 41 in Dec) I do believe he was my first "Hollywood " crush! I love watching his movies, he just has something special about him on screen, he can really play his characters well. I had to prove to my husband that he played Nancy's boyfriend in Nightmare on Elm Street ( I know my Johnny Depp no need to question my knowledge I told him lol)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using CurlTalk App
    CG on 2/16/2010
    My curls looks like the 3a pictures
    Hair length is to my bra strap, it's fine textured, but the density is thick, not much elasticity, Naturally Blonde but Color treated because of graying going on

My hair loves
    coconut oil
    Homemade FSG
    Hair one for my co wash
    Ecostyler olive oil

Princess Brandy Brat, Chief Jewel Crafter and Royal Nanny to the Court of the Red and White Rose for the Order of the Curly Crusaders.
  • anissafersureanissafersure Posts: 255Registered Users
    Johnny Depp is one beautiful man.
    50 isn't old, but it isn't young either.
    From Michael Berg:

No, 50 is not old at all, imo. It's more of a "time flies" type of thing. I swear he was 21 yesterday.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cailincailin Posts: 898Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    Lotsawaves wrote: »
    I can't wait to see "The Lone Ranger". It's coming out tomorrow, so I plan to see it this weekend.

I like Johnny Depp, I really do. But I'm "meh" about this film, why do we still put white actors in roles where the character is clearly non-white. It's 2013 people, lets get it together.
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,486Registered Users
    He definitely gets more delicious with age. I could just spread him on a biscuit. : )
    ...and eat him up! ;)
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • JulesonlineJulesonline Posts: 444Registered Users
    Fifi.G wrote: »
    You are welcome, Lotsa! Cute costume :)

Yeah, Johnny is 11 and a half years older than me. I was 10 when I watched NOES. I had a thing for older boys. ;) I was sure I would marry him or John Taylor from Duran Duran. Apparently I had a thing for John's, too.

You are right, Jeep. He is still delicious.

Me too! I crushed on him and John Taylor big time!!
    JulesOnline
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3A/B? A corkicelli mix of ringlets, spirals, helixes & s-shaped curls
    Medium-fine texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity

Summer: pink; Winter: Blue; Year Round: green
    Lo-Poo:Giovanni SAS sulfate free poo, L'Oreal Evercream CC
    Co-wash: TNRV, VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea, TNNM
    RO/LI:
    YTC, Nexxus Hydra-light w/ CNPF GVPCB, Biolage CB, TNNM, Giovanni SAS
    Styler: KCCC FSG, BRHG, LALSG

• JulesonlineJulesonline Posts: 444Registered Users
    JulesOnline
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3A/B? A corkicelli mix of ringlets, spirals, helixes & s-shaped curls
    Medium-fine texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity

Summer: pink; Winter: Blue; Year Round: green
    Lo-Poo:Giovanni SAS sulfate free poo, L'Oreal Evercream CC
    Co-wash: TNRV, VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea, TNNM
    RO/LI:
    YTC, Nexxus Hydra-light w/ CNPF GVPCB, Biolage CB, TNNM, Giovanni SAS
    Styler: KCCC FSG, BRHG, LALSG

• StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,682Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I knew he was turning 50 this year but didn't know when exactly.
    1963 was a good vintage imo!
    3b in South Australia.
    cailin wrote: »
    Lotsawaves wrote: »
    I can't wait to see "The Lone Ranger". It's coming out tomorrow, so I plan to see it this weekend.

I like Johnny Depp, I really do. But I'm "meh" about this film, why do we still put white actors in roles where the character is clearly non-white. It's 2013 people, lets get it together.

I agree with you there, but he does such great character roles that I don't think the movie would be as good without him. I'm sure he will make the movie. He's what is making me want to see the movie..Plus Jim and I wanted to do the Lone Ranger/Tonto Halloween thing last year, but I couldn't decide on a costume. Jim did do the Lone Ranger, but I was a saloon girl. I'll put the pic in my avatar. Jim looks hot. Me, not so much. We were surprised to see the movie coming out and decided we had to see it.
    From Michael Berg:

From Michael Berg:

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    OMG, I didn't realize Laurence Olivier had played Othello!:shock::sad1:

What about Yul Brynner in the King & I? That missed the list.

^ Etc, Etc, Etc! I have not read the list yet but I am surprised that is not on there either.

Johnny has always said he has Cherokee heritage, which I am aware how common that tale is, but I honestly do not doubt it. I've always seen it when I looked at him and those beautiful features, but I do live near Cherokee and many of the people on tribal roll are whiter than me. And I am pretty darn see through.

I have read articles where people dismiss that all together and some where people ask if he is native enough. He does come from an area with a large Cherokee/Creek population. Some are not happy that he was adopted by the Cherokee or given a name by the Comanche. Most people I know could care less and are more than willing to give the movie a shot.

He said he got inspiration from a painting of a warrior, which is how he wanted Tonto to be portrayed (as opposed to the side kick) and he felt the need to embrace stereotypes for a moment, to turn them on their head. I'm curious to see how he portrays him.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    OMG, I didn't realize Laurence Olivier had played Othello!:shock::sad1:

What about Yul Brynner in the King & I? That missed the list.

I know. How could they have missed Yul Brynner. I always had such a crush on him.
    From Michael Berg:

I'm glad this reminded me of the article I read about his character motivation. I need to find that again. I wanted to see the painting. I know it was by a female artist, and it sounded pretty interesting.

The warriors face was divided in 4 quarters, which he found to be intriguing, and his guide was a bird in the distance. That is where he got the inspiration to put the bird, Tonto's guide, on his head.

Let your mind be your guide, and all that ;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I saw the movie on Sunday...loved it. I'm googling to try to find a black bird to wear on my head with my costume for Halloween. Jim thinks I'm crazy, :tongue10: but he gets it.
    From Michael Berg: